Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ntl//d-link Di-524//os X 10.3.7 - Help!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ntl//d-link Di-524//os X 10.3.7 - Help!!!

Old 20-01-2005, 20:26   #1
TheCableGuy
Inactive

TheCableGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Ntl//d-link Di-524//os X 10.3.7 - Help!!!

OK, this is probably really simple but i'm at a loss.

I have two Macs, an iBook and a G3 iMac and NTL 750k broadband via a Cable Modem.
I purchased a D-Link DI-524 4 port 802.11g wireless router (this is a US model) and decided to network the two together.

Trying to set up the router i discovered i cannot access the configuration screen.

I previously used a Linksys router that i used to share my old broadband connection so i tried that one, but i can't access the config menu on that either.

Seeing as i haven't changed any of the Network settings apart from installing the NTL connection via the setup CD i really can't work this out.

I've tried changing the IP addresses and Subnets of the computers to fit in with the router, but nothing seems to work.

I can connect to NTL fine via the modem, and the WAN light on the router is on when connected, i just can't get into the config menu to do anything about it...

D-Link support can't work it out and i can't find any useful info on either Apple's site or NTL's.

Any advice or ideas will be greatly received!
TheCableGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2005, 23:19   #2
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Re: Ntl//d-link Di-524//os X 10.3.7 - Help!!!

What's the default IP of the router?
e.g. If it's 10.0.x.x you need to
a) have the same IP range 10.0.x.x
b) use the same subnet

In other words, a router on 192.168.254.254 would not be able to communicate with a PC on 192.100.0.1 or 10.10.10.50 but would be able to on 192.168.0.1... the first two octets are important.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 23:21   #3
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones

i think it is 192.168.0.1 on d-link ones as default.......
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 11:34   #4
TheCableGuy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M
What's the default IP of the router?
e.g. If it's 10.0.x.x you need to
a) have the same IP range 10.0.x.x
b) use the same subnet

In other words, a router on 192.168.254.254 would not be able to communicate with a PC on 192.100.0.1 or 10.10.10.50 but would be able to on 192.168.0.1... the first two octets are important.
Yep, IP address on computer is set to 192.168.0.2 with router on 192.168.0.1.

really can't work this one out, think i'm gonna try and do a clean install of OS X on my iPod and boot from that to see if its something to do with the way NTL has modified the system.
Old 21-01-2005, 11:47   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableGuy
OK, this is probably really simple but i'm at a loss.

I have two Macs, an iBook and a G3 iMac and NTL 750k broadband via a Cable Modem.
I purchased a D-Link DI-524 4 port 802.11g wireless router (this is a US model) and decided to network the two together.

Trying to set up the router i discovered i cannot access the configuration screen.

I previously used a Linksys router that i used to share my old broadband connection so i tried that one, but i can't access the config menu on that either.

Seeing as i haven't changed any of the Network settings apart from installing the NTL connection via the setup CD i really can't work this out.

I've tried changing the IP addresses and Subnets of the computers to fit in with the router, but nothing seems to work.

I can connect to NTL fine via the modem, and the WAN light on the router is on when connected, i just can't get into the config menu to do anything about it...

D-Link support can't work it out and i can't find any useful info on either Apple's site or NTL's.

Any advice or ideas will be greatly received!

I have a couple of questions:

Is the router connected, via Ethernet to the cable modem?

Are you conneciting to the router via a wired or wireless connection?

If connecting via a wireless connection, do you have good reception? There should be an indicator that looks like the highlighted icon on this:

Are you allowing the router's DHCP server to assign IPs? By default it does assign IPs from 192.168.0.2 onwards. If it is assigning IPs, make sure your Mac is set to pick up the IP address (& DNS Servers) automatically.

I found that with my Dlink router, it worked pretty much out of the box, but I did have to plug a computer into it, and configure the wireless network before I could get that working (I think it's turned off by default).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 17:25   #6
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableGuy
Q1: What, exactly, happens when you try?

Q2: Have you checked to see whether your Macs have any web proxies defined?
rdhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 21:15   #7
TheCableGuy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle
I have a couple of questions:

Is the router connected, via Ethernet to the cable modem?

Are you conneciting to the router via a wired or wireless connection?

If connecting via a wireless connection, do you have good reception? There should be an indicator that looks like the highlighted icon on this:

Are you allowing the router's DHCP server to assign IPs? By default it does assign IPs from 192.168.0.2 onwards. If it is assigning IPs, make sure your Mac is set to pick up the IP address (& DNS Servers) automatically.

I found that with my Dlink router, it worked pretty much out of the box, but I did have to plug a computer into it, and configure the wireless network before I could get that working (I think it's turned off by default).
Connected via ethernet cable.
I can't get into the router config menu to sort the DHCP server.

I've tried setting a manual IP and using DHCP but neither works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhw
Q1: What, exactly, happens when you try?

Q2: Have you checked to see whether your Macs have any web proxies defined?
Yup, no proxies.
Old 31-01-2005, 11:50   #8
TheCableGuy
Inactive

Just thought i'd let you all know the source of the problem...

The router had a dodgy power supply!
The lights were all coming on as should be and it appeared to be working fine but it couldn't draw enough power to function as it should.

One replacement power supply later and all is well in router land.

Everything worked as it should, and i was set-up in 5 minutes!