Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements

Old 14-01-2021, 23:30   #16
pav4n
cf.member

pav4n is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASMO View Post
Customers will be able to request the new service by calling customer care and most Hub 3 customers can order via the Connect App.

i cant see this on the app? any ideas
On the connect app go to broadband and connect to wifi, tap the menu option in the top right and choose "Scan for WiFi blackspots".

This will then take you through a whole process of going room to room and checking wifi signal however it has no idea where you actually are so just walk to the lowest signal point (or down the road) and scan, at first it will try to "optimise" your wifi which probably means change channel and then it should offer a booster when that doesn't work. It only offered me one, the terms and conditions say a 2nd will only be sent following assessment by a virgin media agent inside the account address whatever that means and a 3rd will only be installed by a technician after a review of your network setup.

FYI to anyone trying this, I just went through this process and I am on a discounted Ultimate Oomph package and it explicitly stated it was free for Ultimate Oomph customers and that there would be no changes to my contract but on the final confirmation page it tried to add £5 to my monthly charge!!

I will try to phone them tomorrow as it can't hurt to try for free. According to the Plume site below it supports an ethernet backhaul which I will use so speeds should be reasonable.

https://support.plume.com/hc/en-gb/a...i-performance-
pav4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2021, 10:35   #17
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

This is what I'm getting when I try to order

Sorry Unfortunately this offer isn’t available to you at the moment, but keep checking back as it will be soon.
Old 15-01-2021, 12:50   #18
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

My Eero mesh gives gives me flawless coverage throughout my home and garden, coupled with a simple app, it's hard to beat.
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 20:20   #19
Tazz
cf.member

Services: BT Infinity 2 80/20 Sipgate VOIP
Tazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about them

Managed to order the Intelligent Wi-Fi Plus service with my Gig one FOC on Friday after talking to 5 people. Come on Tuesday had to talk to customer care to get them ordered then Tech support was crazy.
Tazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 20:58   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASMO View Post
i cant see this on the app? any ideas
yeah, don't bother. VM keep trying to release new apps, shubs and other bits of tech to try give the impression they are being innovative and keeping up with technology and every time everyone jumps on the bandwagon, gets it and then moans it doesn't work and VM support are useless etc etc. When will you all learn your lesson. Freebies are great but if it causes you a load of hassle why bother? If you are all so concerned about your wifi performance that much then buy a proper router and/or proper wireless access points. If not then you are doomed to VM performance standards for eternity.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 22:52   #21
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

They can KEEP them. We pay more than enough without paying a further £5..Going up £3:50p again in March.
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 23:04   #22
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Someone posted on the Virgin Community Forum that the pods are out of stock until March.
Old 24-01-2021, 23:42   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

ahhhhh, what shame.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 18:46   #24
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
My eero mesh gives gives me flawless coverage throughout my home and garden, coupled with a simple app, it's hard to beat.
I thought I would run a speedtest on my laptop connecting on 5ghz channel on eero, when I was using Hub 3 I was lucky to see 70 down and 10 up.

BTW my eero hub is upstairs next to Hub 3 and I'm downstairs. As you may have guessed I'm on 200/20 tier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedtes.JPG (39.9 KB, 37 views)
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:32   #25
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

While having to wait for new hubs to come in, I now have to register my interest so they will contact me when they have any.
Old 05-02-2021, 18:03   #26
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I have just recieved an invitation to trial the new Intelligent WiFi Pods though the VM community forum. Not sure if there is any point in my doing so as I can access my wifi from everywhere I need within my house. If I do the trial I get to keep them afterwards
Quote:
Pods can help improve wifi performance around the home. There are no charges or contract changes for participating in the trial, and you'll be able to keep your pod, should you choose, after the trial.
Old 05-02-2021, 18:46   #27
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I have just recieved an invitation to trial the new Intelligent WiFi Pods though the VM community forum. Not sure if there is any point in my doing so as I can access my wifi from everywhere I need within my house. If I do the trial I get to keep them afterwards
So have I.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:21   #28
qwakuk
cf.member

Services: Ultimate Oomph, 3 V6 boxes, M600 BB
qwakuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Add me to the list.

SH3 wifi turned off and use an Unifi AC Lite
qwakuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:17   #29
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So have I.
I had a similar invite a few years ago to test some Netgear WiFi extenders which were 'yours to keep' after the trial. When we moved house a couple of years ago and left Virgin they were on the list of kit they wanted returning. Had to nip round to the daughters to retrieve them!!
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 14:39   #30
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I had a similar invite a few years ago to test some Netgear WiFi extenders which were 'yours to keep' after the trial. When we moved house a couple of years ago and left Virgin they were on the list of kit they wanted returning. Had to nip round to the daughters to retrieve them!!
I have been on several trials in the past. I think they use me as a " idiotic old biddy" So if I don't have problems then the kit/tweaks must be OK for release.

I do use my Hub3 in router mode but, as far as I can see I can't see how the pods would help so I doubt if I will join the trial.

Unless someone here can suggest a benefit in my using them?