Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | LAN Bandwidth Control?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

LAN Bandwidth Control?

Old 28-12-2004, 21:28   #1
IanL
Inactive

IanL is an unknown quantity at this point
Question LAN Bandwidth Control?

Hi from a newbie. I have tried to search before posting, because this problem must be far from unique, but no luck.

I have a four-user LAN here at home, two on ethernet out of a Netgear RP114 router, and two on a Netgear ME102 Wireless Access Point, which is also connected to the router. The router connects via ethernet to an NTL Cable Modem.

My problem is that one user on wireless frequently uses a filesharing utility, which grabs 95% (or more) of the rather limited bandwidth NTL laughingly describes as 300k, and I'd describe as 50k, judging by the download speeds attainable.

The question is: Can anyone can advise whether my hardware has the ability (which I have not been able to discover for myself), to limit this user to a fairer share, or whether there is a relatively inexpensive device I can buy to achieve this. Most grateful for any help.
IanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2004, 21:45   #2
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age
Re: LAN Bandwidth Control?

I've been through the same FRUSTRATING scenario before/now

If you haven't got any bandwidth control on the router (have a snoop around the router config pages maybe? i cannot find anything about traffic management on it) or can install a limiter on the person's computer, but with knowledge, they could just simply disable it then from past experience, you're out of luck.

From what i read, for some odd reason the feature seems to only be on more expensive models, ones that are not necessarily aimed at small home network.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 22:48   #3
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwn
I've been through the same FRUSTRATING scenario before/now

If you haven't got any bandwidth control on the router (have a snoop around the router config pages maybe? i cannot find anything about traffic management on it) or can install a limiter on the person's computer, but with knowledge, they could just simply disable it then from past experience, you're out of luck.

From what i read, for some odd reason the feature seems to only be on more expensive models, ones that are not necessarily aimed at small home network.
Surely if there is only 1 Admin and the rest are Standard Users, then only the admin could only disable features?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 23:03   #4
IanL
Inactive

Many thanks, brilliant responses This board is the bees knees, or rather, it's contributors are

I never thought of a software solution, but with that mention, I went to Google with "Bandwidth limiter utility" and got http://www.softperfect.com/products/bandwidth/ , which, as suggested, can be installed on clients but controlled by the admin. If a client deleted the utility, the admin would know.

Only snag - you have to input the rule every time the client is booted, or pay $99.00 for the full version.
Old 28-12-2004, 23:13   #5
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanL
Many thanks, brilliant responses This board is the bees knees, or rather, it's contributors are

I never thought of a software solution, but with that mention, I went to Google with "Bandwidth limiter utility" and got http://www.softperfect.com/products/bandwidth/ , which, as suggested, can be installed on clients but controlled by the admin. If a client deleted the utility, the admin would know.

Only snag - you have to input the rule every time the client is booted, or pay $99.00 for the full version.
Are you gonna take the plunge and pay the $99.00 then?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 23:23   #6
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

4 users - 300k? Why not up the speed to 1.5Mb?
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 23:48   #7
IanL
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A
Are you gonna take the plunge and pay the $99.00 then?
I'll see how we get on with the trial version first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
4 users - 300k? Why not up the speed to 1.5Mb?
Er, the money....
Old 29-12-2004, 00:17   #8
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

hmmm You said "a user on a filesharing program"

Sure you may ahem discover the $99 program there?
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2004, 23:16   #9
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

If they are on the wireless side, lock the wireless speed to the minimum (1 Mbit won't actually throttle it, but but the increased packet delay will give the non wireless systems a head start.

Alternatively, insist the user makes appropriate speed limits in the program, or else!
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 00:28   #10
IanL
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth
If they are on the wireless side, lock the wireless speed to the minimum (1 Mbit won't actually throttle it, but but the increased packet delay will give the non wireless systems a head start.
I tried that, but couldn't see an improvement.
Quote:
Alternatively, insist the user makes appropriate speed limits in the program, or else!
Good thinking, but would you believe that that program has no built-in control?

However, I've found a program called NetLimiter which does the same thing for each individual program which accesses the Internet, so fingers crossed...
Old 31-12-2004, 00:33   #11
IanL
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJames
hmmm You said "a user on a filesharing program"

Sure you may ahem discover the $99 program there?
As the actress said to the bishop - you should see the queues