Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 17:52   #1471
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I am sorry if I was not clear that the 2025 date, but I did clarify what I meant back in 2015.

To still be going on about that after all this time, really, Chris! Perhaps you are just being playful...
I only bring it up when there's a danger of you getting away with re-writing history. The posts are there for anyone to see, but sometimes it's helpful to draw attention to them.

There's no shame in admitting you were wrong - something you seemed to have less trouble doing in 2015 than you do now.
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2020, 17:54   #1472
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Come 2025 it'll be bumped to 2045
2035 it has been for the last 5 years, and that’s not going to change.
Old 05-10-2020, 17:56   #1473
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Gregorian or Hijrah calendar?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 05-10-2020, 18:31   #1474
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Keep digging OB...
Old 05-10-2020, 19:41   #1475
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I only bring it up when there's a danger of you getting away with re-writing history. The posts are there for anyone to see, but sometimes it's helpful to draw attention to them.

There's no shame in admitting you were wrong - something you seemed to have less trouble doing in 2015 than you do now.
I have just been through these posts. I had indeed clarified that I thought broadband would be rolled out to cover virtually the whole country by 2025. I also said ‘things will look different’ by 2025. If you read this in context with the posts at the time, what I meant by that was that by 2025, the advance of the streaming services would help people to understand the way we were going, and the future in my vision would not look so out of place.

I do understand that my comments may have been genuinely misunderstood, and I have apologised for that, but why this is such an issue for some of you I do not understand. It was 2015 when I started that thread, and I clarified the 2035 date in 2015 as well, and so it has remained over the five years since. Clearly, it is not fluid to my mind at all, but nor is it set in stone. Nothing compels the conventional channels to close. It is simply what I believe will happen. You may all disagree, and that’s fine.

But to argue the toss about a minor misunderstanding in 2015, which was fairly quickly clarified, is just obsessive. It’s 2020 now, for God’s sake!

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Keep digging OB...
You will not find any evidence to the contrary, Den.
Old 05-10-2020, 19:49   #1476
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I expect in 2035 they will have found a cure for baldness, colour-blindness, and ingrown toenails.

That’s the joy of forecasting something a generation away on a small forum - no one’s ever going to pick you up on it...
Old 05-10-2020, 20:08   #1477
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I expect in 2035 they will have found a cure for baldness, colour-blindness, and ingrown toenails.

That’s the joy of forecasting something a generation away on a small forum - no one’s ever going to pick you up on it...
Well, normally I'd agree, but Old Boy tends to post a new, identical (apart from the timescale) thread every year drawing attention to his shifts.
Old 05-10-2020, 23:25   #1478
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
You will not find any evidence to the contrary, Den.
If there was a post stating 2035 as your predicted year for the end of linear TV, posted before the post Chris found with 2025 in it, then I think your suggestion that 2025 was the date of far better broadband being available might convince.

But because no one has yet unearthed such a post including you, I am sure you will understand why many of us are healthy sceptics on the issue.
Old 23-10-2020, 21:39   #1479
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I said 2035, and you only need to take thetime to look at the posts to see that this is correct.

The disinformation that some people like to spread on here is quite remarkable, which must be either an indication of desperation, goading, trolling or perhaps early onset dementia.

---------- Post added at 07:43 ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 ----------

Hello, Harry, nice to see you back. I have often wondered what happened to you!

I guess the bit I’ve highlighted clearly shows the difference that VOD brings, and once the majority of the population gets used to it, this will be the way most people will choose to watch TV.

That’s what I believe will happen, but hey, who knows? Others have a different view, which is OK, although for the life of me I cannot see why anyone would seriously believe that methods of viewing will not completely change in time. Even the BBC is planning for the new IPTV world in a decade’s time, and an end to the existing broadcasts by transmitters, which will be a major trigger for this change.

I am sure you cannot have not seen the big change in viewing habits that have been reported over just the few years since you’ve been absent from this thread. In 15 years, I reckon that change will be complete.
Hello Old Boy. I will not be returning very often, you will be pleased to know. In terms of what happened to, me well I got married and brought a house and much to my own amazement, joined SKY!! despite all my bad experiences with them in the past. As a result, I felt it was wrong of me to comment on a Virgin Media forum. Although I could not resist looking to see what the latest on your thoughts on this subject were. it appears I can not resist replying either.

If Netflix want to release viewing figures, it will be very interesting. I have said before Netflix et al, are just replacing DVD's in terms of people not watching linear TV. Sky etc know their viewing figures and will charge advertisers accordingly. Netflix et al will either have succumb to adverts or hike their prices up massively, or and, I am sure you have seen Netflix have, over the years, started selling shows (Orange Is The New Black plus a couple of smaller shows) to linear channels too. Selling shows to linear channels is probably the best way for them to keep there subscription prices down.

To my mind Netflix et al have the following options to survive - Sell content to linear channels, Sell content to their VOD competitors, Put prices up more (look at how much BT Sports costs now compared to when they started) or go to advertising?

What would you do if you were in charge of Netflix? How are you paying off your massive debt, keeping customer costs down without advertising (although, technically, they are advertising through the backdoor by selling The Home Edit products exclusively with John Lewis and Partners) and still producing enough original content to keep justifying the cost you charge by the year "2035" let alone by 2025 - which we all know was your original date?

Please give us your choice. It is your argument that VOD will take over and kill linear. How do you, personally, see it happening when subscribers even out, there is no more real growth, the creditors stop the cash and their debts continue to need to be repaid?
Old 24-10-2020, 21:18   #1480
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Hello Old Boy. I will not be returning very often, you will be pleased to know. In terms of what happened to, me well I got married and brought a house and much to my own amazement, joined SKY!! despite all my bad experiences with them in the past. As a result, I felt it was wrong of me to comment on a Virgin Media forum. Although I could not resist looking to see what the latest on your thoughts on this subject were. it appears I can not resist replying either.

If Netflix want to release viewing figures, it will be very interesting. I have said before Netflix et al, are just replacing DVD's in terms of people not watching linear TV. Sky etc know their viewing figures and will charge advertisers accordingly. Netflix et al will either have succumb to adverts or hike their prices up massively, or and, I am sure you have seen Netflix have, over the years, started selling shows (Orange Is The New Black plus a couple of smaller shows) to linear channels too. Selling shows to linear channels is probably the best way for them to keep there subscription prices down.

To my mind Netflix et al have the following options to survive - Sell content to linear channels, Sell content to their VOD competitors, Put prices up more (look at how much BT Sports costs now compared to when they started) or go to advertising?

What would you do if you were in charge of Netflix? How are you paying off your massive debt, keeping customer costs down without advertising (although, technically, they are advertising through the backdoor by selling The Home Edit products exclusively with John Lewis and Partners) and still producing enough original content to keep justifying the cost you charge by the year "2035" let alone by 2025 - which we all know was your original date?

Please give us your choice. It is your argument that VOD will take over and kill linear. How do you, personally, see it happening when subscribers even out, there is no more real growth, the creditors stop the cash and their debts continue to need to be repaid?

Fill your boots.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/new...-october-2020/
Old 25-10-2020, 00:01   #1481
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think it'd be interesting to see the stats at a more granular level.
Old 25-10-2020, 12:19   #1482
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Quote:
How does Netflix measure viewership? Up until 2020, Netflix’s viewership figures in the past counted where a user watched 70% of the movie/series. Now, viewership counts if someone watches 2 minutes of a title.
Old 30-10-2020, 22:03   #1483
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Wow. What an utterly pointless way to measure viewer stats. Wont worry about looking for Netflix viewing figures in future.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:42   #1484
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

https://variety.com/2020/film/global...st-1234824339/

Netflix are testing a linear channel on their platform!
Old 06-11-2020, 11:44   #1485
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
https://variety.com/2020/film/global...st-1234824339/

Netflix are testing a linear channel on their platform!
Epic quote from Netflix spokesman:

Quote:
“many viewers like the idea of programming that doesn’t require them to choose what they are going to watch.”
to the surprise of (almost) nobody in this thread.
Closed Thread