Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 28-10-2018, 15:40   #4621
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You could say that with quite a few threads in this forum.
True. Probably the result of a relatively small vocal userbase, arguements end up being recycled.
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2018, 15:45   #4622
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Anyone for darts?

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018...arts-coverage/

Eurosport secures exclusive darts coverage

Discovery-owned sports network Eurosport has struck a multi-market deal to exclusively screen major tournaments in the British Darts Organisation (BDO) calendar for the next three years.

Starting from January, viewers in the UK, Netherlands and Australia will be able to watch the three highest-profile tournaments in the BDO calendar – the World Professional Darts Championships in January, this summer’s World Darts Trophy and the BDO World Masters in September – exclusively live on Eurosport.

Discovery-owned free-to-air channel Quest TV will share rights to each tournament with Eurosport in the United Kingdom.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 30-10-2018 at 15:48.
Old 30-10-2018, 17:25   #4623
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

WarnerMedia’s FilmStruck Subscription-Streaming Service to Shut Down.

https://www.wired.com/story/rip-film...treaming-wars/

https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...er-1202998364/
Old 30-10-2018, 18:11   #4624
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
WarnerMedia’s FilmStruck Subscription-Streaming Service to Shut Down.

https://www.wired.com/story/rip-film...treaming-wars/

https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...er-1202998364/
Yes, that didn't last long, did it?
Old 30-10-2018, 18:15   #4625
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Too pricey one suspects..
Old 30-10-2018, 18:43   #4626
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Think of the poor investors!
Old 31-10-2018, 22:04   #4627
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Too pricey one suspects..
As AT&T is launching a new Warner global streaming service next year around the same time as Disney's service, they are shutting some of their other streamers down like this one and a South Korean streamer they owned too.

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So with my subscription I currently watch shows and movies from Sky , NBC Universal , ABC , Fox , HBO , Showtime , Disney , Warner Bros , Paramount , Viacom , UKTV , Discovery , Nat Geo plus much much more.

How much is this liable to cost me when I have to subscribe separately considering I currently get all the above for around £30.
That's the question with the streamers, isn't it?

When it was just Netflix, everything was available under one roof for one price, but currently there are lots of streamers out there.

I expect the media companies to further consolidate next year and then we'll see what happens with regards to the streaming services.

As HBO's streamer is currently priced at $15, not all the current streamers will survive. I would expect each media company to eventually just have one global steaming service, although at what price, I've no idea. And as I reckon there will be only 3-6 global media companies in the end, that's how many streamers there will be too, excluding our UK based ones.

Once the bulk of the cable/sat channels disappear, as I expect they will, we may well opine the days when we could subscribe to so many channels and content for such a relatively small price.

Last edited by Horizon; 31-10-2018 at 22:08.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:39   #4628
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Netflix now appears to be available on Sky Q from today.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:15   #4629
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It is.
Quote:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:45   #4630
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Time for Virgin to keep one step ahead and add Prime to their apps!
Old 01-11-2018, 12:57   #4631
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Time for Virgin to keep one step ahead and add Prime to their apps!
Always the optimist l see..
Old 02-11-2018, 09:18   #4632
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
As AT&T is launching a new Warner global streaming service next year around the same time as Disney's service, they are shutting some of their other streamers down like this one and a South Korean streamer they owned too.

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

That's the question with the streamers, isn't it?

When it was just Netflix, everything was available under one roof for one price, but currently there are lots of streamers out there.

I expect the media companies to further consolidate next year and then we'll see what happens with regards to the streaming services.

As HBO's streamer is currently priced at $15, not all the current streamers will survive. I would expect each media company to eventually just have one global steaming service, although at what price, I've no idea. And as I reckon there will be only 3-6 global media companies in the end, that's how many streamers there will be too, excluding our UK based ones.

Once the bulk of the cable/sat channels disappear, as I expect they will, we may well opine the days when we could subscribe to so many channels and content for such a relatively small price.
There are only three major streaming services available in the UK at the moment - Netflix, Amazon and Now TV.

I would envisage maybe half a dozen popular streamers here altogether with the passing of time (excluding those devoted to sport) and if we use those in place of the existing scheduled channels, the price will be similar to what we pay now for the Full House.

Most of them (like Netflix and Amazon) will be less than a tenner a month. Some (like Hayu on Virgin) will be free to subscribers and others will be bundled by the cablecos at a reduced price, as Sky has done with Netflix and the Sky Box Sets.

The fragmentation of sports coverage and the price of these services is a problem, however, but we will probably end up with three or four main players including Sky and presumably BT. I would not discount Eleven Sports at this stage, but the other main players could possibly include Discovery, Disney or Amazon. The technical issues associated with streaming, including latency, should be resolved over the next couple of years or so.

I think we have much to look forward to rather than be nervous about, and competition between these services should keep prices down to an acceptable level. Just look at how the streaming services have improved our choice of non-sports programming from a few short years ago, offering excellent value for money.
Old 02-11-2018, 15:59   #4633
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There are only three major streaming services available in the UK at the moment - Netflix, Amazon and Now TV.

I would envisage maybe half a dozen popular streamers here altogether with the passing of time (excluding those devoted to sport) and if we use those in place of the existing scheduled channels, the price will be similar to what we pay now for the Full House.

Most of them (like Netflix and Amazon) will be less than a tenner a month. Some (like Hayu on Virgin) will be free to subscribers and others will be bundled by the cablecos at a reduced price, as Sky has done with Netflix and the Sky Box Sets.

The fragmentation of sports coverage and the price of these services is a problem, however, but we will probably end up with three or four main players including Sky and presumably BT. I would not discount Eleven Sports at this stage, but the other main players could possibly include Discovery, Disney or Amazon. The technical issues associated with streaming, including latency, should be resolved over the next couple of years or so.

I think we have much to look forward to rather than be nervous about, and competition between these services should keep prices down to an acceptable level. Just look at how the streaming services have improved our choice of non-sports programming from a few short years ago, offering excellent value for money.
Personally I wouldn't count Now TV for various reasons, it's not comparing like with like. One, it's a Sky owned service without the Sky branding, so if anyone is getting added to the list it's Sky. Two, Now TV doesn't (to my knowledge) commission content unlike Netlfix and Amazon and therefore has no exclusives.

In my head I view Now TV in the same bracket as VM, their parent company Sky or BT i.e. as a deliverer of TV not a creator of content.
Old 02-11-2018, 16:03   #4634
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Old Boy, Having thousands of hours of tv shows and films available at a touch of a button is indeed excellent value for money, I agree.

At the moment I am concerned that "old" Hollywood is just trying to replicate in the streaming world what it currently has in the tv channels world and I don't think this model is viable.

Disney et all, seem to want to launch as many streamers each as possible, rather than sticking everything under one roof. Perhaps a year from now when Apple, Disney, AT&T, possibly Comcast and others launch their services, things may be different, , but we'll see.
Old 02-11-2018, 16:06   #4635
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Personally think a lot of what's being said is pie in the Sky the majority of people will not pay for individual subs bundling content is here to stay for some time.
Closed Thread