Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 21-10-2021, 11:44   #376
CBers
cf.member

CBers is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Thought I'd post since I have just upgraded from the 500Mb service to the the 1Gb service (Maidstone area).

Not impressed by the download speeds at all.

The max I have see in any Speedtests online (Ookla/DLSReports/VM) is 644mbps, and nearly always around the 300mbps.

This is slower than what I had before on the 500mbps service.

I run my Hub4 in modem mode, connected to pfSense running as a VM on my Ryzen 3600x server (Windows 10).

Will be contacting VM this weekend, as it will have been 3 weeks since installation/activation.

Thanks.
CBers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2021, 19:31   #377
Night-Owl
cf.member

Night-Owl is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that CBers,

TBH I have never received less speed than the tier I was on. This time receiving 940mb because the router has not got a multigig port but that's purely because of that. I certainly would not be happy if I was receiving less as Virgin Broadband is not cheap, basically I am only paying as no one else can provide the speeds I am getting, if they could, I would switch instantly.

Definitely get onto Virgin, have you tried putting Virgin Router back to Router Mode and running cable direct from it, just to make sure the equipment in between is not causing the issue ?.

Best wishes
Night-Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 09:07   #378
wesser
cf.member

wesser is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
The setup I have here assumes you have a router with a 10gigabit WAN, and a 10gbit mikrotik switch running RouterOS, I was kind of assuming people having such hardware would probably be able to follow!

Router is a UDM-Pro.
This has 2x 10gigabit SFP+ ports, 1 WAN and 1 LAN, as well as a gigabit WAN and 8 gigabit LAN. It also takes a hard drive for CCTV recording. It doesn't have wireless - I use dedicated APs for that. It is capable of routing 3.5GBit/sec with all the bells and whistles turned on, IPS/IDS etc, and about 8gbit with DPI but without IPS.

Switch is a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN This is the cheapest switch they do with 10GbE that runs RouterOS rather than SwitchOS.

In essence what we are doing is taking the 10G WAN from the UDM Pro, splitting it into 2-3 1G links, and connecting that to the SH.

My setup I was splitting it into 2 1G links, as I only had 2 rj45 SFPs around. It looks like this:

The left port goes to the LAN side of the UDM, this is so that I can control, setup, and manage the switch while it is in use.

The next port is unused, if I had another SFP module, which is an "adaptor" like this: then it would go in here.

The next two ports have SFP modules in, these connect to the Superhub.

The final port has a 10GbE DAC cable in, this connects to the UDM Pro.

In the settings menu of the switch, I removed the ports I wanted to use for the "VM Bridge" from the default bridge.

I then created a new bonding group from the two ports with the rj45 SFPs in, making sure to disable ARP, in this image it was with ports 1+2 rather than 2+3 as in the image above:

I then created a new bridge, also disabling ARP:

I then added the interfaces I wanted to use on this bridge to it, namely the bonding group and 1 other SFP+ port, note that in this image I was using SFP+3 not 4 as in the photo of the switch above:

Crappy MSPaint drawing:

Stuff you would need to buy to completely replicate this:
Router, UDM-Pro https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-...-udm-pro/16313
Switch https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-...1g-4s+in/15664
SFPs https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-...r-module/14160
DAC cable https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-...dac-sfp+/16375
Example of wireless access points, I have a number of them in the house: https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-...njector)/14525

It is probably possible to do this with other hardware that I do not have to test and have never used but is cheaper, but obviously your mileage may vary.
Can you confirm whether or not this VM port bonding is still working or not?
I have followed your guide but cannot get this to work.

I have the Mikrotik CRS 305 coonected to the SH4 which sems to connect fine, I can't however get an internet connect out to my Edgerouter 6. I know the ER6 does noy have 10G ports but this is my first step before I lay out more cash for a 10G replacement. I want to keep a Ubiquiti edgerouter as all of my existing network is Ubiquit Edge.
Could I possibly have a copy of your config?

Wes
wesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 09:27   #379
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesser View Post

I have the Mikrotik CRS 305 coonected to the SH4 which sems to connect fine, I can't however get an internet connect out to my Edgerouter 6. I know the ER6 does noy have 10G ports but this is my first step before I lay out more cash for a 10G replacement. I want to keep a Ubiquiti edgerouter as all of my existing network is Ubiquit Edge.

Wes
It does still work, I know people using similar setups right now on hub4s.

However, after drama I'm not on VM anymore (left them in Jan this year) so don't have a config for you I'm afraid.

I will probably go back when Gig1 reaches me but now I'm thinking I'll just wait for hub5 and not have to bother with balancing.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 09:47   #380
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night-Owl View Post
Sorry to hear that CBers,

TBH I have never received less speed than the tier I was on. This time receiving 940mb because the router has not got a multigig port but that's purely because of that. I certainly would not be happy if I was receiving less as Virgin Broadband is not cheap, basically I am only paying as no one else can provide the speeds I am getting, if they could, I would switch instantly.

Definitely get onto Virgin, have you tried putting Virgin Router back to Router Mode and running cable direct from it, just to make sure the equipment in between is not causing the issue ?.

Best wishes
Night Owl has it right. In modem mode, if a switch is the first device after the VM hub, then only once Internet path is available as there is no routing.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 10:06   #381
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:

Wes

Try setting:

- The bridge protocol from RSTP to none
- The link monitoring on bond to none
Old 22-10-2021, 12:19   #382
wesser
cf.member

wesser is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Try setting:

- The bridge protocol from RSTP to none
- The link monitoring on bond to none
Thank You mate, you have hit the nail on the head.
I think I had already tried what you said but the thing I didn't do was reboot he modem between every setting change.

Wes
wesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 14:37   #383
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Thank You mate, you have hit the nail on the head.
I think I had already tried what you said but the thing I didn't do was reboot he modem between every setting change.

Wes
yeah the modem only wants to give out an IP address to one thing, so will get upset if it ever sees a 2nd thing without being rebooted.
Old 22-10-2021, 18:34   #384
Night-Owl
cf.member

Hello All,

I am trying to find the most cost affective way of getting the full 1gb+ speed i.e 1175 Mbps to a computer with a 2gb port. So far I have multiple Poe switches etc but all only 1gb. I only need the 1175 speed to my computer as it's the only thing that can cope with it but if I have a few spare ports on a switch that are 2gb plus for future, all the better. I have a Orbi WiFi and the Hub 4. But obviously neither the Orbi or the Hub4 can give out over 1gb on one port. I was thinking of buying a Netgear Switch being the ms510tx-100eus that has multiple 2gb Ports, a few 1gb ports and a 10gb port with Aggregation. But I don't think adding this alone after the Hub4 in Router Mode or Modem mode would work because I am thinking the Router needs to be able to receive the full speed, aggregatate it and push it out to a switch or am I wrong ?. I e in theory could I put the Hub 4 in Router Mode, send 2 Ethernet cables from it to the Switch (ms510tx-100eus) and then from the switch, aggregate the 2 ports and send the full 1175mps to the computer on a 2gb Port with other ports on the switch going to my other Poe switches which I don't need over 1gb for ?, Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited by Night-Owl; 22-10-2021 at 18:37.
Old 22-10-2021, 21:23   #385
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night-Owl View Post
Hello All,

I am trying to find the most cost affective way of getting the full 1gb+ speed i.e 1175 Mbps to a computer with a 2gb port. So far I have multiple Poe switches etc but all only 1gb. I only need the 1175 speed to my computer as it's the only thing that can cope with it but if I have a few spare ports on a switch that are 2gb plus for future, all the better. I have a Orbi WiFi and the Hub 4. But obviously neither the Orbi or the Hub4 can give out over 1gb on one port. I was thinking of buying a Netgear Switch being the ms510tx-100eus that has multiple 2gb Ports, a few 1gb ports and a 10gb port with Aggregation. But I don't think adding this alone after the Hub4 in Router Mode or Modem mode would work because I am thinking the Router needs to be able to receive the full speed, aggregatate it and push it out to a switch or am I wrong ?. I e in theory could I put the Hub 4 in Router Mode, send 2 Ethernet cables from it to the Switch (ms510tx-100eus) and then from the switch, aggregate the 2 ports and send the full 1175mps to the computer on a 2gb Port with other ports on the switch going to my other Poe switches which I don't need over 1gb for ?, Thanks for any help you can give.

In order to connect >1GBe you need a router with either multiple 1GBe WAN ports that can operate in balance-rr (not any other mode), or a router with >1GBe WAN and a switch which can do the balance-rr for you, as well as link to the router with >1GBe.

It sounds like your router does neither. I don't know if your netgear switch has the necessary options needed to support this, even if paired with a router with >1GBe WAN.

If you want to do this, I'd strongly suggest using equipment that others have verified as working, unless you really know what you are doing and can figure it out yourself and have kit sat around you'd like to try it with.

However, given that the Hub5 now exists, and will apparently be launching in greater quantities next year, I'd strongly suggest it's worth waiting for that, and just getting a multi-gigabit router if you want to go over 1G. This might mean the UDMP, or one of various Mikrotik devices, or I think some of the "consumer" brands produce routers with 2.5GBe WAN, but I don't pay much attention to Asus/Netgear/Etc so don't really know.

Edit:

The cheapest way to do this is with the Mikrotik RB4011 as a router: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HBW2NTR

This can link multiple 1GbE ports in a bond to the SH4, and has an SFP+ port for 10GbE (or 2.5GbE) to the PC. This would be a router and take over routing functions from your Orbi. It has no Wifi. It won't support working with the Hub5 via a single 2.5GbE port as it only has 1 multigig port, not one for WAN and 1 for LAN. The Hub5 might support balance-rr still, we don't know yet.

The next level up would be the RB5009. This is out of stock everywhere. But it would do as above, with the addition of working well with the hub5.

The "I don't like microtik" option would be the QNAP QHORA-301W, and a mikrotik switch. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08M4C5B1P and Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN as I used above.

Asus and ZyXEL also have a router that would work with that mikrotik switch.

You can't do this with your Orbi devices, at best you can use them for wifi and not as routers. I don't know how well this works I've never used them.

Last edited by rtho782; 22-10-2021 at 21:48.
Old 22-10-2021, 21:59   #386
Night-Owl
cf.member

Thank you rtho782 very much, excellent advise. Even pointing out the Superhub 5 that might be available next year to me. As you say even with that though I would still require a multigig router / switch so buying one now would not be a waste of money.

Appreciated.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:28   #387
rtho782
cf.addict

Ipswich went live this morning!

I've placed an order for m500 at £36/m with £75 bill credit, and a 15GB O2 sim at £8/m. Hopefully this Volt stuff will be easy to activate.

It will amuse me if they send me a SH3 and then have to send out a SH4/5 shortly after.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:36   #388
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

How did you place the order?

If you've done the Fibre and O2 SIM order at the same time then I would have though it would already be a Volt bundle
Old 09-11-2021, 10:37   #389
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
How did you place the order?

If you've done the Fibre and O2 SIM order at the same time then I would have though it would already be a Volt bundle meaning the included broadband tier is the uplifted one.

So I'm not convinced you'd get a further uplift to Gig1 - you should have been able to do that immediately as part of your order your area is now enabled.
Separately, not directly through VM or O2, both as independent orders, as new customers to each.

I went through Comparethemarket for the VM deal, and then, separately as I was waiting for PAC code to arrive, Uswitch for O2.

VM site lists only horrible Volt bundles I didn't want.

The absolute worst case scenario is that I end up on O2 paying the same as I was paying Three, and having to manually upgrade from M500 to Gig1 and pay the full £62/m or whatever, but I'd try to strongly argue that first.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:40   #390
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Fair enough - and I deleted some of my previous post as I was overcomplicating it.

Will be interesting to see what happens once you apply for the Volt benefits then.