Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stargate SG-1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Stargate SG-1

Old 01-10-2003, 23:07   #31
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: stargate sg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic22
well then people what did everyone think to the opening episode of series 7?
The Daniel-Jackson's-lost-his-memory storyline was shaping up nicely ... lots of moody character development etc etc, and then they just threw it all aside to go blow the special effects budget on a homage to the Death Star Battle. It was all very nicely done, but I wish they'd concentrated on the interesting character stuff for a bit longer.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2003, 23:21   #32
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by towny
The Daniel-Jackson's-lost-his-memory storyline was shaping up nicely ... lots of moody character development etc etc, and then they just threw it all aside to go blow the special effects budget on a homage to the Death Star Battle. It was all very nicely done, but I wish they'd concentrated on the interesting character stuff for a bit longer.
agree "homage" was a better description than rip-off, towny, the thought had crossed my mind

- allegedly "character development" is what this series is all about - I said I can't wait - have you heard anything about the Atlantis spin-off?
Old 01-10-2003, 23:28   #33
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
have you heard anything about the Atlantis spin-off?
Stargate Atlantis
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 23:44   #34
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal

Old 02-10-2003, 12:15   #35
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Heven help us, they're going to do Seaquest ...
Old 02-10-2003, 12:19   #36
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Heven help us, they're going to do Seaquest ...
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 13:49   #37
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Well I won't bother with that.Once the original finishes I think that should be that.Else we will end up with terrible plot repeats as we got with all versions of Star Trek.

Incog.
Old 02-10-2003, 15:26   #38
dr wadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
That's been in the works for several months now

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/index.shtml

But at least that is in keeping with the current series. I've yet to see it myself, but from what I`ve read Stargate Infinity is the one to avoid.
Old 02-10-2003, 16:15   #39
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
agree "homage" was a better description than rip-off, towny, the thought had crossed my mind
The sequence where the Goauld (sp?) weapon's power core blows up is almost identical to the Death Star's power core explosion from Return of the Jedi ... I only wish I could post stills of the two side by side! My Film Studies graduate missus has a word for this - 'intertextuality'. It's where the director consciously pays a complement to a previous film by making reference to it in his own (another example - I was watching Dr Dolittle on ITV1 last night. Eddie Murphy walks past a dog in the pound, which mutters 'I am Keyser Sose' at him...)
Old 02-10-2003, 16:24   #40
dr wadd

I also don`t ever recall seeing an energy weapon in SG1 having recall before, but the cannon on Anubis' mothership in the shot where the 302 was tracked flying past looked suspiciously like a Death Star turbo-laser.

I`m also not sure whether there was an Star Trek reference in there as well with Daniel constantly calling O`Neill "Jim". I was wondering whether this is a reference to Star Trek 4 when Spock is back from the dead and Kirk is trying to persuade Spock to call him Jim.
Old 02-10-2003, 16:25   #41
dr wadd

Quote:
The sequence where the Goauld (sp?) weapon's power core blows up is almost identical to the Death Star's power core explosion from Return of the Jedi
I found all the Star Wars references rather amusing, and was giggling out loud when that particular one came up.
Old 02-10-2003, 16:27   #42
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wadd
I also don`t ever recall seeing an energy weapon in SG1 having recall before, but the cannon on Anubis' mothership in the shot where the 302 was tracked flying past looked suspiciously like a Death Star turbo-laser.

I`m also not sure whether there was an Star Trek reference in there as well with Daniel constantly calling O`Neill "Jim". I was wondering whether this is a reference to Star Trek 4 when Spock is back from the dead and Kirk is trying to persuade Spock to call him Jim.
Don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised ... personally my favourite line from the whole episode was probably this masterful piece of self-reference:

Quote:
Alien bloke: Is he [Tealc] a Jafar?
O'Neill: No, but he plays one in a TV show.
Old 02-10-2003, 17:06   #43
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Its also surprising that no-one told Jim to "use the force" when he was blowing up the death star..lol

It was all a bit farsical.. Still, thats what SG1/Star Trek/Star Wars/etc is all about..
Good fun though.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 18:20   #44
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

I love all the Wizard of OZ refferences in SG-1, always make me chuckle
I never actually noticed the Starwars Refferences though now you mention it there seem to be a lot of similarities.

There is also a refference to aliens I believe when Daniel cant remember his way to the cargoship.

I was going to take those screenshots for you to compare but for some reason windows refuses to take them, it used to work
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 21:25   #45
Atomic22
Inactive

Services: Very High Monthly Bills!
Atomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to Atomic22 Send a message via AIM to Atomic22 Send a message via MSN to Atomic22 Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic22

yeh stargate has been quoting wizard of oz since series one....the plots for series 8 look good though
Atomic22 is offline   Reply With Quote