Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Registry cleaners

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Registry cleaners

Old 22-05-2013, 18:24   #1
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era
Registry cleaners

My once fast Samsung RV520 is getting a bit slow. I have over 500G of free disk space and 8G of RAM.

Can anyone recommend a registry cleaner that can remove 2 years of rubbish, mostly uninstalled.

I have read good reviews of RegZooka and am prepared to pay for it if it works and won't trash my laptop.

Any recommendations appreciated.

TIA
WP
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2013, 18:26   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Registry cleaners

CCleaner works fine for me : http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and it doesn't cost you for the registry bit
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 18:31   #3
tizmeinnit

you do not need one
Old 22-05-2013, 18:50   #4
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
you do not need one
Alternate suggestions appreciated then. But why don't I need one?
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 18:59   #5
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I would recommend running a defrag too, download Defraggler from the same people who make CCleaner too.
Old 22-05-2013, 19:06   #6
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
Alternate suggestions appreciated then. But why don't I need one?
The registry is just a database text entries read almost instantly plus when called they know where they are anyway.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Quote:
"Do I need to run a registry cleaner on a regular basis?"

No.

In case you missed that, the answer again is: No.

Contrary to the online advertising pitches, the bad information from your neighbor, and perhaps your own belief prior to this moment, registry cleaning is NOT a computer maintenance task. I can not be more clear on this topic.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/regist...leaner-faq.htm

Quote:
Do I need a Windows Registry cleaner?

Answer

Registry cleaners are designed to help remove invalid references made in the Windows Registry pointing to a DLL, program, font, uninstalled program, or other system information that no longer exists on the computer. These references can be left behind when a program is not uninstalled properly, the uninstaller is poorly written, or the system has crashed in the past causing these invalid entries.

Although these utilities can make the Windows Registry clean, the overall potential benefits are greatly outweighed by the potential harm a they could cause. We suggest users do not install or use Windows Registry cleaners on their Windows computers.
]
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001077.htm
Old 22-05-2013, 19:15   #7
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

i use registry mechanic and works a treat.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 20:09   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

CCleaner and Auslogics registry cleaner. Auslogics registry defragger is not free AFAIK now, but you might find an older free version on the net. The Registry can become a bit full of invalid references, and that can slow access a bit, but we're probably talking microseconds and not whole seconds.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 20:15   #9
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Personally I agree with Tizme, although CCcleaner can help some, I never fully trust any of these apps.

Cleaning out your temp folders, browser cache (and various databases), deleting and re-making swap file and possibly defragging usually are enough to speed things up for a start. Usually suggest more RAM but you have plenty.

For temp folders, type this into the run bar: %temp%

Order the files/folders by date and select everything except files with todays date, as they could be locked and cause the deleting to fail.

Browser cache is dependent of your browser but its worth deleting everything if you can (in chrome make sure you choose the Forever option) although don't delete cookies if you can't remember your website logins.

Deleting and recreating the swap file can be done by turning it off, rebooting and turning it back on again. Personally I like to set it to a small size before disabling it and then making it back to near its original value after the reboot. Right click My computer>Properties>Advanced System Settings>Advanced Tab (performance)>Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 06:08   #10
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit
you do not need one
No your right,YOU DONT..

But it makes it EASIER FOR YOUR COMPUTER if un-needed stuff is cleaned out.... Let me address this a different way for you..

You clean out the cabinets in your kitchen right? -- WHY?????

Exactly,to make it CLEANER and EASIER for you to obtain stuff from them!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 07:51   #11
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No your right,YOU DONT..

But it makes it EASIER FOR YOUR COMPUTER if un-needed stuff is cleaned out.... Let me address this a different way for you..

You clean out the cabinets in your kitchen right? -- WHY?????

Exactly,to make it CLEANER and EASIER for you to obtain stuff from them!
dude with all due respect your kitchen is not a text database. I have offered evidence from experts backing up my side also in the past I have provided evidence from a M$ code writer himself backing up my point of view. You then come and post a stupid irrelevant analogy that is totally meaningless,also has cleaning your kitchen ever stopped your kitchen from working?,.

---------- Post added at 07:51 ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 ----------

Quote:
Hi Mark, do you really think that Registry junk left by uninstalled programs could severely slow down the computer? I would like to ‘hear’ your opinion.
Quote:
No, even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches (ed. of the registry itself).
On Win2K Terminal Server systems, however, there is a limit on the total amount of Registry data that can be loaded and so large profile hives can limit the number of users that can be logged on simultaneously.
I haven’t and never will implement a Registry cleaner since it’s of little practical use on anything other than Win2K terminal servers and developing one that’s both safe and effective requires a huge amount of application-specific knowledge.
The above is a quote from Mark Russinovich . If you do not know who he is and why we should listen to him Google his name. In short no one has needed a reg editor since win2k...
Old 25-05-2013, 23:42   #12
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I know who he is mate but that doesnt mean he is right!!

I have seen improvements EVERYTIME i clear a bunch of stuff thats not needed from my reg!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 08:52   #13
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I suspect your millage will vary depending on how much you stuff you put on your PC & what OS you use. I agree that with anything post XP that it's not so important per se... as it used to be, to defragment, reg clean up etc. But I wouldn't go so far to entirely discount the use of them either. I still use various utilities that do (for me) show a measurable benefit, but like I said, your mileage will vary by user.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 09:50   #14
tizmeinnit

Even faced with documented evidence from someone very highly respected in the field people will still choose to fail to see the wood for the trees. As of course is your prerogative. One day the reg cleaner will screw your machine and I will laugh out loud

(Mark E. Russinovich is a Technical Fellow in the Platform and Services Division at Microsoft. He was a cofounder of software producers Winternals before it was acquired by Microsoft in 2006)
Old 26-05-2013, 10:05   #15
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I have seen improvements EVERYTIME i clear a bunch of stuff thats not needed from my reg!!
I would expect that 98% of the times a registry cleaning app is run and gives improvements, it is down to the non-registry tasks the app also does, like cleaning temp files and caches.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote