Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2019, 13:31   #5731
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The vexed question is how long will it survive..
You just aren't being positive enough. Have you not seen a field of dreams?

If you build it they will come.
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2019, 13:33   #5732
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You just aren't being positive enough. Have you not seen a field of dreams?

If you build it they will come.
Its not about being positive as its about being realistic.
Old 19-07-2019, 13:38   #5733
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Its not about being positive as its about being realistic.
My comparison with a film about time travelling ghosts playing baseball in a corn field was deliberate.
Old 19-07-2019, 14:11   #5734
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I certainly won't be paying Britbox £5.99 for content I already have access to.
Old 19-07-2019, 14:23   #5735
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
And l suspect yours is a very representative view MM.
Old 19-07-2019, 14:28   #5736
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogGuy View Post
Great info! Many thanks. i was getting angrier at the whole "summer" deadline and tweeted a rant at them.

Glad to see we now have definite information!
Old 19-07-2019, 14:30   #5737
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
As I understand it, Britbox will contain original and archived content not available elsewhere from BBC, ITV and possibly Channel 4. I am hoping that Virgin will bundle their streaming services and throw Britbox UK in as part of it. Well, we can dream...
Old 19-07-2019, 14:37   #5738
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I was surprised to read that the BBC has only a 10 percent share in Britbox. ITV has 90 percent. No mention of anyone else.

From the viewers point of view, I fail to see how all these payable streaming services are better than the current system where both new and old series are available to watch on channels even in the cheaper bundles. Will the older programmes be pulled from channels such as Drama to go onto Britbox thus forcing the channels to close down?
Old 19-07-2019, 15:00   #5739
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As I understand it, Britbox will contain original and archived content not available elsewhere from BBC, ITV and possibly Channel 4. I am hoping that Virgin will bundle their streaming services and throw Britbox UK in as part of it. Well, we can dream...
Sky have agreements for both BBC and ITV Boxsets certainly enough to make it not worth me paying £5.99 for this epecially when it's content I've seen many times.
Old 19-07-2019, 21:37   #5740
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sky have agreements for both BBC and ITV Boxsets certainly enough to make it not worth me paying £5.99 for this epecially when it's content I've seen many times.
I would not pay a bean for it if it was only archived material. I guess it depends how much in the way of original material also finds its way on here.

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
I was surprised to read that the BBC has only a 10 percent share in Britbox. ITV has 90 percent. No mention of anyone else.

From the viewers point of view, I fail to see how all these payable streaming services are better than the current system where both new and old series are available to watch on channels even in the cheaper bundles. Will the older programmes be pulled from channels such as Drama to go onto Britbox thus forcing the channels to close down?
The big advantage is being able to see what you want, when you want, but a substantial proportion of the (mainly older) population has yet to make that conversion of faith and still tend to stay with the scheduled TV channels for the majority of their viewing.

I believe that all the UKTV channels will close at some point and so those programmes would then be found only on Britbox. I have read that this will happen sooner rather than later, but I am not yet convinced that it will happen in the next couple of years. I would not rule it out, though.
Old 19-07-2019, 21:46   #5741
jfman
Architect of Ideas

The big advantage is being able to see what you want, when you want.

Or as it's known to the general population "watch TV" across the range of linear, on demand, catch up and streaming. Unless you watch old shit. In which case they have more, if you missed it first time.

The revolution is here, Comrades.
Old 19-07-2019, 21:52   #5742
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
The big advantage is being able to see what you want, when you want.

Or as it's known to the general population "watch TV" across the range of linear, on demand, catch up and streaming. Unless you watch old shit. In which case they have more, if you missed it first time.

The revolution is here, Comrades.
Hi, jfman. Thought that would wake you up.
Old 19-07-2019, 22:31   #5743
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Hi, jfman. Thought that would wake you up.
It’s a pleasure to be here.

Economics lessons Saturday.
Contract law Sundays.

All welcome to participate

Can’t do this all week every week. Believe it or not people pay me for my thoughts in another sector, but I don’t want to lose objectivity here. So will post less.
Old 19-07-2019, 22:41   #5744
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Those agreements are time limited, muppetman, so make the most of it while you can.

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:
It’s a pleasure to be here.

Economics lessons Saturday.
Contract law Sundays.

All welcome to participate

Can’t do this all week every week. Believe it or not people pay me for my thoughts in another sector, but I don’t want to lose objectivity here. So will post less.
It's a pleasure to spar with you, jfman, but I sometimes think that if you would explain your thinking a little better, we may disagree less.
Old 20-07-2019, 02:01   #5745
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Well, at £5.99 per month, it will be interesting to see the impact of the Britbox experience!
Closed Thread