Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2019, 18:11   #586
cheekyangus
cf.geek
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
cheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to all
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
So a false alarm, that's a shame. However, Virgin Media and Sky customers can watch most new 5STAR shows in HD via Catch Up.
I didn't realise it was the same for Sky customers.
cheekyangus is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2019, 18:29   #587
nialli
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Greenwich, SE10
Services: Virgin Media Broadband, TV and Phone; Netflix; NowTV Entertainment; Apple Music
Posts: 684
nialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant futurenialli has a brilliant future
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but there was a story in The Telegraph this week that caught my eye. It says that Liberty Global is considering opening it’s fibre network to other ISPs, including Sky (which has a fraught relationship with its current suppler, BT Openreach).
Story here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...sider-opening/
This line caught my attention
Liberty Global might hope to gain reciprocal benefits in the supply of Sky Sports and other channels for Virgin Media’s cable TV service.
Before you punch the air screaming “Yes! Sky Atlantic and 4K channels!”, there’s a more cautious postscript:
“sources said there are fears that Sky may only be flirting to put pressure on Openreach, which is currently developing its pricing plans for full fibre in talks with Ofcom”
__________________
For news and debate on Virgin Media's high definition and TiVo services visit: http://www.vmhd.blogspot.com
nialli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 21:10   #588
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,137
jfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of society
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Is there anywhere in the world where a cable operator leases bandwidth to a third party to provide broadband on its network?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 21:29   #589
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,593
spiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny star
spiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny star
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Is there anywhere in the world where a cable operator leases bandwidth to a third party to provide broadband on its network?
NTL used to do it.
https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/artic...eal-aol/166066
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 21:31   #590
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,243
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but there was a story in The Telegraph this week that caught my eye. It says that Liberty Global is considering opening it’s fibre network to other ISPs, including Sky (which has a fraught relationship with its current suppler, BT Openreach).
Story here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...sider-opening/
This line caught my attention
Liberty Global might hope to gain reciprocal benefits in the supply of Sky Sports and other channels for Virgin Media’s cable TV service.
Before you punch the air screaming “Yes! Sky Atlantic and 4K channels!”, there’s a more cautious postscript:
“sources said there are fears that Sky may only be flirting to put pressure on Openreach, which is currently developing its pricing plans for full fibre in talks with Ofcom”
Being discussed in the news thread:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...2#post35991042
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 21:37   #591
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,137
jfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of society
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I do remember AOL and NTL having a deal, I just wonder if this became a thing anywhere in the world.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 21:42   #592
paul0363
cf.member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 16
paul0363 is on a distinguished roadpaul0363 is on a distinguished road
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Is there anywhere in the world where a cable operator leases bandwidth to a third party to provide broadband on its network?
Ziggo in the Netherlands is being forced to open up its network. Articles here and here.

Last edited by paul0363; 12-04-2019 at 21:45.
paul0363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 23:40   #593
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,137
jfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of society
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0363 View Post
Ziggo in the Netherlands is being forced to open up its network. Articles here and here.
Ziggo and companies on the KPN network appear to account for 83% of the market share so the intervention appears to be on competition grounds.

I’d be interested to see if anyone willingly has such an arrangement.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 10:17   #594
cheekyangus
cf.geek
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
cheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to all
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Another set of MPEG4 switches incoming.C029 has a New Sans Nom, and I think it's the BBC Red Button Channel about to change.

On closer inspection all of the other channels on C029 have changed overnight.
So there's BBC1 (of some variety I'm not sure), BBC1 NI, BBC1 AD, BBC Alba, ABN TV, Vice, Crime+Inv +1, bbcalbahid (not totally sure what that is, maybe the off-air info screen for Alba), Clubland, Euronews, Sky Sports Main Event.

Also changed over is the whole of C030.
So MPEG4 switches have occurred also for: Live Events Channel, Al Jazeera English, Blaze, Nick Jr Too, Jewellery Maker, Nick Junior, Sky Sports Cricket, Sky Sports Mix, Nick +1, Nicktoons, Nickelodeon, Babes & Brazzers, Sky Events, Comedy Central +1.

I don't see any other obvious changes showing on Digital Bit Rate.

The channels listed above will NOT require adding to your Favourites again if they were previously on that list as there was no moving of multiplex/frequency that triggers Favourites being deselected.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 ----------

----
I've just noticed ETVS10 on C029, and I forgot to put that in the list above. And that's BBC Red Button, so RB has made the MPEG4 switch too. The New Sans Nom labelled channel is simply a duplicate stream (they have screen captures from Sounds Of The 80s, which identified them for me).

Last edited by cheekyangus; 15-04-2019 at 09:33. Reason: Realised channels on Favourites wouldn't be affected, needed to correct.
cheekyangus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 12:21   #595
cheekyangus
cf.geek
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
cheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to all
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

I only just got the chance to confirm the changes on my V6 box rather than based on Digital Bit Rate website information.

All the channels I tried on those two multiplexes/frequencies, of those I listed, are switched to MPEG4. EXCEPT the BBC Red Button 1 channel on 991. It's still showing as MPEG2 on my V6.
cheekyangus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 14:14   #596
epsilon
cf.member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 28
epsilon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
...all of the other channels on C029 have changed overnight....


...Also changed over is the whole of C030....

An interesting post, although using DBR's arbitrary channel numbers isn't too helpful. The channel numbers simply refer to the frequencies used on Virgin's Manchester networks and different frequencies will be used in other areas. It would be more useful if you could use the TSID numbers which are consistent across all of Virgin's regions.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 14:29   #597
cheekyangus
cf.geek
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
cheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to all
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
An interesting post, although using DBR's arbitrary channel numbers isn't too helpful. The channel numbers simply refer to the frequencies used on Virgin's Manchester networks and different frequencies will be used in other areas. It would be more useful if you could use the TSID numbers which are consistent across all of Virgin's regions.
Useful to know, I didn't know, many thanks epsilon.

I mainly include the channel numbers so that any others who want to look at the DBR website themselves know which table of information I was looking at and refering to. And it helps them point out if I got it wrong and misinterpreted something.
cheekyangus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 15:06   #598
epsilon
cf.member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 28
epsilon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Useful to know, I didn't know, many thanks epsilon.

I mainly include the channel numbers so that any others who want to look at the DBR website themselves know which table of information I was looking at and refering to. And it helps them point out if I got it wrong and misinterpreted something.

A fair comment but DBR also has a search by TSID so anyone wishing to look at the data could use that.


DBR listings can get quite messy when Virgin is actively updating the network, so it is easy to misinterpret the data.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 16:48   #599
Media Boy
GOT NEWS? PM us
 
Media Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy HQ
Posts: 12,546
Media Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Another set of MPEG4 switches incoming.C029 has a New Sans Nom, and I think it's the BBC Red Button Channel about to change.

On closer inspection all of the other channels on C029 have changed overnight.
So there's BBC1 (of some variety I'm not sure), BBC1 NI, BBC1 AD, BBC Alba, ABN TV, Vice, Crime+Inv +1, bbcalbahid (not totally sure what that is, maybe the off-air info screen for Alba), Clubland, Euronews, Sky Sports Main Event.

Also changed over is the whole of C030.
So MPEG4 switches have occurred also for: Live Events Channel, Al Jazeera English, Blaze, Nick Jr Too, Jewellery Maker, Nick Junior, Sky Sports Cricket, Sky Sports Mix, Nick +1, Nicktoons, Nickelodeon, Babes & Brazzers, Sky Events, Comedy Central +1.

I don't see any other obvious changes showing on Digital Bit Rate.

The channels listed above will NOT require adding to your Favourites again if they were previously on that list as there was no moving of multiplex/frequency that triggers Favourites being deselected.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 ----------

----
I've just noticed ETVS10 on C029, and I forgot to put that in the list above. And that's BBC Red Button, so RB has made the MPEG4 switch too. The New Sans Nom labelled channel is simply a duplicate stream (they have screen captures from Sounds Of The 80s, which identified them for me).
Live Events Channel has not and WILL not go over to MPEG4 as Live Events Channel only broadcast on Channel 0 on V+ and V+ HD boxes but Virgin Media are axing them.

Other than that Thanks for info.
__________________
Blog - Updated Jul. 23rd.
What may launch - Jun. 30th.
MPEG4 News - Jul 23rd.
Media Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 17:13   #600
cheekyangus
cf.geek
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
cheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to all
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
A fair comment but DBR also has a search by TSID so anyone wishing to look at the data could use that.


DBR listings can get quite messy when Virgin is actively updating the network, so it is easy to misinterpret the data.
I'm still learning how to use the DBR website, thanks for the guidance.

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Live Events Channel has not and WILL not go over to MPEG4 as Live Events Channel only broadcast on Channel 0 on V+ and V+ HD boxes but Virgin Media are axing them.

Other than that Thanks for info.
Very good point. I didn't even notice that it was only on the table once, let alone take on board what it was and how it is used.

That'll teach me to cut'n'paste.
cheekyangus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 24 (7 members and 17 guests)
spj20016, Ultimate.Conj, Dav1d., Legendkiller2k, Saul's Grandad, Ddonald2016, reddog
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:55.


Server: xenon.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.