Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Registry cleaners

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Registry cleaners

Old 26-05-2013, 14:31   #16
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Registry cleaners

So are there any "one stop shop" type programmes available for free that does all this 'cleaning' for you?
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2013, 15:06   #17
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
So are there any "one stop shop" type programmes available for free that does all this 'cleaning' for you?
CCleaner does all the clean ups except system restore points these can easily be done using disk clean up. I personally would not use the registry cleaner if you are worried about left over entries use an install/uninstaller application which will ensure all remnants are cleaned away when you uninstall. Bare in mind the registry is just a database but it holds important settings for applications which are loaded when the program runs the program will find its place instantly even if you have moved it( in most cases in some cases moving a program directory will break the program) do not worry the programs will not have to go off looking through the database it knows where the entries are

on the very odd occasion a program that starts up with the pc and you uninstall it but it leaves the run entry you can simply remove in start up.
Old 26-05-2013, 15:15   #18
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I used Soft Organiser as an uninstaller which seems to work pretty well. Will CCleaner sort out temporary internet files etc?
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 15:17   #19
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I used Soft Organiser as an uninstaller which seems to work pretty well. Will CCleaner sort out temporary internet files etc?
yes for all the main browsers. There are extra settings to clean even more stuff up if you so desire. Your uninstaller will make sure when you do uninstall all will be gone so you will never need a reg cleaner ever
Old 26-05-2013, 18:45   #20
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
I use regseeker version 1.45 -- BEST VERSION OF THE SERIES .. However the best scanning/detection in it was in version 2.0.. (After 2.0 they made it 64bit and it no longer runs on Win98se of course BUT I WOULDNT USE THE CURRENT RELEASE ANYWAY!! -- Its ugly and doesnt work as well in my opinion!! (Started going downhill with the next release after 1.45 (1.55) (And it now includes a toolbar (With the ZIP file it says it doesnt but i dunno if i would trust that or not)))

Have a look Russ and if you would like v1.45 let me know,ill get you that version (Much nicer looking)

www.hoverdesk.net (Thier latest website design is quite ugly just like what they did to regseeker)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 00:34   #21
spreadsheet
cf.geek

Services: virgin internet / sky TV
spreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to all

Chromebook - no issues as above - just a browser in the cloud
spreadsheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 10:06   #22
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Eusing free cleaner

I just got a copy of this a few weeks ago and its quite good!

I also have REGSEEKER 1.45 and the first time I ran that,it removed over 850 Keys!

I gave it a home straight away.....

Last week I found a ZIP version of 2.8.1 Build 20120305

Im glad I found a ZIP copy cause I do not like installers!!

First time I used this it found 8 things that regseeker doesnt which is strange (Invalid file/folder mostly) so now I think I have the 2 best reg cleaners ever made!!

This is a totally free one,ya just click SKIP when the box comes on.....

I wonder why they did that if they indeed intended it to be free??

I have a question: What does the BUILD # mean?? (Build 20120305) does it mean this one was released on 5 March 2012?
Old 20-12-2021, 13:11   #23
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

You could switch to Linux and remove the whole nasty registry thing altogether.

But I wonder if reg cleaning's best effect is getting rid of stuff that starts up that doesn't need to. That can slug any O/S.
Old 20-12-2021, 16:22   #24
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Best to get rid of his Windows 98 first, his PC is so old I bet Linux would struggle to run.
Old 21-12-2021, 02:49   #25
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I thankfully have cleaned up my reg like crazy Snoop
Old 21-12-2021, 10:40   #26
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Distro's like Puppy Linux are pretty small on requirements.
Old 21-12-2021, 12:29   #27
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Best to get rid of his Windows 98 first, his PC is so old I bet Linux would struggle to run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Distro's like Puppy Linux are pretty small on requirements.
I think many would be surprised at the 'low specs' required for running a half decent linux machine . . especially if you don't do much gaming.

I run various linux flavours on a couple of old (15 yrs + 12 yrs) laptops, one of which I use for recording, editing, and mixing guitar stuff
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote