Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changing Default Hard Disk Icon

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Changing Default Hard Disk Icon

Old 28-12-2021, 06:42   #1
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough
Changing Default Hard Disk Icon

I have an External Seagate Hard Disk that i wish to change the default icon to.

I have created the new Icon and placed it on the drive and have then gone onto the drive and changed the autorun.inf file to the new icon name and this didn't work.

i also tried adding a registry entry to change the icon and this didn't work.

Anyone know anything else i can try?
Thanks
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2021, 08:21   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Changing Default Hard Disk Icon

You could always do search(eg Google) for something like, "windows change drive icon" and see what results appear.
This seems to be an important step. Changing the autorun.inf and "ejecting" and reconnecting worked for me just now using a Seagate external HDD.

Link

Quote:
Restart the computer to apply. If this is for a removable drive, then you could just disconnect and reconnect the drive to apply instead.

nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 13:54   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I wanted to do this but after weeks of going round and round in circles, I gave up.

I'm on Windows 8.1.
Old 28-12-2021, 17:17   #4
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
You could always do search(eg Google) for something like, "windows change drive icon" and see what results appear.
This seems to be an important step. Changing the autorun.inf and "ejecting" and reconnecting worked for me just now using a Seagate external HDD.

Link

This is what i tried in the registry after i tried the autorun.inf and still not changed.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 20:49   #5
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-t...e-icons-easily
Old 28-12-2021, 21:13   #6
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie View Post
This is what i tried in the registry after i tried the autorun.inf and still not changed.
Changing the autorun.inf worked for me, using a Seagate external HDD. I didn't need to reboot. I just "ejected" the removable drive(to avoid possibly corrupting the contents), disconnected the power to the HDD and plugged it back in.
I removed all the surplus lines from the autorun.inf, leaving "[autorun]" and "icon=icon.ico".

Which icon are you trying to change? The one that appears in "This PC" or a shortcut on the desktop.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 21:13   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Seems like an awful lot of effort, why do you want to change it ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote