Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Multi-IP

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Multi-IP

Old 25-05-2023, 10:55   #1
privateland
cf.member

privateland is an unknown quantity at this point
Multi-IP

Hello all. New to forum in a desperate search to find out how to make use of the five IP addresses I have in a new service.
VM technical support or customer support can offer me no solution to this (no idea why, but nobody there admits to knowing how it works).

My Hitron router is in modem only mode (because mutli-IPs force it to do so), and I have that connected to my Zen Wifi router. Output from there is to a switch (zyXel GS1100-16) which distributes the signal and assigns private IPs (192.168.x.x) to PCs and devices in the premises.

What the Zen Wifi router can't do is assign the WAN Ips (other than the gateway).

Is my signal path all wrong for this? Do I need to purchase another managed switch (as opposed to the unmanaged one)?

Not a networking export, but not a complete idiot. managing multi IPs is straightforward on a Windows ot Linux box, but this is a new paradigm for me which I assumed Virgin would help solve.

Any assistance advice or pointers gratefully accepted.

Cheers
john
privateland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2023, 14:50   #2
privateland
cf.member

privateland is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Multi-IP

Bump for this?
privateland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 19:10   #3
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Does this help?
Unifi with Virgin Media Business (5 Static IPs)
Quote:
So, over the last week I had a bit of a trial by fire in setting up Virgin Media with 5 Static IP’s so I thought id document it here so if anyone else runs into this, the can hopefully get working sooner.
The VM community area might be a help.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 16:55   #4
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Presuming the Virgin hub is still doing the GRE tunnel you would have to manually assign one of your static IP's to the WAN interface on your router.

On most consumer routers this would be done by disabling DHCP on the WAN interface and setting the static IP address. This could be any one of your static addresses from Virgin. Virgin should have given you the Subnet and Gateway to use if memory serves me correctly.

You would have to read the manual on your "Zen WiFi Router" to see if / how it supports multiple public ip addresses on the WAN interface. A basic consumer router might not.

You can make use of these with pfSense as your router / firewall, one such example how to here: https://bobcares.com/blog/pfsense-multiple-wan-ip/
Old 09-06-2023, 21:26   #5
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

The Hitron isn't actually in modem mode when you have static IP addresses, but WiFi is disabled as is NAT, so it appears as if it is.

In order to use your multiple fixed IP addresses you simple configure the devices you connect to the Hitro with the static IP address manually, usign a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248 (since you said you had the 5 IP address service) then also configure the gateway address of the devices you connect to the Hitron to be the Hitron IP address itself (which is usually the first static address in your block).

If you want to use more than one of your fixed IP addresses on the router you connect to the Hitron you will need a router that supports multiple addresses ont he same WAN interface. Draytek routers do - they call then IP aliases.

I have this exact setup so will help if I can
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote