Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do i need a router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do i need a router?

Old 31-12-2004, 14:09   #16
iron25
Inactive

iron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful one
Re: Do i need a router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman_uk
Im still failing this test!!!

I still really need help, why am i getting 4 bad things on this test (http://www.securitymetrics.com/portscan.adp) and why are none of them stealth... all my friends have stealth!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stepha...portscanlog.htm

Here are the 4 things that are open

SSH - Secure Shell (SSH) uses encryption to secure information sent over a network. While it typically improves security there are numerous problems with older versions of SSH which may allow brute force attacks.

DNS - Domain Name Services are used to tell other computers what your IP address is. There are several exploits associated with this service.

HTTP - World Wide Web services allow you to publish web pages to the Internet. There are hundreds of severe security vulnerabilities associated with this service. Keep your WWW server software updated.

HTTP Proxy - HTTP Proxy provides a way for a hacker to pretend to be your computer. Others who may have been hacked may see your computer address and want you to justify why you hacked them.

It listed possible fixes and for the SSH port 22, it said update to the latest SSH which i did, i downloaded SSH Secure Shell Client and installed but it still comes up as danger.

For the DNS port 53, it said rt click network icon & select properties\rt click local area network icon & select properties\select TCP for your nic & click properties\click advanced button\click DNS tab\remove check next to Register this connection's address with DNS" - then disable DNS Client Service.

I did that but it still comes up as danager and the port is still open!

any idea how to fix these error things? im really worried, i dont want to get hacked (if i am)

I'm sitting behind a router and I have sygate installed, I clicked on the link and I got the same danger status as you did and I don't see being a problem. I don't even have ssh running on my pc!
iron25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-12-2004, 14:17   #17
iron25
Inactive

iron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful one

Go here http://scan.sygate.com/probe.html and scan using the sygate website.

here is the result I got:

This is the public IP address that is visible to the internet.
Note: this may not be your IP address if you are connecting through a router, proxy or firewall.

Trying to gather information from your web browser...

Operating System = Windows NT 5.2
Browser = Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0

Trying to find out your computer name...

Unable to determine your computer name!

Trying to find out what services you are running...

Unable to detect any running services!

I also clicked the stealth scan and the results showed that all were blocked apart from WEB PROXY but that is my router.
iron25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 18:45   #18
deadman_uk
Inactive

deadman_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I ran the file sharing test and got 2 - signs on it...

Quote:
Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
Quote:
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.
On the common ports scan i failed... one port is open
PORT 1025
One or more unspecified Distributed COM (DCOM) services are opened by Windows. The exact port(s) opened can change, since queries to port 135 are used to determine which services are operating where. As is the rule for all exposed Internet services, you should arrange to close this port to external access so that potential current and future security or privacy exploits can not succeed against your system.

For the all service ports test, i failed again... same thing... port 1025 open
deadman_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 18:55   #19
deadman_uk
Inactive

Iron i tried the sygate scan, i always pass that but other scans say i fail.

the post i just wrote i had port 1025 open, i just found out how to close it and now i pass the test on all shields up. I blocked port 1025 for incoming traffic.

I still fail the 4 tests on the other site, how do i make all my ports stealth?
Old 31-12-2004, 20:03   #20
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Have you tried running Hijackthis, post your results on here and someone will be able to tell you if there is anything on your PC that is attempting unauthorised outgoing activity.

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 20:59   #21
deadman_uk
Inactive

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 20:59:07, on 31/12/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\NMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Deadman\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: CCHelper Class - {0CF0B8EE-6596-11D5-A98E-0003470BB48E} - C:\Program Files\Panicware\Pop-Up Stopper Pro\CCHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NTIECatcher Class - {C56CB6B0-0D96-11D6-8C65-B2868B609932} - C:\Program Files\Xi\NetTransport 2\NTIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Pa&nicware Pop-Up Stopper Pro - {B1E741E7-1E77-40D4-9FD8-51949B9CCBD0} - C:\Program Files\Panicware\Pop-Up Stopper Pro\popuppro.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [STYLEXP] C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe -Hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions present
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all by Net Transport - C:\Program Files\Xi\NetTransport 2\NTAddList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download by Net Transport - C:\Program Files\Xi\NetTransport 2\NTAddLink.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\npjpi142_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\npjpi142_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...o.cab30149.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: O&O Defrag - O&O Software GmbH - C:\WINDOWS\System32\oodag.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Data Service - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005\RpcDataSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Service - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005\RpcSandraSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
O23 - Service: StyleXPService - Unknown - C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
Old 31-12-2004, 22:50   #22
daxx
Inactive

Services: All XL
daxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to daxx Send a message via AIM to daxx Send a message via MSN to daxx Send a message via Yahoo to daxx

results from sygate

We have determined that your IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
This is the public IP address that is visible to the internet.
Note: this may not be your IP address if you are connecting through a router, proxy or firewall.

Trying to gather information from your web browser...
Operating System = Windows 2000
Browser = Firefox 1.0

Trying to find out your computer name...
Unable to determine your computer name!

Trying to find out what services you are running...
Unable to detect any running services!

Using a router and Zone Alarm, which has yet to fail me on any 'reputable' security checks. I know for a fact that several services are running but are currently operating in stealth mode

The grc site as usual shows full stealth mode on a full scan, just what I like to hear
daxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 18:27   #23
deadman_uk
Inactive

can someone look at my hijack this log please?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:44   #24
goldchip
Inactive

goldchip will become famous soon enoughgoldchip will become famous soon enoughgoldchip will become famous soon enough

Just some things to consider:
1. a router/firewall combo will only stop inbound connections - it won't stop anything on your pc connecting to the internet. ( At home I use NIS and a router combo)
2. Stealth is a whole other argument. The RFC (Request For Comment) dealing with this issue says that ALL network connected devices (your PC), MUST answer to certain calls - such as a ping. Personally I prefer my firewalls to disregard ALL traffic not initiated from within. (That's my personal opinion, and goes against the RFC - as long as I can enable again to troubleshoot then I'm happy).
3. Unless you have a service (such as DNS, HTTP, etc on your box, then even if the port is open - there is nothing to connect to.
4. Some sites that test your connection (sygate?) will say that you should install their software *just in case* - sounds like someone trying to scare people into buying to me - again my personal opinion.
goldchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 22:51   #25
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman_uk
can someone look at my hijack this log please?
Here is the response I promised you via PM, thought I would post it in case it may be of some help to others.

From a known hijackthis expert, re your logfile.

the log looks clean except for this :-

If you want to keep MessengerPlus but didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t
choose the option to refuse the advertising then please uninstall the copy you have then download
it again and when you get to the Sponsor Agreement select the option which reads,†™I Refuse,
do not install the sponsor programââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢.

HTH
Jim.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote