Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 09-04-2019, 18:05   #571
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

When the Sky multi channel analogue package launched on 5th Feb 1989 - Sky Channel kept it's name.

It didn't become Sky 1 until July 1989 when it became a UK and Ireland only service. Sky 2 was still several years away.

The original channel "SATV" which later became Sky Channel - pre-dates Channel Four.

ScreenSport, Lifestyle, The Children's Channel and MTV Europe were all on air on satellite as cable channels before the Sky multi-channel launch.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2019, 20:27   #572
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Media Boy HQ has just found out the following DID move over to MPEG4 on April 1st or April 2nd:

We say that due it happen sometime between 04:35 to 12:38 on April 1st. They are -

-Animal Planet
-4Seven
-Discovery Channel
-Discovery Channel +1
-Home & Health
-Discovery History
-TLC
-Discovery Science
-Discovery Turbo
-Quest
-Al Jazeera Arabic
-Baby TV
-ITV2 +1
-ITVBe +1
-Quest +1

Q: WHY DID WE NOT HAVE TO RESET OUR FAVOURITES CHANNELS FOR THEM?
A: Channels posted did broadcast on the same stream before April 1st. Virgin Media UK just move them over from MPEG2 to MPEG4 to make room to add Nat Geo WILD, National Geographic, National Geographic +1, HISTORY2, HISTORY, HISTORY +1, Crime+Inv, MUTV, Sky Sports F1 and Sky Witness to the stream.

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ng=en&mux=C062
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 22:46   #573
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
When the Sky multi channel analogue package launched on 5th Feb 1989 - Sky Channel kept it's name.

It didn't become Sky 1 until July 1989.

ScreenSport, Lifestyle, The Children's Channel and MTV Europe were all on air on satellite as cable channels before the Sky multi-channel launch.
I did not know that as I posted early tonight I first seen Sky in late 1989 or early 1990. I did see WWF WrestleMania 6 on Eurosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Sky 2 was still several years away.
The first Sky 2 launch was on September 1st 1996 (7pm to 6am) until that well known day of August 31st 1997.

The slot was given to National Geographic. Fox Kids broadcasts in the Daytime hours.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:21   #574
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Though there appears to be nothing new, not even an MPEG4 switch, I just looked at DigitalBitRate and there have been a lot of multiplex/frequency swaps.

These are showing as a massive number of "Broadcast end channel" highlighted in orangey pink, and "New" labels.

Like I've said already, they've just swapped blocks of channels about, even blocks of HD channels have been moved elsewhere as a whole. And even blocks of SD MPEG2 channels have been moved but not switched to MPEG4.

It hasn't affected any of my Favourites, as changes on the network often can.

Given they are all moves, but they remain in the same blocks (i.e. their neighbour channels remain the same), and there are no (obvious to me) technical changes like MPEG4 switches going on, the only thing I can think of is this is some sort of preparatory housekeeping, balancing the network in order to make more obvious changes in the future.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 10-04-2019 at 09:34.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 15:30   #575
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Though there appears to be nothing new, not even an MPEG4 switch, I just looked at DigitalBitRate and there have been a lot of multiplex/frequency swaps.

These are showing as a massive number of "Broadcast end channel" highlighted in orangey pink, and "New" labels.

Like I've said already, they've just swapped blocks of channels about, even blocks of HD channels have been moved elsewhere as a whole. And even blocks of SD MPEG2 channels have been moved but not switched to MPEG4.

It hasn't affected any of my Favourites, as changes on the network often can.

Given they are all moves, but they remain in the same blocks (i.e. their neighbour channels remain the same), and there are no (obvious to me) technical changes like MPEG4 switches going on, the only thing I can think of is this is some sort of preparatory housekeeping, balancing the network in order to make more obvious changes in the future.
Just seen it Virgin was busy last night.
Old 10-04-2019, 15:46   #576
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Just seen it Virgin was busy last night.
Yup. When I first saw it I was like and then I looked closer and thought "oh, nothing much has changed really".

It looks much more major than it probably was, not that I'm very tech savvy on cable networks.
Old 10-04-2019, 15:53   #577
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Yup. When I first saw it I was like and then I looked closer and thought "oh, nothing much has changed really".

It looks much more major than it probably was, not that I'm very tech savvy on cable networks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K6Re8k02HE
Old 10-04-2019, 15:57   #578
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Very appropriate.
Old 10-04-2019, 19:09   #579
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Virgin Media has now combined the Factual and Lifestyle genres in their Channel Guide PDF:

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...April82019.pdf

SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 19:19   #580
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Virgin Media has now combined the Factual and Lifestyle genres in their Channel Guide PDF:

Good. It was looking a bit silly having some Factual channels at the end of the Lifestyle section. And combining them is the most sensible and easy solution.

And they've added Total Country to the Music section, that was missing from the April 1 dated PDF version of the TV guide.
Old 10-04-2019, 19:30   #581
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Although it doesn’t appear to have happened overnight the space freed up will find itself next to the broadband frequencies for more bonded downstream channels and delivery of DOCSIS 3.1.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 00:32   #582
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Only the Manchester based networks according to information I have seen, which is why it has shown up on DBR (which uses Manchester data). Virgin has a rolling programme of frequency changes usually updating related regional network groups at the same time. The rolling programme also applies to the conversion of any remaining 64QAM frequencies to 256QAM and, apparently, the conversion of the symbol rate used by Langley networks to match the symbol rate used by the rest of Virgin's networks.

These are interesting developments for techies who enjoy studying these changes but they are just housekeeping updates.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 13:30   #583
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Nice find!

Given the Catch-up On-demand for C5 channels tends to only come in HD flavour these days (I only really have Law & Order SVU on 5USA to go on for regular observations of this) it doesn't surprise me as much as it might have in the past, pre-Paramount Network HD.

The screen capture on that DigitalBitRate page is dated 24th March 2019 and it's a bit odd it's in MPEG2, but very interesting.

Had a look prompted by your find ScottishSteve and found that it also on a different multiplex (here) and the screen capture is dated last night, 3rd April. And also here, screen capture dated 29th March.
5STAR is launching their first original British drama, Clink, on 18th April.

Also, new episodes of IMPACT! will premiere on 5STAR from 26th April.

It seems the ideal time to launch 5STAR HD.
Old 11-04-2019, 14:21   #584
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
5STAR is launching their first original British drama, Clink, on 18th April.

Also, new episodes of IMPACT! will premiere on 5STAR from 26th April.

It seems the ideal time to launch 5STAR HD.
Based on that, yes, it would.

However it turned out the V-labelled feeds we were seeing on DBR with 5Star content were On-demand feeds.
Old 11-04-2019, 19:06   #585
SonicMaster
cf.geek

Quote:
Based on that, yes, it would.

However it turned out the V-labelled feeds we were seeing on DBR with 5Star content were On-demand feeds.
So a false alarm, that's a shame. However, Virgin Media and Sky customers can watch most new 5STAR shows in HD via Catch Up.