Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What is CR3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

E4 in the Nottingham Area

Old 08-07-2003, 22:12   #1
monkeytennis
Inactive

monkeytennis is an unknown quantity at this point
E4 in the Nottingham Area

i've noticed that for a long time now E4 has had a pretty dire picture quality compared to the other channels, seems theres some form of compression along the way leading to jagged edges and pixellation.
In my uni house in Stafford this wasnt the case the picture quality was good as with the other channels, any one have any idea why E4 has such a naff picture in this area??
monkeytennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2003, 22:13   #2
matty4donna
Inactive

matty4donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to matty4donna
welcome to nthellworld

Have you contacted CS about this yet? It could be that Channel 4 are spending less on the transmission since BB is doing so bad
matty4donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 22:22   #3
monkeytennis
Inactive

Quote:
Originally posted by matty4donna
welcome to nthellworld

Have you contacted CS about this yet? It could be that Channel 4 are spending less on the transmission since BB is doing so bad

cheers no i havent contacted anyone about it yet, just wondered if anyone could shead any light....
it's been like this since sometimes last yr but i'd forgetten about it when i went to Stafford, it's really bugging me now though!
Old 08-07-2003, 22:32   #4
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman
Hiya,
It will not do much good to call Faults as we have no choice in the bitrate used to transmit E4, This will be agreed by E4 and ntl at a set level and will be adheared to.
However if you do feel that this does require checking into then feel free to contact one of the mods/admin who can then forward your account details onto me and I'll look into it for you. Russ knows that I work for ntl, the others I cannot speak for , though I'm sure that they are aware I am Mark J (CLT) from the .com.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 23:06   #5
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age
It's quite well known that for some reason, E4 choose to broadcast at 3/4s horizontal resolution. This makes it look pretty bad. I don't understand why E4 spends a lot of money buying popular american shows (Friends, West Wing, 6 Feet Under, ER etc) and then makes them look so bad.

Oh, there is also a fault in Langley regions which causes the STB to send a widescreen picture letterboxed rather than anamorphic, even if 16:9 is selected. This causes widescreen TVs to zoom in, reducing the vertical resolution aswell, resulting in an even more terrible picture...
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 23:13   #6
monkeytennis
Inactive

thanks for the replies folks, i expect i'll just have to deal with it as i thought it would be something e4 and ntl would have decided upon for whatever reason.
why just this area tho? the nottingham system is crap enough as it is with virutally nothing on the interactive, is bandwidth really THAT tight?? and why e4 of all channels... why not bidup.tv?!
Old 08-07-2003, 23:14   #7
matty4donna
Inactive

matty4donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to matty4donna
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeytennis
and why e4 of all channels... why not bidup.tv?!
lol
matty4donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 23:41   #8
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeytennis
thanks for the replies folks, i expect i'll just have to deal with it as i thought it would be something e4 and ntl would have decided upon for whatever reason.
why just this area tho? the nottingham system is crap enough as it is with virutally nothing on the interactive, is bandwidth really THAT tight?? and why e4 of all channels... why not bidup.tv?!
Bandwidth is a lot less tight than is used to be, but the resolution E4 is broadcast at is their decision, not NTL's. If you want to complain, write in and tell E4 to stop being tight and start giving us decent pictures...
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote