Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1471

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Old 22-05-2023, 18:41   #1
johnmc
cf.member

johnmc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, all. I just missed a call on my landline today (twisted pair). I dialled 1471 to see who the caller was and it is just blank.
Tried again from my mobile and again it's blank. No message at all.

Rang 150 and the answer was that 1471 is included but as I haven't got VOIP it can't be connected. HUH??????

I have been with VM for over 20 years and haven't had VOIP at all over this period.

Apparently they will have to send some hardware to switch to VOIP.
johnmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2023, 19:15   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: 1471

Sounds like the usual crap/lies they come out with (that's assuming they even understood you if the you got through to that cheapo offshore call centre).

I,m not on VOIP but have had 1471 for years. Maybe they're saying this to manipulate you into switching over to VOIP early as everyone will have to eventually??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 20:10   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Maybe the call originated from a VOIP connection, beside it is esay to withhold your number from 1471 and has been for years, you just dial 141 first.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 20:46   #4
johnmc
cf.member

johnmc is an unknown quantity at this point

The engineer turned up, ran a wire from the hub to an extension phone socket. Now have VOIP.

He said that VM - and all providers - are moving over. Because of the huge number of users my "local office" decided to turn off 1471. Anyone who noticed would be fast tracked to VOIP and they'd pick the others up later.
johnmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 21:33   #5
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

So Richard is wrong yet again. CS were correct.
Old 07-06-2023, 18:13   #6
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
So Richard is wrong yet again. CS were correct.
Find it hard to take either too seriously
Old 21-06-2023, 11:30   #7
Terry4947
cf.member

Terry4947 is an unknown quantity at this point

With the oncoming VOIP system, which is basically receiving your telephone calls through your internet modem, as you pay for the internet, why should you have to pay for a 'Land line' as well, which will have no use.

Many companies now are doing away with the landline charge, as it is cheaper and a better service (Unless you live in a very rural area), and you can get a very good mobile phone package (and a new phone every few years ) for a lot less than the land line rental charge.
I am still under contract with Virgin Media (agreed a price , 2 months later they increased the price.), but when the contact finishes I will be looking elsewhere for my TV and broadband services, and switch to a mobile phone only.

Last edited by Terry4947; 21-06-2023 at 11:34. Reason: spelling error
Terry4947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 18:52   #8
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry4947 View Post
With the oncoming VOIP system, which is basically receiving your telephone calls through your internet modem, as you pay for the internet, why should you have to pay for a 'Land line' as well, which will have no use.

Many companies now are doing away with the landline charge, as it is cheaper and a better service (Unless you live in a very rural area), and you can get a very good mobile phone package (and a new phone every few years ) for a lot less than the land line rental charge.
I am still under contract with Virgin Media (agreed a price , 2 months later they increased the price.), but when the contact finishes I will be looking elsewhere for my TV and broadband services, and switch to a mobile phone only.
Used to have land line price listed separately not any more , paying for nothing. It's the one thing that really bugs me about using virgin , looked back at bills can't see when I last paid a call charge.
Old 23-06-2023, 11:00   #9
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Used to have land line price listed separately not any more , paying for nothing. It's the one thing that really bugs me about using virgin , looked back at bills can't see when I last paid a call charge.
Maybe because some or all calls are included in the package. (At least calls less than 1 hour!)

But even if you don't have a separate line you do have a service.