Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2019, 20:05   #556
denphone
Still alive and fighting
 
denphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 50,858
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post


It has been reported that a rationalisation of Sky channels is likely soon. It's what this means in practice that is the great unknown. However, to speculate that Universal and /or Syfy will have their content migrated to a standard definition channel does not sound very credible to me, does it to you?
There are no reports at all just a figment of ones imagination.

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
However, to speculate that Universal and /or Syfy will have their content migrated to a standard definition channel does not sound very credible to me, does it to you?.
Unsubstantiated IMO.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
denphone is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2019, 20:07   #557
Media Boy
GOT NEWS? PM us
 
Media Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy HQ
Posts: 12,546
Media Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

C21 Media was reporting on Friday:

Quote:
The final structure of the new-look channels business is not yet finalised but senior execs are also expected to leave as the two companies align their programming departments.
__________________
Blog - Updated Jul. 23rd.
What may launch - Jun. 30th.
MPEG4 News - Jul 23rd.
Media Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:45   #558
cheekyangus
cf.geek
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
cheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to all
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Rumours now say on DS Forum that Insight deal with Sky was up that why the axe.

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------



We can see the following happen:

Universal Channel will close and move shows to Sky Witness, Sky One or Sky Two.
SyFy will close and move shows to Sky One or Sky Two.
E! and Movies 24 will become part of Realives brand.

New Channels?

Sky Three (For replays of the best shows on Sky One or Sky Two)
Real Action (For all the UK Reality shows from Realives, Sky One and Sky Witness to move to)
Sky Two +1
Sky Three +1
Sky Two HD
Sky Three HD
Real Action +1
Realives HD

Why?
If Sky and Universal did the following Sky would cut the replays on the main channels.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

That me put my 50p in

I know Sky is a household name in the UK but why would the Sky <insert number> name format be better than more distinctive names that have been around for years? SyFy, Universal, E! and Movies24 have been around for years. UK viewers know those brands.

Numbers don't convey content, viewers will forget which channel broadcasts the type of show they like. Will it become obvious that their favourite vampire show is on Sky 6 and so is their US housewife docu-soap?

I think Pick TV can be said to be doing a lot better now than under its old name of Sky3. And a good non-Sky example is Dave, it used to be UKTV G2, though admittedly much of the success there is because it coincided with it going Free-To-Air, but UKTV G2 doesn't roll off the tongue.

And staying with the UKTV example, there was a time when all their channels had UKTV added to their names. That was ultimately deemed not the best idea, so co-branding with Sky e.g. Sky SyFy and Sky Universal isn't necessarily a good alternative.

There were reports a few months ago, before Sky was bought, that Real Lives would close. The ratings numbers are tiny and I doubt most viewers would even recognise the brand. Partially because even though it's Free-To-Air, it's not on Freeview. I can't imagine Sky using that brand instead of the internationally known E!, which UK viewers are long familiar with.

I'd even go as far to say that Sky entertainment channels with numbers, other than Sky One, don't last very long, and those that do are continually relaunched. Sky Two has previously been Sky2, Sky Mix and Sky One Mix and it hasn't been a distinct channel for most of that. With on-demand increasing in popularity it has become increasingly irrelevant.

So I'm predicting the NBCUniversal channel brands to remain the same in the UK. The cost savings will come from the premises move already announced, and overlapping job positions being merged.
cheekyangus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 13:04   #559
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,137
jfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of societyjfman is a pillar of society
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

I’d imagine what Comcast do with their brands will be try to make them as broadly uniform worldwide where they can.

It won’t always be possible, but with everything moving in the direction of a small number of worldwide distributors over the air, satellite, cable and online it makes sense.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 13:29   #560
fox35
cf.member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 36
fox35 will become famous soon enoughfox35 will become famous soon enoughfox35 will become famous soon enough
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Rumours now say on DS Forum that Insight deal with Sky was up that why the axe.

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------



We can see the following happen:

Universal Channel will close and move shows to Sky Witness, Sky One or Sky Two.
SyFy will close and move shows to Sky One or Sky Two.
E! and Movies 24 will become part of Realives brand.

New Channels?

Sky Three (For replays of the best shows on Sky One or Sky Two)
Real Action (For all the UK Reality shows from Realives, Sky One and Sky Witness to move to)
Sky Two +1
Sky Three +1
Sky Two HD
Sky Three HD
Real Action +1
Realives HD

Why?
If Sky and Universal did the following Sky would cut the replays on the main channels.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

That me put my 50p in
I honestly doubt any of the above will occur. I believe probably the opposite will happen.
The NBCU channels, along with FOX, are in my opinion are far stronger both content and brand wise than any Sky branded numeric channel. The glory days of Sky One having all the first run top US drama series ended about 15-20 years ago, even Sky Atlantic, is not the same as its launch first year. Though Sky Witness has improved too and is now far superior than Sky 1.
So I can see Sky 1 and 2 closing with main drama content sifted across to Universal TV, SyFy, Atlantic and Witness, and other content moved to one of the many lifestyle channels. Pick should continue with increased rerun content from NBCU.
I think the Sky branding is now only associated strongly with Football and questionably Sky News, so possibly NBCU may just continue the brand as a provider only, ie Direct TV or Dish Network, as opposed to a branded broadcast network of channels.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 13:48   #561
muppetman11
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,713
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

I'd politely disagree , Sky One viewing far exceeds Universal channel , Comcast will use the Sky brand to expand across Europe no way the main Sky Entertainment channels are going anywhere.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 13:53   #562
denphone
Still alive and fighting
 
denphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 50,858
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'd politely disagree , Sky One viewing far exceeds Universal channel , Comcast will use the Sky brand to expand across Europe no way the main Sky Entertainment channels are going anywhere.
Just what l stated yesterday as where is the substantiated proof that certain Sky Entertainment Channels are closing as there ain't any and there never has been.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”

Last edited by denphone; 08-04-2019 at 14:14.
denphone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 14:54   #563
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,243
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I know Sky is a household name in the UK but why would the Sky <insert number> name format be better than more distinctive names that have been around for years? SyFy, Universal, E! and Movies24 have been around for years. UK viewers know those brands.

Numbers don't convey content, viewers will forget which channel broadcasts the type of show they like. Will it become obvious that their favourite vampire show is on Sky 6 and so is their US housewife docu-soap?

I think Pick TV can be said to be doing a lot better now than under its old name of Sky3. And a good non-Sky example is Dave, it used to be UKTV G2, though admittedly much of the success there is because it coincided with it going Free-To-Air, but UKTV G2 doesn't roll off the tongue.

And staying with the UKTV example, there was a time when all their channels had UKTV added to their names. That was ultimately deemed not the best idea, so co-branding with Sky e.g. Sky SyFy and Sky Universal isn't necessarily a good alternative.

There were reports a few months ago, before Sky was bought, that Real Lives would close. The ratings numbers are tiny and I doubt most viewers would even recognise the brand. Partially because even though it's Free-To-Air, it's not on Freeview. I can't imagine Sky using that brand instead of the internationally known E!, which UK viewers are long familiar with.

I'd even go as far to say that Sky entertainment channels with numbers, other than Sky One, don't last very long, and those that do are continually relaunched. Sky Two has previously been Sky2, Sky Mix and Sky One Mix and it hasn't been a distinct channel for most of that. With on-demand increasing in popularity it has become increasingly irrelevant.

So I'm predicting the NBCUniversal channel brands to remain the same in the UK. The cost savings will come from the premises move already announced, and overlapping job positions being merged.
Real Lives is a pay channel (though there have been rumours for a long time that it could go FTA at some point and it's been speculated that this is why it has no Sky branding).

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
I honestly doubt any of the above will occur. I believe probably the opposite will happen.
The NBCU channels, along with FOX, are in my opinion are far stronger both content and brand wise than any Sky branded numeric channel. The glory days of Sky One having all the first run top US drama series ended about 15-20 years ago, even Sky Atlantic, is not the same as its launch first year. Though Sky Witness has improved too and is now far superior than Sky 1.
So I can see Sky 1 and 2 closing with main drama content sifted across to Universal TV, SyFy, Atlantic and Witness, and other content moved to one of the many lifestyle channels. Pick should continue with increased rerun content from NBCU.
I think the Sky branding is now only associated strongly with Football and questionably Sky News, so possibly NBCU may just continue the brand as a provider only, ie Direct TV or Dish Network, as opposed to a branded broadcast network of channels.
The very first Sky channel was 'Sky Channel'. When they increased their number of channels it was renamed to Sky 1, so I think that the original intention was to go down the route of numbering them, but then it was decided to name them by genre. With this in mind, Sky 1 etc are a bit of an anomoly so you could well be right.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 15:00   #564
cheekyangus
cf.geek
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
cheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to all
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'd politely disagree , Sky One viewing far exceeds Universal channel , Comcast will use the Sky brand to expand across Europe no way the main Sky Entertainment channels are going anywhere.
I don't think Sky One will close, or Sky Witness or Sky Atlantic.

I do think Sky Two will close though. As far as I'm concerned Pick TV is what any Sky Two should be, but the Sky Two name has too many bad associations with viewers these days as it doesn't (appear to, maybe I'm wrong) have any unique programming and is thought of as a Sky One recent repeats channel.

If Sky Two doesn't close, maybe it will be given an non-numerical name rebrand, or maybe there's an international Comcast brand they could use. It needs a theme, an identity, but not a crime channel... because they are everywhere at the moment.
cheekyangus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 15:00   #565
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,243
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Just what l stated yesterday as where is the substantiated proof that certain Sky Entertainment Channels are closing as there ain't any and there never has been.
At the end of last October the CEO of Sky, Jeremy Darroch, confirmed that Sky would be closing a number of entertainment channels and no longer acquiring niche films. No names or quantity were given, but It's been speculated that these are likely to be Sky 2 and Real Lives:

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/10/...rtainment.html
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 15:06   #566
cheekyangus
cf.geek
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
cheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to allcheekyangus is a name known to all
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Real Lives is a pay channel (though there have been rumours for a long time that it could go FTA at some point and it's been speculated that this is why it has no Sky branding).
Ooops.
I swear I thought I had read that it had launched on FreeSat years ago.

But clearly not.

Thanks Richard.
cheekyangus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 15:11   #567
muppetman11
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,713
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
At the end of last October the CEO of Sky, Jeremy Darroch, confirmed that Sky would be closing a number of entertainment channels and no longer acquiring niche films. No names or quantity were given, but It's been speculated that these are likely to be Sky 2 and Real Lives:

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/10/...rtainment.html
Both of those are pointless but I'm referring to it's better performing channels Sky One , Sky Witness and Sky Atlantic I'd imagine all of those would remain.

In Sky Boxsets 30 Rock , The Mindy Project have been added as Sky One and Law and Order Special Victims Unit as Sky Witness so I'd imagine those channels are safe.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 15:39   #568
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,243
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Ooops.
I swear I thought I had read that it had launched on FreeSat years ago.

But clearly not.

Thanks Richard.
No problem I think that they ought to either make it FTA or close it as at the moment It's neither use nor ornament as we say here in Yorkshire
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 18:16   #569
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 9,321
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Just what l stated yesterday as where is the substantiated proof that certain Sky Entertainment Channels are closing as there ain't any and there never has been.
It wasn't a prediction, Den. We are all just speculating on the back of very little information. But we do know that Sky is looking to rationalise its channels, as Richard says above. We just don't yet know how they will do it.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 08-04-2019 at 18:21.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 15:55   #570
Media Boy
GOT NEWS? PM us
 
Media Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy HQ
Posts: 12,546
Media Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Look like no channels are set to move over to MPEG4 this week.

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The very first Sky channel was 'Sky Channel'. When they increased their number of channels it was renamed to Sky 1, so I think that the original intention was to go down the route of numbering them, but then it was decided to name them by genre. With this in mind, Sky 1 etc are a bit of an anomoly so you could well be right.
Sky One did not start up as Sky Channel (Information found on Wikipedia):

Quote:
Sky One started on 26 April 1982 as Satellite Television, and was Europe's first ever cable and satellite channel.

On 27 June 1983, the shareholders of Satellite Television agreed a £5 million offer to give News International 65% of the company. Murdoch extended the broadcast hours and the number of countries the station broadcast to including the United Kingdom. On 16 January 1984, the channel was renamed Sky Channel.
Sky One was launch on February 5th 1989:

When it moved over to Astra 1A

At launch the only UK Channels was (As seen by me in mid 1990):

-ScreenSport (Later tookover by Eurosport)
-Eurosport (Was part own by Sky until 1991)
-The Children's Channel - 6am to 10am Weekdays or 12pm weekends
-Lifestyle
-Sky One
-Sky News
-MTV Europe
-Sky Movies
__________________
Blog - Updated Jul. 23rd.
What may launch - Jun. 30th.
MPEG4 News - Jul 23rd.

Last edited by Media Boy; 09-04-2019 at 16:07.
Media Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 12 (2 members and 10 guests)
mot12, Ultimate.Conj
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:26.


Server: xenon.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.