Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:14   #6931
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So answer why have they not bid for NFL , NBA , MLB in the USA in any significant numbers.
Something which he and others cannot answer but give them time and l am sure they will come up with one..
Old 07-12-2019, 10:15   #6932
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Something which he and others cannot answer but give them time and l am sure they will come up with one..
I just did...
Old 07-12-2019, 10:16   #6933
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Why can you not accept that this may have been a trial run for Amazon? Is this because your economic theory that Amazon would never seriously consider challenging Sky and BT for one or more of the main packages, and could never provide a football offering at a reduced cost, is starting to unravel before your eyes?

Your mind seems very closed to new ideas and fresh ways of doing things.
Why can you not accept that Amazon didn’t bid £5bn for the rights as evidence that the business model is challenging to say the least?

Further to this I see no evidence of football being available in future at reduced cost. I’d be curious to see how those business models are structured given the high cost of the rights.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:16   #6934
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Who says they won't in future? Things change with time, mate.
Well most of your your predictions up to now show up more inconsistencies and contradictions then UK opinion polls..
Old 07-12-2019, 10:18   #6935
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So answer why have they not bid for NFL , NBA , MLB in the USA in any significant numbers.
Or the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga in Germany, Italy or Spain.

The idea that there’s going to be a golden age of low cost football in England financed by Amazon, Google, Facebook or others goes against all logic. These aren’t charities.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:20   #6936
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Who says they won't in future? Things change with time, mate.

People used to say that Virgin would never add Netflix to their platform because there would be no financial advantage to them. I think you were one of them, but forgive me if I misremembered that. Now we not only have Netflix, but we have Amazon and StarzPlay as well, with more to come down the road.

Nothing remains the same forever.
As I expected your standard response.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:20   #6937
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Or the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga in Germany, Italy or Spain.

The idea that there’s going to be a golden age of low cost football financed by Amazon, Google, Facebook or others goes against all logic. These aren’t charities.
Its complete unadulterated bollocks but deep down he knows that anyway...
Old 07-12-2019, 13:31   #6938
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Why can you not accept that this may have been a trial run for Amazon? Is this because your economic theory that Amazon would never seriously consider challenging Sky and BT for one or more of the main packages, and could never provide a football offering at a reduced cost, is starting to unravel before your eyes?

Your mind seems very closed to new ideas and fresh ways of doing things.
It was a trial run for Amazon and those who think otherwise either have their heads buried in the sand and are ignorant to the way tv delivery is changing.
Edit - however if Amazon did get more rights it would come as a cost to the consumer as Amazon can't keep absorbing costs so we could see a sports package added at extra cost.

Edited - thankyou to Denphone for pointing out how my post was originally coming across.

Last edited by Legendkiller2k; 07-12-2019 at 14:05.
Old 07-12-2019, 13:53   #6939
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
It was a trial run for Amazon and those who think otherwise either have their heads buried in the sand and are ignorant to the way tv delivery is changing or they are trolling you mate.
Edit - however if Amazon did get more rights it would come as a cost to the consumer as Amazon can't keep absorbing costs so we could see a sports package added at extra cost.
So l gather those who have a differing opinion to other posters are supposedly trolling according to your logic.

Having differing opinions is not trolling at the end of the day even if it does not agree with your viewpoint of things...
Old 07-12-2019, 14:03   #6940
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So l gather those who have a differing opinion to other posters are supposedly trolling according to your logic.

Having differing opinions is not trolling at the end of the day even if it does not agree with your viewpoint of things...
No just ignorant to what is happening re-read what i post, i suspect one certain poster is trolling OB we know you don't troll. I have always found you to be a very pleasant poster.

I should of worded my post better though.
I have edited it, thankyou for pointing out how it was coming across.
Old 07-12-2019, 14:10   #6941
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
No just ignorant to what is happening re-read what i post, i suspect one certain poster is trolling OB we know you don't troll. I have always found you to be a very pleasant poster.

Sorry its my mistake as well as l do try to be polite and cheery to other posters on this forum.
Old 07-12-2019, 14:38   #6942
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

Oddly enough it was OB who engaged with my post this morning. Not the other way round.

I don't think it's an unreasonable point to make that these rights didn't meet the reserve price, and there's an element of desperation on the part of the Premier League to get a new player into the market as Sky/BT clearly aren't going to bid much higher in the current market state.

Prime, which I subscribe to all year round, in December between free trials and even at £7.99 represents good value.

However even with millions of subscribers at that rate that's not going to add up to a £5bn bid in future for the rest of the rights.

How to get maybe 4 million people to pay in the region of £40 a month gets into the ballpark. Significantly more than Sky Sports on Now TV which frequently has deals.
Old 07-12-2019, 22:25   #6943
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Why can you not accept that Amazon didn’t bid £5bn for the rights as evidence that the business model is challenging to say the least?

Further to this I see no evidence of football being available in future at reduced cost. I’d be curious to see how those business models are structured given the high cost of the rights.
Why can you not accept that Amazon or one of the other tech giants, may well bid billions for future sports rights, based on this successful test?
Old 07-12-2019, 22:48   #6944
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Why can you not accept that Amazon or one of the other tech giants, may well bid billions for future sports rights, based on this successful test?
'May'

Yes I do think these things could happen.

However there is nothing unique or special about England, despite what it may think, so I'd be surprised if the first sojourn into major sports rights (those that cost billions) will be the English Premier League.

You must however accept that this 'test', at minimal cost, bears no resemblance to paying £5bn for sports rights and charging people £30/40 per month every single month of the year.

There's a fallacy that it could be lower cost - however I've no idea where that comes from. Lower costs only comes from being spread across a larger customer base. Where are these people who want to watch Premiership football that can neither get Sky, Virgin Media, BT or Now TV (which I acknowledge is a Sky product)?

Those involved to this point exercise profit maximisation and have experience in the market. Why would/should anyone else be better at it?

There's also a paradox where the more successful the test is at gaining/retaining Prime subscribers the less likely they are to bid for rights. It's a small investment to gain a lot of low hanging fruit. Is £5bn a good investment to get more subscribers taking a product over and above Prime and likely to get a return on investment?

I should point out I've never, ever questioned whether larger players could join the market - I've only questioned how they fund it and get a return on investment over a three year contract. A question that remains outstanding.

I've also always acknowledged that Sky is a Comcast product - we are already in the hands of global players.

Last edited by jfman; 07-12-2019 at 23:35.
Old 07-12-2019, 23:37   #6945
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

It's a test for Amazon, of course I can accept that.

On funding, the metrics of it, we spoke about this before, but think about what Amazon is first and foremost, a retailer. At the most basic level they can flog football shirts, at a more complex level they could use their vast data, to flog far more products and services to football fans and sell that data to third parties, so I wouldn't assume that there would be a £30-40 football sub, it maybe less, more, or none at all.

Where are the customers going to come from, you ask? Simple. If they win the best packages from Sky, it will be Sky customers. Do you think people who are massive football fans would not switch from Sky to Amazon, becuase I think they would. Which leads me to another point and why Amazon or someone else might do this, it knocks the competition out, in fact, it would kill them.

Sky's business model is based on football and from that, all the other stuff like films, Sky Q etc. But it's football first and without it, Sky's whole business would have to change.

As more than half of the country already has a Amazon account, it would not be hard for Amazon to up sell football to those customers wanting it. Or Facebook, or Apple etc.

Finally and I've said before, Amazon are global in nature, so one day it might be PL rights for the UK, next day they might try and get things changed so that they can bid for global rights. There's a lot of Chinese PL fans out there.

Last edited by Horizon; 07-12-2019 at 23:40.
Closed Thread