Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help setting up network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help setting up network

Old 09-01-2005, 16:25   #1
MJB
Inactive

MJB is on a distinguished roadMJB is on a distinguished road
Question Help setting up network

I've been checking on here for the last 24 hours gathering info on how to set up a home network.

I have a PC, with a Linksys wirelessg router (WRT54-G) and a laptop using a wireless card, plus another PC running from a wireless network adaptor.

I thought I was doing OK (as I have internet access working fine) but someone has just informed me that I need to configure encryption on the router to stop neighbours or anyone else "accidentally" looking at my files etc. The downside is I don't know how to do it and now I'm a bit worried

Is there anyone who can talk me through whatever I need to do please? All machines are using XP pro BTW.
MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2005, 16:33   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Help setting up network

For starters you could have a look at

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/78/ho...reless-network in the knowledgebase.

Depends how paranoid you are! At minimum you want to change the default SSID and hide it. Then you either do WEP and/or MAC filtering, all of which should be pretty straightforward on the Linksys.

Have a read an let us know if you get probs.

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 16:41   #3
MJB
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
For starters you could have a look at

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/78/ho...reless-network in the knowledgebase.

Depends how paranoid you are! At minimum you want to change the default SSID and hide it. Then you either do WEP and/or MAC filtering, all of which should be pretty straightforward on the Linksys.

Have a read an let us know if you get probs.

HTH
Thanks for this. I've read it and am even more baffled It tells me about different things but not HOW to actually do it. And which one do I choose as there doesn't seem to be a definitive method?

Is 'enabling encrytion' done on my PC or do I have to physically do something to the router?
Old 09-01-2005, 16:42   #4
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby

go to http://192.168.1.1 and enter password (default is admin). You will then be able to change the required settings
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 22:23   #5
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
Thanks for this. I've read it and am even more baffled It tells me about different things but not HOW to actually do it. And which one do I choose as there doesn't seem to be a definitive method?

Is 'enabling encrytion' done on my PC or do I have to physically do something to the router?
MJB,

A quick guide to setting these options:

1. Changing and hiding SSID - This is straightforward as it is an option on the main screen of the Linksys router admin page. Open the page as jellybaby suggested and change the SSID name to something other than Linksys (eg MJB) and disable SSID broadcast. On your wireless clients you will need to add the hidden SSID to the 'Prefered Networks' list in the Wireless Networks properties tab for the wireless card. (If you're using SP2, have a look here for screen shots - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0804.mspx)
This will make sure that casual observers cannot see your wireless network.

2. MAC address filtering - On the Linksys admin pages there should be a Wireless tab (probably under advanced). On there you will see something like 'Station MAC Filter' enable/disable. With all your own clients active, click on the Active MAC table and write down the MAC addresses shown. Then click on 'Edit MAC Filter' to enter these MAC addresses.
Once this is enabled only those MAC addresses you know about can connect - even if others can work out your hidden SSID.

These two steps above will deter any casual 'freeloaders' wanting to use your bandwidth.

If you are concerned about encryption then you can enable WEP.

The WEP is enabled on the Linksys in the same place as the SSID hiding. Clicking on WEP settings allows you the generate a key using a word of your chosing. This WEP key must be delivered (Cut/paste to file and transfer by floppy/USB key) to each client. Each client must be configured (using the prefered networks tool above) to use the same key.
128 Bit WEP is usually enough to ensure that you home network is not eavesdropped.

HTH
Old 09-01-2005, 22:29   #6
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Cor, didn't know we had a knowledge base on here...

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 22:52   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybaby
go to http://192.168.1.1 and enter password (default is admin). You will then be able to change the required settings
I would STRONGLY suggest that you change this password as soon as you get a chance.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 22:54   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
MJB,

A quick guide to setting these options:

1. Changing and hiding SSID - This is straightforward as it is an option on the main screen of the Linksys router admin page. Open the page as jellybaby suggested and change the SSID name to something other than Linksys (eg MJB) and disable SSID broadcast. On your wireless clients you will need to add the hidden SSID to the 'Prefered Networks' list in the Wireless Networks properties tab for the wireless card. (If you're using SP2, have a look here for screen shots - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0804.mspx)
This will make sure that casual observers cannot see your wireless network.

2. MAC address filtering - On the Linksys admin pages there should be a Wireless tab (probably under advanced). On there you will see something like 'Station MAC Filter' enable/disable. With all your own clients active, click on the Active MAC table and write down the MAC addresses shown. Then click on 'Edit MAC Filter' to enter these MAC addresses.
Once this is enabled only those MAC addresses you know about can connect - even if others can work out your hidden SSID.

These two steps above will deter any casual 'freeloaders' wanting to use your bandwidth.

If you are concerned about encryption then you can enable WEP.

The WEP is enabled on the Linksys in the same place as the SSID hiding. Clicking on WEP settings allows you the generate a key using a word of your chosing. This WEP key must be delivered (Cut/paste to file and transfer by floppy/USB key) to each client. Each client must be configured (using the prefered networks tool above) to use the same key.
128 Bit WEP is usually enough to ensure that you home network is not eavesdropped.

HTH
Nice post.

One thing that I would add is that when you are changing any settings on your router it is best to do it from a machine that is Hardwired to it. That way (if you nause up the wireless settings) you won't lose connectivity!

Good luck, if you get any problems just post back here. I've got the same router myself and it's an abolute gem!
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 22:59   #9
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

All the info you need is right here.

HTH.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:32   #10
MJB
Inactive

Thanks a million everyone. You're all stars.

I'm hoping to get it sorted by the end of the week
Old 10-01-2005, 20:11   #11
MJB
Inactive

OK, I've spsent all day playing around and have hit a few problems.

Firstly, when I renamed my SSID the laptop refused to connect to the internet via the wireless card. As soon as I changed it back to the default, it worked.

My biggest headache now is this:
I've set up my main PC to connect to two laptop which are BOTH hardwired to the router (if that's the correct term i.e. NOT wireless). Both the laptops will see each other's files I've designated and the ones on my main PC. However, my main PC will only see one of the laptops! When I try to look at the other one I'm told it cannot find the network, yet both are set up exactly the same. I've been ythrough the proccess three times today and ended up having a row with myself over it

Any ideas?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:59   #12
Aragorn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB

Firstly, when I renamed my SSID the laptop refused to connect to the internet via the wireless card. As soon as I changed it back to the default, it worked.
Did you change the SSID on the laptop as well?

With the new name did the laptop connect to the router? Could you ping (**) the router or the other systems at the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
My biggest headache now is this:
I've set up my main PC to connect to two laptop which are BOTH hardwired to the router (if that's the correct term i.e. NOT wireless). Both the laptops will see each other's files I've designated and the ones on my main PC. However, my main PC will only see one of the laptops! When I try to look at the other one I'm told it cannot find the network, yet both are set up exactly the same. I've been ythrough the proccess three times today and ended up having a row with myself over it

Any ideas?
First thing I would check as above is whether you can ping all the computers :

** How to Ping (Apologies if you know this!) - On each system open a command prompt (<Start>,<Run>, "cmd") and type

ipconfig /all

When you have all your local IP addresses (should be 192.168.1.nnn, probably 100 upwards for default Linksys) you should verify that all systems can see each other,eg :

ping 192.168.1.100

If any one cannot see the others there is some connectivity issue with the router.

If everyone can see everyone else, try doing :

net view \\computername
or
net view \\<ip address>
on the system with problems

Let us know if these produce errors. If the bottom works but not the top there could be a name resolution problem. If both fail, there could be a security accounts problem. If so, have a look in the event viewer (<start>,<run>,"eventvwr") in the Security log for any failed logins and post back.

HTH (and apologies if I've missed anything obvious)
Old 12-01-2005, 08:32   #13
MJB
Inactive

Quote:
First thing I would check as above is whether you can ping all the computers :

** How to Ping (Apologies if you know this!) - On each system open a command prompt (<Start>,<Run>, "cmd") and type

ipconfig /all

When you have all your local IP addresses (should be 192.168.1.nnn, probably 100 upwards for default Linksys) you should verify that all systems can see each other,eg :

ping 192.168.1.100

If any one cannot see the others there is some connectivity issue with the router.
This is now my issue. My main PC cannot see my laptop as the ping times out and all packets lost. Now what? It sees my other laptop!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:14   #14
Mags
Inactive

Mags is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
This is now my issue. My main PC cannot see my laptop as the ping times out and all packets lost. Now what? It sees my other laptop!
Have you got the Windows XP firewall enabled on either of the machines? If so, this may be blocking the pings from getting through?

at the command prompt, immediately after typing the ping command, type arp -a. e.g, my machine is 192.168.1.100, if I ping 192.168.1.5 which exists on my network, I get the following -

E:\>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.100 --- 0x6
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.1.5 00-a0-24-cb-d4-84 dynamic

If I ping 192.168.1.6 which doesn't, I get this -

E:\>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.100 --- 0x6
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.1.6 00-00-00-00-00-00 invalid

Note the Physical address is all 0's and type is invalid

If you get the former and the ping isn't working, the most likely cause is you have a firewall on the machine

Mags
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:25   #15
Aragorn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
How about the other way around? Can the laptop ping the PC?

Have you tried backing out the wireless changes?

Did you try the Net View command to that laptop anyway? Some firewalls may block a ping but allow Netbeui (netbios?) traffic.

You could also look at differences between the two laptops, eg look at the properties of the connection on each machine and check that they have the same services running (see attachment for example).

HTH