Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PM Boris forms a government

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PM Boris forms a government
Closed Thread

Old 13-07-2019, 22:04   #691
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Leadership who is the next PM?

One moderator request for order has been ignored. Ignore this one and the thread will be closed. Debate like adults please and leave out the inflammatory language
Old 13-07-2019, 22:20   #692
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Does using a non-pc term or descriptor make you racist? In general terms.

Johnson has used some questionable language on occasion, the piccaninnie thing was 11 years ago.

The bum boy comment was 21 years ago.

Lots of people, even Prime Minister candidates, say the wrong things sometimes and there is always somebody just ready and waiting to be offended.

I’m not racism or anti LGBTQ+(Add whatever letter you want) but I have made questionable remarks in the past. I’m not proud of it but i’m Human, and I can guarantee that coloured people ( sorry can’t say that ) I meant people of colour, and people on the Gender spectrum ( as that seems to be what it is) are all not nice or PC either.

So can BoJo be PM although over the past 30 years he’s Made the odd PC gaffe? Of course he can don’t be such a muppet.
The odd PC gaffe?

Bringing out the PC excuse is a pathetic argument and one trotted out to excuse the inexcusable. Johnson actually made his picanniny remark in 2002 when he was 38 years old. A man, not a stupid child or inconsiderate teenager.; not back in the 1950's when there was a complete lack of education about minorities.

He said :-Tony Blair would love touring the continent because he will be greeted by “cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies....the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief”.

In 2012 when he was a mere 49 years old (those 49 year olds and their odd PC gaffes) said :-

'Africans would be better off if ruled by white colonisers.

He said: "Consider Uganda, pearl of Africa, as an example of the British record. The British planted coffee and cotton and tobacco, and they were broadly right. If left to their own devices, the natives would rely on nothing but the instant carbohydrate gratification of the plantain. (basically saying monkeys eating bananas)

“The best fate for Africa would be if the old colonial powers, or their citizens, scrambled once again in her direction; on the understanding that this time they will not be asked to feel guilty.”

So yeah the 'odd PC gaffe'.

BTW If you care to, and i doubt you do, just Google the word picaninny and have a look at how this racial trope has been used over the years.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 13-07-2019, 22:56   #693
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
The odd PC gaffe?

Bringing out the PC excuse is a pathetic argument and one trotted out to excuse the inexcusable. Johnson actually made his picanniny remark in 2002 when he was 38 years old
thanks, 17 years ago then .

Quote:
A man, not a stupid child or inconsiderate teenager.; not back in the 1950's when there was a complete lack of education about minorities.

He said :-Tony Blair would love touring the continent because he will be greeted by “cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies....the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief”.
Indeed, his target was Tony Blair and his grandiosing to the commonwealth, he was not targeting the ethnic population, his choice of words was poor, i doubt they were particularly bothered about that at the time.

Quote:
In 2012 when he was a mere 49 years old (those 49 year olds and their odd PC gaffes) said :-

'Africans would be better off if ruled by white colonisers.

He said: "Consider Uganda, pearl of Africa, as an example of the British record. The British planted coffee and cotton and tobacco, and they were broadly right. If left to their own devices, the natives would rely on nothing but the instant carbohydrate gratification of the plantain. (basically saying monkeys eating bananas)
I don’t see any reference to monkeys apart from the one you offered?

Quote:
“The best fate for Africa would be if the old colonial powers, or their citizens, scrambled once again in her direction; on the understanding that this time they will not be asked to feel guilty.”

So yeah the 'odd PC gaffe'.
He is clearly saying that the colonial powers should be investing in Africa, however because they are consistently portrayed as raping and pillaging the sub-Saharan Africa it would be better if those nations welcomed the investment without the baggage.

Quote:
BTW If you care to, and i doubt you do, just Google the word picaninny and have a look at how this racial trope has been used over the years.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
i’m not ashamed, i haven’t done anything. However it’s clear that you are offended by proxy. Crack on and be offended. BTW do you ask for permission from the minorities on behalf of which you are offended?
Old 14-07-2019, 02:39   #694
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Enough of the nonsense in this topic.

The last few posts have been removed, any more of this stupid arguing and admin wrath will be unleashed.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 14-07-2019, 08:26   #695
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

I'll ask this and then leave it as I'm not interested in having to explain why i call out racism when i see it.

Would either of you use the term picaninny or watermelon smile to a person of colour in the context Johnson did?
Old 14-07-2019, 08:59   #696
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'll ask this and then leave it as I'm not interested in having to explain why i call out racism when i see it.

Would either of you use the term picaninny or watermelon smile to a person of colour in the context Johnson did?
No, But that isn’t the point of the thread. You’re claiming the Johnson is a racist, and I don’t share that view.
Old 14-07-2019, 09:03   #697
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
No, But that isn’t the point of the thread. You’re claiming the Johnson is a racist, and I don’t share that view.
The very fact you wouldn't and Johnson wouldn't makes my case.
Old 14-07-2019, 09:17   #698
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
The very fact you wouldn't and Johnson wouldn't makes my case.
It doesn’t do anything, a poor choice of words here and there doesn’t make him racist, I haven’t seen any actions that would reinforce that view.
Old 14-07-2019, 09:24   #699
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The fact you believe being called ‘pinkskin’ (Something you made up) is akin to the word picaninny is beyond abhorrent! Go and Google what picanniny means and how it was used! In fact go and ask a black man if he thinks he’s hypersensitive when you use it to his face!

The trouble with racists Mod Edit - inappropriate comment removed is they would happily use these words in company they feel comfortable in or behind the safety of a keyboard but wouldn’t use them in front of a gay man or black man.

Mod Edit - inappropriate comment removed
I did not make up the word 'pinkskin'. It was used regularly by a very white alien bully as an insult to American pioneers in a Star Trek series. So it was made up, but not by me.
Old 14-07-2019, 10:18   #700
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I did not make up the word 'pinkskin'. It was used regularly by a very white alien bully as an insult to American pioneers in a Star Trek series. So it was made up, but not by me.
Shame on you for watching that American trash. What was wrong with Blakes7 ?

Boris is unfit to PM, there seems to be wide agreement on that across politics and more importantly with the public. It isn't an entertainment post, Celebrity Come be a Buffoon With Me, it's not. Looks like he will be PM but I predict for a very short time, when his lack of any credible Brexit plan is exposed and the country pays a heavy price. if Labour don't get rid of him, his own side will.
Old 14-07-2019, 10:26   #701
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Bit unfair to single out Boris as having no credible Brexit plan
Old 14-07-2019, 10:30   #702
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

Boris is unfit to PM, there seems to be wide agreement on that across politics and more importantly with the public. It isn't an entertainment post, Celebrity Come be a Buffoon With Me, it's not. Looks like he will be PM but I predict for a very short time, when his lack of any credible Brexit plan is exposed and the country pays a heavy price. if Labour don't get rid of him, his own side will.
Yes. I think the role of PM favours extroverts over introverts but that doesn't mean that extroverts can't read and digest briefing papers.
Looking further ahead, Nick Boles is suggesting Ken Clarke as a potential unity government leader for the autumn. https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status...25733381148673
Old 14-07-2019, 10:57   #703
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
That's a fair point.
Old 14-07-2019, 11:10   #704
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
For fear of straying off topic, I agree no one has such a plan.
Old 14-07-2019, 12:49   #705
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I watched that as well, Mr K, I am not a one-trick pony, you know!

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Quote:
As I said before, Boris will prove to be very popular with the electorate. He will repeat the Maggie Thatcher story in terms of keeping the Conservatives in power with a very decent majority.

And just like Maggie, he will anger the extreme left, and eventually after much noise and fuss, they will realise that they need to appeal to the centre ground in order to regain power.

Things are beginning to seem much more optimistic from where I stand, but I don't expect that you will be much impressed!
Closed Thread