Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 24-01-2021, 21:46   #3571
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The SNP wanted independence before Brexit existed.
They did, but support in the polls has gone up. Similarly support for a border poll in NI.

England voted for the UK to take a huge leap against the will of Scotland and NI. And while yes, those are the rules of the game, not being seen to act in the interests of everyone naturally pushes self-determination
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2021, 21:48   #3572
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don't see any hypocrisy here.

Again you are trotting out the same old, tired unionist lines. No currency, Spain would veto, all of these were part of Project Fear 2014 yet still independence climbs in polls.

Despite "all these benefits" you haven't yet named one in this thread. Not a single benefit of being in the UK.

It's not "my precious SNP" - I'm simply offering observations on Scottish politics. I've said before the serial incompetence of the unionist parties results in weak opposition and is bad for political discourse. I know on CF not many view opposing views as healthy but there was a time that was quite normal in politics.

As Labour lurch to a new leader - so many since the SNP took power I'd struggle to name them all. The Conservatives also have a new leader in Scotland I can't see either making inroads in May despite any scandal that could engulf the SNP.
It's not my job to justify why I think Scotland should stay aligned with England, far too many to list - you want to part ways, tell me what benefits you get with leaving, because I see none, none whatsoever, so fess up or simply just shut up.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 21:53   #3573
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Before you get too relaxed with all this nonsense ...

The wise heads in the SNP haven’t actually changed their minds about any of this. They were in no doubt they needed a Section 30 Order for 2014 and they still think that. What has changed is that a number of positions in the party’s NEC now occupied by hardliners. Sturgeon wants to keep her job so pragmatism has forced her to order the pompous Mike Russell to write up the “strategy” we are now debating. Except it isn’t a strategy, it’s a plan B that only exists because Sturgeon can no longer afford to look like the nationalist leader who doesn’t want a referendum.

What’s worse is that thanks to Nippy being rather more to Scottish tastes than Boris when it comes to media management in a crisis, the SNP looks like it might actually have a working majority again this year, if not by itself then with the continuing assistance of those useful idiots who like to call themselves the Scottish Green Party; furthermore, Boris has gone further than any UK politician to date in spelling out that he means to stick by “once in a generation”, and has defined “generation” in truly Biblical terms (40 years).

So really, those in the SNP who think winning a referendum is more important than simply holding one are beginning to lose the argument that it is better to wait until the polling is consistently high enough, consistently long enough, for victory to be more or less certain. The party ultras, who properly drank the kool-aid in 2014 and genuinely think Scotland is on the brink of being thoroughly wrecked by Toreeez, having its NHS sold off, Trident missiles farting plutonium all over the central belt and whatever, are starting to get the upper hand.

It’s also worth pointing out that the SNP, in proposing the UK government can do only one of three things in the face of its proposed Referendum Bill, has actually failed to list the fourth option: the one thing the UK government is most likely to do, and which the SNP desperately hopes it won’t do, which is to accept the Scottish Parliament is perfectly entitled to poll the Scottish electorate for its opinion on any issue it likes, but that this doesn’t afford the outcome the same status as the 2014 referendum which was enabled by Act of Parliament and underpinned by a document signed by the PM, FM and their deputies.

HMG may deny a section 30 order, choose not to challenge any subsequent referendum act in the courts, decline to engage with the ensuing campaign (except perhaps for taking the opportunity to point out to the electorate that this is a glorified exercise in opinion polling which they are not obliged to participate in) and then refuse to discuss the outcome with Scottish Ministers.

What then?
I suspect the UK Government will grant a further referendum if the SNP win the election clearly, or at least define clear terms under which a referendum could take place.

However, if there's an unofficial poll it will simply drag on further constitutional turmoil. The Scottish electorate will continue to return SNP governments in Scotland and the overwhelming number of MPs to Westminster (50+). The situation will not be sustainable long term - even worse if the UK were to return a hung Parliament.
Old 24-01-2021, 21:54   #3574
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Agreed, once in a generation wasn't it....
The SNP are citing Brexit to argue extenuating circumstances on this. I think they'd be better off arguing that the last 10 months seems like a lifetime.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 21:55   #3575
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
It's not my job to justify why I think Scotland should stay aligned with England, far too many to list - you want to part ways, tell me what benefits you get with leaving, because I see none, none whatsoever, so fess up or simply just shut up.
Comedy gold Mick. Taking back control, sovereignty, take your pick.

Is this joining US politics as a subject you have "no interest" in yet post strong opinions on a regular basis?

It's not for me to sell it to the English members of Cable Forum, it's for the SNP to sell it to Scotland. A job they seem particularly good at of date despite so called "scandal".

Last edited by jfman; 24-01-2021 at 21:58.
Old 24-01-2021, 21:59   #3576
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Comedy gold Mick. Taking back control, sovereignty, take your pick.

Is this joining US politics as a subject you have "no interest" in yet post strong opinions on a regular basis?

It's not for me to sell it to the English members of Cable Forum, it's for the SNP to sell it to Scotland. A job they seem particularly good at of date despite so called "scandal".
Scanned through the above - still no benefit of leaving offered.
Old 24-01-2021, 22:00   #3577
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Scanned through the above - still no benefit of leaving offered.
In your opinion. However as I've pointed out many times the English lecturing the Scottish on what is good for them plays into SNP hands.

I've even generously offered to pay for Old Boy to come and campaign in May.
Old 24-01-2021, 22:01   #3578
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I suspect the UK Government will grant a further referendum if the SNP win the election clearly, or at least define clear terms under which a referendum could take place.

However, if there's an unofficial poll it will simply drag on further constitutional turmoil. The Scottish electorate will continue to return SNP governments in Scotland and the overwhelming number of MPs to Westminster (50+). The situation will not be sustainable long term - even worse if the UK were to return a hung Parliament.
I desperately hope they just ignore them, let them have their own non-binding referendum if they want , every year. I would pass a Bill that decreed a proper referendum to be undertaken any year from 2056, in law, and let them stew in their own piss until then.
Old 24-01-2021, 22:02   #3579
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I desperately hope they just ignore them, let them have their own non-binding referendum if they want , every year. I would pass a Bill that decreed a proper referendum to be undertaken any year from 2056, in law, and let them stew in their own piss until then.
As we all discovered no Parliament can bind a future Parliament so any such decree wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on.

It's good to know the English would rather see Scottish political discourse stuck for 40 years rather than focusing on schools, the economy, health and moving forward inside or outside the UK.
Old 24-01-2021, 22:07   #3580
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
In your opinion. However as I've pointed out many times the English lecturing the Scottish on what is good for them plays into SNP hands.

I've even generously offered to pay for Old Boy to come and campaign in May.
And if you think you got a gotcha on me, because I voted to leave the EU, think again - you do know what the difference is, because last time I looked, EU wasn't a country, to pull oneself away from. Do try harder dear.
Old 24-01-2021, 22:10   #3581
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
And if you think you got a gotcha on me, because I voted to leave the EU, think again - you do know what the difference is, because last time I looked, EU wasn't a country, to pull oneself away from. Do try harder dear.
If you can't see the rank hypocrisy then there's little point in debating you on it.

Decicion making can be taken at a range of levels. Local, national or supranational. The concepts of control remain the same.
Old 24-01-2021, 22:17   #3582
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
If you can't see the rank hypocrisy then there's little point in debating you on it.

Decicion making can be taken at a range of levels. Local, national or supranational. The concepts of control remain the same.
And what exactly do you want to take control of, that you don't control now or indeed make decisions on?

Because my goodness, I can only think of....wait for it.... ching ching..

The Weather?

Old 24-01-2021, 22:20   #3583
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
And what exactly do you want to take control of, that you don't control now or indeed make decisions on?

Because my goodness, I can only think of....wait for it.... ching ching..

The Weather?

Any of the areas specifically reserved by the Scotland Act 1998.
Old 24-01-2021, 22:21   #3584
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It's good to know the English would rather see Scottish political discourse stuck for 40 years rather than focusing on schools, the economy, health and moving forward inside or outside the UK.
I think you’ll find it is the SNP that has sacrificed, education, NHS, Drug use, COVID and just about everything else on the alter of independence, not the English.

They had their shot. They can try again in 2056.
Old 24-01-2021, 22:24   #3585
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I think you’ll find it is the SNP that has sacrificed, education, NHS, Drug use, COVID and just about everything else on the alter of independence, not the English.

They had their shot. They can try again in 2056.
The SNP progress their manifesto and stand for election just like any other party. It would be the UK Government blocking such progress for an entirely arbitrary reason, in your provocative proposal until an entirely arbitrary date, not the SNP.