Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rising cost of living

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Rising cost of living

Old 22-10-2021, 12:55   #106
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
The parking spaces at aldi aren't big enough to fit the Rolls Royce
True. And the Lobster Thermidor isn't up to much either.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2021, 13:08   #107
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Robbing turds
How exactly?
If you're thinking of wages element of the triple lock, then your argument, along with other peoples, is total nonsense.
The aim was to link to wages levels, the problem has arisen that it was based upon changes rather than actual levels.

To demonstrate the nonsense with a hypothetical example, wages halve for a period of 2 months and then return to the same levels. Why in that instance, should pensions rise? Wage levels are the same, so the intention of the triple lock is there should be no change connected with wages. Why should pensions double simply because of a quirk of basing it on changes, rather than actual levels.

---------- Post added at 13:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Perhaps people would prefer the CPI of 4.1% of Germany?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 13:17   #108
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
State pension figures for next year are outlined HERE
the article states

Quote:
How much state pension will I get if I qualified on or after 6 April 2016?

If you reach state pension age on or after 6 April 2016, the starting point for calculating what you get is the ‘full level’ of the new state pension of £179.60 in 2021-22, or £185.15 in 2022-23. But the name is confusing, because you may get more or less than this. If you have made full National Insurance payments, building up additional state pension, you’re likely to get more. If you ‘contracted out’ and paid reduced National Insurance contributions for several years, you’re likely to get less. You’ll get whichever is higher - the amount you would have got on the last day of the old system, or the amount you would get had the new system been in place over the whole of your working life. Government estimates show that only around half of those retiring over the next year will qualify for the full state pension.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/money/pensio...t-aukgp6n9jkcz - Which?
When I checked my forecast (pension starts on 14/11/1956), it states

But I do have 47 years of full contributions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BF258BB4-DCB1-458A-B297-B07CBFE677C6.jpeg (32.6 KB, 128 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 13:36   #109
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Things I hate about current trading
1)Selling short - this is just evil, betting on company failing and making money on someone's misery. I'd like to see this banned.
2)Futures - setting prices in advance. You should pay based on costs and yield. If it's a bad year but predicted good farmers get a pittance, and I bet sellers then hike prices as it's a bad year. Of course if it's a good year but predicted bad then farmers can make a profit and the sellers hold their high prices, based on expected, anyway and make more profit.
Old 22-10-2021, 17:59   #110
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Things I hate about current trading
1)Selling short - this is just evil, betting on company failing and making money on someone's misery. I'd like to see this banned.
2)Futures - setting prices in advance. You should pay based on costs and yield. If it's a bad year but predicted good farmers get a pittance, and I bet sellers then hike prices as it's a bad year. Of course if it's a good year but predicted bad then farmers can make a profit and the sellers hold their high prices, based on expected, anyway and make more profit.
It’s all part and parcel of capitalism. It’s how it works.

It is also necessary. For example, although selling short seems heartless, who else will actually buy a failing company? Ban the practice and everything is lost.

Last edited by Hugh; 22-10-2021 at 18:59.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 18:12   #111
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
He's right. You can't spend money if the shelves are empty.
The thing is, they're not empty.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 18:29   #112
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The thing is, they're not empty.
If you use cardboard fruit and veg pictures to disguise empty shelves they're not empty ....
https://www.theguardian.com/business...droidApp_Other
Quote:
Supermarkets are using cardboard cutouts of fruit, vegetables and other groceries to fill gaps on shelves because supply problems combined with a shift towards smaller product ranges mean many stores are now too big.

Tesco has begun using pictures of asparagus, carrots, oranges and grapes in its fresh produce aisles, prompting ridicule on social media.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 19:03   #113
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It’s all part and parcel of capitalism. It’s how it works.

It is also necessary. For example, although selling short seems heartless, who else will actually buy a failing company? Ban the practice and everything is lost.
That’s not what shorting is…

https://www.fool.com/investing/how-t...stock-meaning/
Quote:
Shorting a stock means opening a position by borrowing shares that you don't own and then selling them to another investor. Shorting, or selling short, is a bearish stock position -- in other words, you might short a stock if you feel strongly that its share price was going to decline.

Short-selling allows investors to profit from stocks or other securities when they go down in value. In order to sell short, an investor has to borrow the stock or security through their brokerage company from someone who owns it. The investor then sells the stock, retaining the cash proceeds. The short-seller hopes that the price will fall over time, providing an opportunity to buy back the stock at a lower price than the original sale price. Any money left over after buying back the stock is profit to the short-seller.
Shorting is speculation…
Old 24-10-2021, 13:40   #114
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That’s not what shorting is…

https://www.fool.com/investing/how-t...stock-meaning/

Shorting is speculation…
True, and I know that. However, it is a cog in the wheel of capitalism.

I apologise if my use of the word ‘failing’ gave the wrong impression. I was using a bit of a broad brush with that comment.
Old 27-10-2021, 01:18   #115
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
True, and I know that. However, it is a cog in the wheel of capitalism.

I apologise if my use of the word ‘failing’ gave the wrong impression. I was using a bit of a broad brush with that comment.
Far from this benign action that you portray it is done specifically to extract money out of the situation - rather than allowing the market (those genuinely interested in shares) to enter or exit the market and costs those parties money in the process.

If anyone wants to find out capitalism as we know it is a great ponzi scheme I recommend Googling (or your preferred search engine) "the day Volkswagen conquered the world" and reading the associated article. In short - pun intended - by massively distorting the markets Porsche bought Volkswagen and got venture capitalists to fund it when many expected the reverse transaction to happen.

A Sunday is an amazing day to announce that between the stocks you own, have options on and those owned by the state of Saxony account for 94.2% of the shares in a company when it was estimated that as much as 20% of VW shares were shorted.

Panic, panic, panic. A great laugh to read back about everyone who lost money in the process.

Last edited by jfman; 27-10-2021 at 01:28.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 09:45   #116
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I have worked at companies whose shares were falling and the comments on boards like "I've shorted this one, with any luck it's fold completely and I'll make a killing" without regard to the employees who could lose their jobs and "real" investors who could lose real money.
Yes the stock market is a gamble but investing in a good idea to support it and then reap a reward when it does well if fine, you could lose but it is overall a positive, creating wealth.
Shorting is hoping something fails and just withdraws wealth. Of course the only winners whatever are the stockbrokers who take percentages of the trade so win whatever happens.
Old 27-10-2021, 10:11   #117
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I have worked at companies whose shares were falling and the comments on boards like "I've shorted this one, with any luck it's fold completely and I'll make a killing" without regard to the employees who could lose their jobs and "real" investors who could lose real money.
Yes the stock market is a gamble but investing in a good idea to support it and then reap a reward when it does well if fine, you could lose but it is overall a positive, creating wealth.
Shorting is hoping something fails and just withdraws wealth. Of course the only winners whatever are the stockbrokers who take percentages of the trade so win whatever happens.
Perfectly put.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 08:28   #118
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Shorting is all about ensuring that capitalism works as it should. It's not about employees, they are simply amongst those who lose out.

This link may be of interest, but there are plenty of other links out there too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/05/expe...r-markets.html
Old 28-10-2021, 09:58   #119
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Shorting is all about ensuring that capitalism works as it should
So did slavery, but it didn’t make it right.

Unbridled Capitalism is wrong, because, as you put it
Quote:
It's not about employees, they are simply amongst those who lose out.
Old 28-10-2021, 10:11   #120
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

This is an interesting read on Short Selling: https://www.investopedia.com/article...elling-ban.asp