Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Advice Needed/Help Required

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Advice Needed/Help Required

Old 03-01-2005, 13:34   #1
Checky
Inactive

Checky is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Checky
Advice Needed/Help Required

Afternoon and Happy new year to ya all

Basically, am looking to go wireless due to having family moving in and wanting to use the internet as well anyways, i dont really want to run mass cables around the house.. so im after advice on which wireless router to get and which cards work well and easy to configure .. im looking to do it easierly, i dont really wanna be having to think too much on it, too much New Years booze i just have a few specifics that need to be taken into account

a, I would like to be able to control how much bandwidth the other machines use,

b, will allow me easy access to their machines so i can sort them out without really moving from my machine, im lazy like that

The internet setup at the moment is basically, Ntl stb .. i think its the 1000 series by Page, not sure, connection comes through that... in M32 area if that matters at all, main machine is Xp pro based, 2nd machine also xp pro, and the 3rd machine is 2k Pro,

Anymore Info needed please just ask i will be happy to help

Checky

edit, Ps any links to sites/products with the prices of equipment would also be of much help
Checky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2005, 13:46   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Advice Needed/Help Required

Moved to Computers & IT.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 13:49   #3
Checky
Inactive

hehehe... i spotted that

also another point is i would like the router to also have a built in firewall,

^just so this post aint completely useless

Checky
Old 03-01-2005, 14:37   #4
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Hi,

You'll need somthing like this for your router...
Wireless Cable/DSL Broadband Router 4-port (802.11G) £35.24

Built-in firewall to protect your Intranet.
VPN support: pass through of PPTP, L2TP, and IPSec. (to control the other pc's)

Plus 1 of these for each pc thats connects, You probably won't need to bother for the one thats next to your cable modem already just use one of the ethernet ports to wire to that (you'll get the best speed as well)

Belkin Network Adapter / Wireless Usb 2.0 802.11g £22.91
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 15:42   #5
Checky
Inactive

Thank You for reply.. looks pretty good and shouldnt be too hard to set up, when i gets it and get stuck, i know where to come to

Thanks

Checky
Old 03-01-2005, 17:30   #6
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

if possible install wireless pci cards instead of usb... for example...

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=41594

Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote