Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Router - STB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Router - STB

Old 18-01-2005, 10:02   #16
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat
Re: Wireless Router - STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
I use the Linksys WRT54GS, its the worst piece of junk i've ever owned. I had 2 PC's connected to it, one was hard wired and the other was wireless. The wireless one was only in the next room but it was persitently diconnecting and reconnecting. The Linksys support is worse than useless, all they get you to do is keep changing frequency until you give up the will to live. The only way i managed to resolve this was to hard wire both PC's which defeats the object of having a wireless router.

My advice would be to avoid Linksys. You dont have to google very much to see that there are many many cases of this same issue.
I have not seen this - but having done a google - it appears that this is a bug in Windows, rather than a specific linksys issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Ars
As it turns out, if you use the Microsoft Windows XP SP 1-based Wireless Zero Configuration service to manage your wireless (aka, the "built-in client"), you're probably running into a horrible bug that Microsoft calls "behavior by design." The gist of this is as follows: if your wireless network is set to not broadcast your SSID, Microsoft's wireless manager will periodically drop your non-broadcasting WiFi connection in response to the presence of a broadcasting SSID-based network. You won't fully associate with that network, but the service will pop-up and tell you that there are multiple wireless networks to join, even if you have removed all other networks from your preferred settings (this contradicts Microsoft's report, which says it only affects preferred networks). The upshot of this is that you, the user who changes his default SSID and then sets it to not broadcast (as most security guides, and most hardware setup guides will tell you to do), now gets dropped off your network when you neighbor shows up with his new D-Link wireless router and not only fails to change the SSID from default to something else, but does not turn off broadcasting, either. While many may debate the security benefits of disabling SSID broadcast, it is a practice that is recommended by most manufacturers of wireless products.
The biggest problem seems to be if you hide your SSID - mine is not hidden, as my PDA will not connect if it is (Dell Axim issue), but even when I had it hidden for a month or so, I did not have any problems.

If you feel that the Linksys is not for you, then there are product from Netgear and D-Link that sem to be pretty stable (again, I only comment on those that I know work from either setting up for friends/family, or discussions with other techies on what kit they use.)

HTH

It does appear that they have had some quality issues as well, but I know a large number of people (including myself) who use this router, and have had trouble free use since purchase.
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2005, 11:10   #17
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Am looking to go wireless pretty soon, so this is useful info re the Linksys WRT54GS - thanks all.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 11:59   #18
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Had exactly the same problem with this router.

Phoned Linksys Support, moved the frequency to the one which was furthest from default, problem solved.
Wireless devices will (and have to) accept interference from other wireless devices. Sometime a bit of fiddling is necessary.

my disconnects happen with no pattern, some times every 2-3 mins and other times its once in half an hour. I've tried all the frequencies, ive even tried hacked firmwares but nothing seems to resolve it totally

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovat
I have not seen this - but having done a google - it appears that this is a bug in Windows, rather than a specific linksys issue.

Where did you find that? I use XP SP2 btw
Old 18-01-2005, 13:34   #19
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
my disconnects happen with no pattern, some times every 2-3 mins and other times its once in half an hour. I've tried all the frequencies, ive even tried hacked firmwares but nothing seems to resolve it totally

Where did you find that? I use XP SP2 btw
here

It may have been fixed by SP2 - but I whouldn't think so..

Have you tried using the wireless drivers supplied with the card ? - This report states that it it the MS wireless drivers that display the issue..

Also do you have the SSID hidden, if so try broadcasting it, and see if the problem continues .
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 13:38   #20
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovat
here

It may have been fixed by SP2 - but I whouldn't think so..

Have you tried using the wireless drivers supplied with the card ? - This report states that it it the MS wireless drivers that display the issue..

Also do you have the SSID hidden, if so try broadcasting it, and see if the problem continues .
i'm definately using the Linksys drivers for the card. Regarding if SSID is hidden, i dont know and will have to check but i assume it isnt as i have never really changed any of the router settings
Old 18-01-2005, 14:58   #21
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

Services: BT, nowhere near 8meg, phone and Sky.
bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road

i have the 54g myself and have never had a prob even when doing a firmware upgrade, its a great piece of kit. Had installed with SP1 and now SP2, no issues and the SSID (XP Pro SP2 laptop connected wirelessly with nothing less than 80% signal) is hidden though to be fair i have never used the XP wireless wizard to set up my network
bucketbakereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 17:13   #22
gary_580

Just to confirm SSID Broadcast is set to enable
Old 18-01-2005, 18:54   #23
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
i have never really changed any of the router settings
Well, that might be the cause of your problems. You need to set the SSID to a unique string, not leave it at the default "Linksys" or whatever. If you leave it at the default, your laptops etc cannot tell your base station apart from any other base station called "Linksys" in your neighbourhood, and will randomly reconnect to the wrong base station.

Also, visit the Windows Update web site, run a "Custom Install" search, and download any updated drivers for your laptop wireless cards. This can make a big difference.
rdhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 07:15   #24
dwe01
Inactive

dwe01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice, I'm leaning towards the :
Belkin 54g Wireless Cable/DSL Router any feedback regarding this make and model. I've read extremely polarized views. Belkin have high speed 54g model on the market any views on spending the extra cash.

Another question, sorry, has any one got any experience of some the 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 "pen type" adapters or is best to stick to PCI cards. This will be going into a desktop, with usb round the back.
Thanks

David
dwe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 09:10   #25
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhw
You need to set the SSID to a unique string, not leave it at the default "Linksys" or whatever. If you leave it at the default, your laptops etc cannot tell your base station apart from any other base station called "Linksys" in your neighbourhood, and will randomly reconnect to the wrong base station.

Also, visit the Windows Update web site, run a "Custom Install" search, and download any updated drivers for your laptop wireless cards. This can make a big difference.
Yes, i had already done both of those.

My point is, once it has connected on boot up it shouldnt be losing its connection and having to reconnect at all.
Old 19-01-2005, 09:36   #26
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

PCI cards are better.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 09:42   #27
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
PCI cards are better.
Old 19-01-2005, 11:20   #28
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
PCI cards are better.
The OP asked whether USB or PCI wireless adapters are better.

Unless you're challenging my assertion...

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote