Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29-02-2008, 16:40   #301
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper
BTW None, i get
Download Error

You do not have the correct permissions to download this file.

when trying to download your template letter to read
Thanx for the heads up popper, although I have just checked and it seems to working just fine. Can someone else try to access this page and see if they can download the VM complaints template - http://www.badphorm.co.uk/download.php?list.2

Let me know if the link still doesn't work for you.
Advertisement
Old 29-02-2008, 16:43   #302
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
Thanx for the heads up popper, although I have just checked and it seems to working just fine. Can someone else try to access this page and see if they can download the VM complaints template - http://www.badphorm.co.uk/download.php?list.2

Let me know if the link still doesn't work for you.
Yup.

Download Error

You do not have the correct permissions to download this file
Old 29-02-2008, 16:44   #303
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Opps my bad, seems you need to be logged into the site to enable the download. You can register here - http://www.badphorm.co.uk/signup.php
Old 29-02-2008, 16:46   #304
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

Rizzyking,

The statement from Sky is cleverly crafted with the important element being their concern for customer safety online and privacy.

If they subsequently state that after detailed and careful appraisal that they will not jeopardise their customer's safety and privacy by using any of these companies it will carry a lot of weight backed by knowledge and will carry much more weight than others may exploit customers we will not. The use of the words "online safety and privacy" speaks volumes.
Old 29-02-2008, 17:09   #305
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

More from the Register:
How Phorm plans to tap your internet connection
The Phorm Files
Old 29-02-2008, 17:15   #306
none
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Yup.

Download Error

You do not have the correct permissions to download this file
Ive uploaded the file VM Phorm DPA Complaint.pdf (7.07 KB) to Mediafile - http://www.mediafire.com/?b00jbvjabdd
Old 29-02-2008, 17:30   #307
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
So herein lies some extra info - No matter if BB users of said ISPs are opted out of the system, Phorm still knows what people are looking at:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Reg
A presentation doing the rounds at BT suggests two possible scenarios. The first alternative is that "ACE" in these diagrams checks whether a user has opted out of their browsing history being used to target advertising, and the process ends there and a normal HTTP request is sent to the website the user is visiting. The second possibility is that the opt-out check is performed once the request has been diverted all the way to the Anonymiser. That would mean Phorm still knows what you're looking at.
Reading further in those articles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Reg
We tapped Aaron Crane, The Register's Technical Overlord for help bending our puny scribe's brain around these diagrams. He said: "Looking at this makes me damn glad my own internet connection is funded by what I pay for it, so the ISP doesn't have to engage in this sort of shady practice merely to cover costs.

"If I were using one of the ISPs concerned, I'd switch."
Old 29-02-2008, 17:30   #308
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

That letter seems to ahve someones full name and address in it - should it?
Old 29-02-2008, 18:16   #309
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

also its a doc file (not everyone uses MS OS or word) and not a plain text file or PDF for easy printing.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

as a side note (or perhaps not) Mick it also says in part this:
"
For users who don't opt out, the way the system works is much more clear (see "Active mode" slide). Hit a link in your browser and the HTTP request will be intercepted by the ACE and rerouted to Phorm's Anonymiser. Having hijacked the request, the Anonymiser can then set a tracking cookie, which it keeps hold of.

Without a response, the browser resubmits its request for the web page you want to visit. It is again rerouted to Phorm, but only as far as the F5 hardware, which bounces it on to the website you originally wanted, but also sends a copy of the request to Phorm's profiler kit"

why do i bring this up ,well remember the VM STM upload allowance, it appears that the Phorm kit will force you to send at least two page requests per page weather you are opted-in or opted-out.

not a problem ,EXCEPT the VM STM counts every single bit of data sent and that includes all the internal VM network data you send too.

its true, i personly tested the STM a while back when it first began, by uploading/downloaded to/from nothing but my VM internal personal website and the internal VM linux FTP server etc, and the STM kicked in as expected when my data allowance went over, even though not one single bit went outside the VM internal network.

so in relation to VM at least, every extra data stream you are forced to re-send due to the Phorm internal VM kit is taking your already limited upload limit away faster...
Old 29-02-2008, 18:28   #310
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Still - I don't care how much Phorm or any of the ISPs say this protects privacy. If smaller ISP's such as Aquiss and Zen can work out that this is just a revenue earning stream. The three main ISPs attached to this, have so many BB customers that greed has overidden complete regard for every ounce of customer trust and there should be a bigger respect for the very basic human right, a right to absolute privacy.
Old 29-02-2008, 18:31   #311
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

OC 'In Good Faith' doesnt seem to count for anything outside the courts eather, or at least inside the Big VM/BT type corps.
Old 29-02-2008, 18:51   #312
none
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
That letter seems to ahve someones full name and address in it - should it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by popper
also its a doc file (not everyone uses MS OS or word) and not a plain text file or PDF for easy printing.

Done & done - VM Phorm DPA Complaint.pdf (7.07 KB) - http://www.mediafire.com/?b00jbvjabdd

hope that helps
Old 29-02-2008, 20:55   #313
aMIGA_dUDE
Inactive

aMIGA_dUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

Do they know about Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
and Unlawful interception. It not just Data Protection Act issue

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/acts/a...1-ch1-pb1-l1g1
Old 29-02-2008, 20:56   #314
none
Inactive

About time this got some mainstream media attention, Guardian - http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...ring_deal.html even this thread is mentioned!
Old 29-02-2008, 21:10   #315
aMIGA_dUDE
Inactive

aMIGA_dUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

Opt out cookie will not work with me. As my security settings in all browsers is set to delete cookies when browser is closed.
Closed Thread