Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router Problem - No Internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Router Problem - No Internet

Old 15-01-2005, 01:32   #1
Bytecon
Inactive

Services: VIP Package
Bytecon is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Router Problem - No Internet

Hi,

I'm new to these forums and was wondering if someone could help me.. ?

I got NTL broadband installed a while ago and I also have an Actiontec Wireless Cable/DSL Router. I am having a few problems with the internet, my setup is as follows:

Code:
Cable Modem  >> Ethernet >> Router >> Wireless >> PC
Whatever I try, I cannot get internet on the computer. I have changed many things on the router and I have set the MAC address of the cable modem on the router, this appeared to get me connected as on the status page, it shows the following:

Code:
IP - 10.191.64.xxx
Subnet Mask - 255.255.246.0
Gateway - 10.191.71.254

DNS #1 - 194.168.8.100
DNS #1 - 194.168.4.100
Some of these setting looked strange to me .. including the subnet mask and the IP address doesn't look like a common NTL one.

Basically, I'm pretty sure the network is all working ok, it all reads as ok and I can get to the router config etc... But I still don't get it, whatever I try I can't get internet, I would appreciate if someone would help me resolve this issue..

Thanks,
Michael
Bytecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2005, 01:44   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Router Problem - No Internet

can you ping ip addresses and domain names? can you traceroute to something outside your local network?

Do you have any wireless security or mac filtering set up?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 01:47   #3
Bytecon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath

can you ping ip addresses and domain names? can you traceroute to something outside your local network?

Do you have any wireless security or mac filtering set up?
I haven't tried pinging other ip addresses, but I did try msn messenger, which didnt work but I know that would usually work if theres a DNS problem.

About the security - no, the network is just open at the moment. What would mac filtering do? I did change the WAN MAC address to the one of my modem, if that's what you mean?
Old 15-01-2005, 01:50   #4
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

You shouldn't have changed the mac of the router to that of the modem- reset that back to it's default.

To ping, open a command prompt (start -> run -> cmd ) then type
ping www.bbc.co.uk and see if you get replies
then type ping 212.58.224.121 and see if you get replies there.

If you don't get replies from either, type
tracert www.bbc.co.uk -h 5
and post the results back here.

EDIT: mac address filtering is a security setting which will allow/deny listed mac addresses access to your network. Oh, and once you get your network running, setup some security!!!! - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 02:26   #5
Bytecon
Inactive

I don't think it's the MAC of the router? It specifically asks for the WAN MAC, if I leave it at the default it shows the WAN connection as disconnected .. any ideas ?
Old 15-01-2005, 02:47   #6
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

The router should definately NOT have the MAC adress of the cable modem cloned into it. It should either be left at default as Monkeybreath said or have the MAC address of a connected system network card cloned in.

As it is getting late and I am going to bed, if you are still about have a read of Robin Walkers guide at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/
If that doesn't help you then someone will be about later or in the morning
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 09:56   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

You need to remove the MAC cloning from the router.

Does your internet connection work if you bypass the computer? Try connecting the PC directly to the CM. You may need to follow the steps I've given below for rebooting everything (obviously ignore the bit about the router at this stage). The order that you do this is very important!

Looking at your original post, it would appear that the CM is connected via ethernet to a PC which is then connected to a router. Please tell me that isn't so. It should be connected as follows:

CM >>>>> ROUTER >>>>> (All Computers)

Most routers have a specific port for connecting to the modem as well.

If your connection works when you connect PC directly to CM then try the following after reconnecting as I have specified above:

1. Power everything off
2. Power the CM on and leave until the lights settle
3. Power the router back on and leave until the lights settle
4. Power the PC on and leave until the HDD activity drops to a minimum, now log in and test the connection.

If this doesn't work then we will need to explore other avenues.

Do you have a firewall running on the machine? What OS are you using?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 10:00   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Forgot to mention that it's probably best to try all of this with the PC hard-wired into the router if you can. That helps to avoid any confusion if the wireless thing starts to play up!!

Once your internet os working getting the wireless connetion going again should be a doddle.
Old 15-01-2005, 10:03   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytecon
Hi,

I'm new to these forums

Sorry, I missed that the first time 'round, what was I thinking

Morning Bytecon,

to CF!

Kick off your shoes, sit back, relax, and enjoy your stay
Old 15-01-2005, 14:33   #10
Bytecon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
You need to remove the MAC cloning from the router.

Does your internet connection work if you bypass the computer? Try connecting the PC directly to the CM. You may need to follow the steps I've given below for rebooting everything (obviously ignore the bit about the router at this stage). The order that you do this is very important!

Looking at your original post, it would appear that the CM is connected via ethernet to a PC which is then connected to a router. Please tell me that isn't so. It should be connected as follows:

CM >>>>> ROUTER >>>>> (All Computers)

Most routers have a specific port for connecting to the modem as well.

If your connection works when you connect PC directly to CM then try the following after reconnecting as I have specified above:

1. Power everything off
2. Power the CM on and leave until the lights settle
3. Power the router back on and leave until the lights settle
4. Power the PC on and leave until the HDD activity drops to a minimum, now log in and test the connection.

If this doesn't work then we will need to explore other avenues.

Do you have a firewall running on the machine? What OS are you using?

Thanks for all the help, I ended up phoning my router's tech support and they got it sorted out.
Old 16-01-2005, 20:09   #11
Robtor
Inactive

Robtor is an unknown quantity at this point

How did they get it sorted out? Just for us who have similar problems.
Robtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 20:20   #12
Raistlin
Inactive

Yeah, I'd be interested to know as well.
Old 16-01-2005, 20:46   #13
Bytecon
Inactive

Basically, they went through all the basic steps ... most of which you had mentioned before (resetting etc ..)

It turned out, the MAC address of the computer needed to be set in the router which I believe someone mentioned above but I didn't have time to try it.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 16-01-2005, 20:59   #14
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytecon
It turned out, the MAC address of the computer needed to be set in the router
How odd.....