Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 21-06-2013, 08:18   #2086
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
Wasn't this idea put about before but the EU would rule this was a cartel arrangement and therefore illegal.
It may well of been, but I believe (may be wrong, happy to be corrected) Barcelona and Real Madrid sell their games on tv to their fans in Spain. How would that be different to the scenario just posted I wonder?
Besides, even if that suggestion was illegal, there should be nothing stopping the Premier league setting up a rival channel as competition to Sky/BT etc.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2013, 17:57   #2087
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I don't know, but I do know that English football as a whole would be healthier and probably less prone to financial management in pursuit of the money the Premier League (not EPL or English Premier League, thank you very much!) brings. A season where the club that wins the FA Cup, but has to effectively give up on the resulting European place because regaining its Premier League place is more important than anything else, and that is solely because of the money involved, just makes me a bit sad, really.
I have to agree the Premier League IMO has been the ruin of Football in this Country. Its all about money and nothing else the richest clubs are at the top year after year and true competition for the League title has disappeared. As someone who stood on the terraces at White Hart Lane in the 1960's it saddens me see the state of football in the Country today. Very little of the money generated by the EPL makes it to grass roots football and that is why we have few youngsters coming through who are truly world class (Jack Wilshire) is the only one who come to mind. The Spanish and Germans grasped the nettle over 10 years ago and look at them now. The FA have overseen this terrible situation come to pass. I apologise for this rant in advance, but it saddens me to see this happen.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 18:28   #2088
andrewbrown
cf.addict

Services: TiVO, V+, XL TV, L Broadband and Superhub, M Phone
andrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I have to agree the Premier League IMO has been the ruin of Football in this Country. Its all about money and nothing else the richest clubs are at the top year after year and true competition for the League title has disappeared. As someone who stood on the terraces at White Hart Lane in the 1960's it saddens me see the state of football in the Country today. Very little of the money generated by the EPL makes it to grass roots football and that is why we have few youngsters coming through who are truly world class (Jack Wilshire) is the only one who come to mind. The Spanish and Germans grasped the nettle over 10 years ago and look at them now. The FA have overseen this terrible situation come to pass. I apologise for this rant in advance, but it saddens me to this happen.
Spot on. Tickets in Germany are between €15-25 a game. Tickets in England are £35-70 per game. Season ticket at Bayern Muenchen is €150, my season ticket at Anfield was £850...
andrewbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 18:36   #2089
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrown View Post
Spot on. Tickets in Germany are between €15-25 a game. Tickets in England are £35-70 per game. Season ticket at Bayern Muenchen is €150, my season ticket at Anfield was £850...
More a symptom of rip off Britain
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 18:41   #2090
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

The Spanish and Germans have managed to create world class leagues full of great players and highly paid foreign stars whilst keeping prices affordable for their fans, their clubs financially solvent (in Germany at least) and strong in European competition, and, ensuring that their national teams remain competitive. If those are the factors by which you measure success then the Premier League simply hasn't been one.
Old 21-06-2013, 18:42   #2091
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
More a system of rip off Britain
Absolutely and l cannot see nowt changing.
Old 21-06-2013, 21:47   #2092
piquet41
Inactive

Location: Bournemouth (where the sun never stops shining - lol)
Services: VM. VIP pack 152meg BB, TiVo & V+HD box on XL tv pack with Sky Sports BT Sports & Movies HD. XL Phon
piquet41 has a spectacular aura about thempiquet41 has a spectacular aura about thempiquet41 has a spectacular aura about thempiquet41 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I have to agree the Premier League IMO has been the ruin of Football in this Country. Its all about money and nothing else the richest clubs are at the top year after year and true competition for the League title has disappeared. As someone who stood on the terraces at White Hart Lane in the 1960's it saddens me see the state of football in the Country today. Very little of the money generated by the EPL makes it to grass roots football and that is why we have few youngsters coming through who are truly world class (Jack Wilshire) is the only one who come to mind. The Spanish and Germans grasped the nettle over 10 years ago and look at them now. The FA have overseen this terrible situation come to pass. I apologise for this rant in advance, but it saddens me to see this happen.
Totally agree.

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Quote:
The Spanish and Germans have managed to create world class leagues full of great players and highly paid foreign stars whilst keeping prices affordable for their fans, their clubs financially solvent (in Germany at least) and strong in European competition, and, ensuring that their national teams remain competitive. If those are the factors by which you measure success then the Premier League simply hasn't been one.
Agree again. What I would like to see is an "Football/EPL channel" I could then subscribe to Sky Sports and not bother with "Rip-off" EPL. Subs for Sky Sports would be lower, thereby anyone who does not like football could enjoy all the sports that Sky covers at lower cost and those who want to watch Premier League football could subscribe to the "Football channel"..... yeah I know, not likely to happen.
piquet41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 22:56   #2093
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

I would support your idea as I am no longer an avid football fan well not soccer anyway and anything that makes Sky Sports subs cheaper has to be good.
The amount of money these over rated prima donas get paid makes my blood boil.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 23:09   #2094
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I stood on the terraces at WHL long before they had seats, and the first record l heard was Ringo Starr, and the talent then was superb, and they played REAL football, not like the footballers who now fall over for the TV cameras.

Thats why l say footballers of today would not last five minutes today.

With Tv at every ground in the PL, you only have to blow a kiss and oops over they go.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 00:23   #2095
Mikey1981
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP 2 V+HD boxes , XL BB, XL Phone and Mobiles x2
Mikey1981 will become famous soon enoughMikey1981 will become famous soon enoughMikey1981 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Also every single game is available via sky bundesliga live or LIGa Total.
Mikey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 00:43   #2096
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
More a symptom of rip off Britain
german stadiums built with gov subsidising.

standing=more ppl=can afford to give cheaper prices.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 02:04   #2097
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

There are a couple of very basic things to consider when comparing German football to English football. Firstly Germany has a population of 82 million, almost 30 million more than England. Secondly Germany has 3 top leagues containing 56 clubs compared to England's 92 clubs spread over 4 main leagues. In terms of population to club ratio, German football has a massive advantage over English football.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 07:20   #2098
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
There are a couple of very basic things to consider when comparing German football to English football. Firstly Germany has a population of 82 million, almost 30 million more than England. Secondly Germany has 3 top leagues containing 56 clubs compared to England's 92 clubs spread over 4 main leagues. In terms of population to club ratio, German football has a massive advantage over English football.
Not sure that stands the real test.

Yes, there are too many clubs and leagues...but population difference is moot.

Good players will still come through, just not as many. But the FA system is flawed.

And as raised in other posts, trying to get as much as possible money has caused some of this.

i don't agree that sky has caused the problem, they are merely adapting to the situation. It is the FA that decides how to sell the rights, not sky.

The big problem at the moment is, how to reverse something that you put in place (re selling rights).

Clubs don't want less money, so changing the methodology will be hard, if not impossible unless sky etc refuse to pay the money
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 07:26   #2099
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

German youth football isn't all that either, what have they won recently? Also a few of Germany's better players of recent years where raided from Poland
(Basil, don't mention the ...)
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 13:00   #2100
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

39 days to go and still no news about BT Sport launching on Virgin Media... surely talks between them don't take this long?
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote