Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recommendation for router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Recommendation for router

Old 10-01-2005, 09:00   #1
charikaar
Inactive

charikaar is an unknown quantity at this point
Recommendation for router

Can anyone please recommend a decent router.I've 3 computers and want to enable ICS on them using a single IP. These computers are placed in different rooms.

A friend told me router is what i need for my ntl 300k cable modem but i am not sure what extra components I'll need in addition to router i.e cables etc(straight or x-ver).

I think ebay would be a good place to grab a bargin if you recommend a decent brand.

Thank you for help in advance.

Charikaar
charikaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2005, 09:12   #2
Electrolyte01

Re: Recommendation for router

If your looking for a bargin router I would recommend the following:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=52897

I have one of them, and so far i'm very impressed with the price. It's very small, but is packed with features.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:13   #3
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Originally Posted by charikaar
Can anyone please recommend a decent router.I've 3 computers and want to enable ICS on them using a single IP. These computers are placed in different rooms.

A friend told me router is what i need for my ntl 300k cable modem but i am not sure what extra components I'll need in addition to router i.e cables etc(straight or x-ver).

I think ebay would be a good place to grab a bargin if you recommend a decent brand.

Thank you for help in advance.

Charikaar
If you get a router - then you will not need to use ICS, as the router sits between your CM/STB and your computers

Brand wise, I would recommend Linksys or Netgear - although if money is an object, Belkin are pretty reasonable and normally very cheap.

you will need to run a straight through Cat 5 cable from each PC to the router, and another from the router to the CM/STB.

each machine will need a network card (you can pick them up for about £10 each these days).

If money is no object - then maybe look at a wireless setup - that way you don't have cables running from room to room. (WiFi PCI cards can be got as cheaply as £20, and the router will be a little more expensive).

HTH
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:25   #4
charikaar
Inactive

Thanks very much both of you. your advice really helped.

Charikaar
Old 10-01-2005, 09:28   #5
gary_580

Dont buy a Linksys one. I was recommended the Linksys Wireless router and bought one. It has never worked wirelessly properly. I persistently get diconnects from the wireless PC to the router. Linksys tech support is a waste of time too.

If you scan the net a little bit you will find that its a well known problem.
Old 10-01-2005, 14:57   #6
charikaar
Inactive

Zovat wrote
"you will need to run a straight through Cat 5 cable from each PC to the router, and another from the router to the CM/STB"

is there any difference between cat 5 and cat 5e because i can't find long enough cat 5 cable in my area.

Thank You

Charikaar
Old 10-01-2005, 15:00   #7
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Zovat wrote
"you will need to run a straight through Cat 5 cable from each PC to the router, and another from the router to the CM/STB"

is there any difference between cat 5 and cat 5e because i can't find long enough cat 5 cable in my area.

Thank You

Charikaar
cat5e will be fine - you only need cat5c, but cat5e will work fine..
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 15:04   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Zovat wrote

Thank You

Charikaar

Not for the purposes of NTL connection. Basically Cat 5e cable is needed if you want to use a gigabit (1000Mb/s) network. Your NTL connection is currently 1.5Mb (at most) and even if you have a home network, you are not likely to need more than 100 Mb/s

Having said that for a 100Mb/s or below network, you can use the two cables interchangably.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 15:40   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
Dont buy a Linksys one. I was recommended the Linksys Wireless router and bought one. It has never worked wirelessly properly. I persistently get diconnects from the wireless PC to the router. Linksys tech support is a waste of time too.

If you scan the net a little bit you will find that its a well known problem.
I had the same problem with mine, in the end I changed the channel that the router was transmitting on to one that was as far from the default channel as possible.....Problem Solved
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 17:33   #10
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
I had the same problem with mine, in the end I changed the channel that the router was transmitting on to one that was as far from the default channel as possible.....Problem Solved
Interference from a digisender or microwave maybe? Never had any probs with my Linksys (touch wood!).
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote