Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Questions about BT landlines.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

O2 having a few issues

Old 06-12-2018, 13:22   #1
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
O2 having a few issues

Seems that the O2 network (which includes Tesco) are having a few problems today, thousands of people complaining because they can't access one thing or another.

It certainly brings home just how fallible these things are, one bad piece of equipment, cable, switch or whatever can disrupt the lives of so many . . .

Obviously some users have genuine problems due to this issue, but I guess most are just annoyed they can't access facebook while on the bus to town
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2018, 13:37   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: O2 having a few issues

It must be major, because even when I worked there (15 years ago) resilience and fail-over were designed in from the start of build.

Calls are working, just not the data services.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 13:47   #3
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Yes you'd expect 'failsafe' mechanisms to be in place . . I think I read somewhere the issue was with a third party provider, no idea who or what that would be though?
Old 06-12-2018, 13:57   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

The message on the O2 status page is
Quote:
The network issue we are currently experiencing remains a top priority for us and we are working as quickly as possible to fix the issues.

All O2 technical teams are working closely with one of our third party suppliers who has identified a global software issue in their system which has impacted data services.

We believe other mobile operators around the world are also affected.

We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience.
Sounds like a major network service is outsourced to a 3rd party, or a hardware/software supplier's update wasn't optimal, and it's gone toots-up.

The word on the street is that it is the Son of Ericc...
Old 06-12-2018, 14:01   #5
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Yea it seems to be a National Outage .. i just got a few texts returned as unsent there .WhatsApp is working when using it in the house and using the VM Wi-Fi but as soon as i go outside i'm losing the 4g signal and can't send WhatsApp messages ...

Just went outside to test it out of noseyness lol i could have just turned Wi-fi off on the mobile and tested it in the house but i was needing some red onions for me soup from the shops anyway
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 14:07   #6
Carth
cf.mega poster

Having just had a very quick read of what they (Son of . .) offer/provide globally, I'd go with the software update scenario myself, but I'm no telecoms engineer
Old 06-12-2018, 14:13   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

It's not just here...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/6/1...ftware-failure
Quote:
An Ericsson equipment issue is behind mobile network outages across both the UK and Japan that left millions without smartphone coverage, reports the Financial Times. The Telefónica-owned O2 network in the UK was down as of 5AM local time, just as Japan’s SoftBank was also experiencing difficulties. SoftBank has just over over 30 million subscribers in Japan while O2 has 32 million in the UK along with MVNOs including Tesco Mobile and Giffgaff which also utilize its network.

The FT reports that two sources with knowledge of the situation said that equipment from the Swedish manufacturer Ericsson was to blame for the outages, a claim that neither O2, SoftBank, nor Ericsson was willing to confirm. In a statement, O2 said that a “global software issue” with one of its global suppliers was to blame for the outage. SoftBank, which also uses Ericsson’s equipment, said it was “examining the cause” of the issue.
Update - Softbank say their issue has been resolved.

https://jw-webmagazine.com/softbank-...d-910e9fda861d
Old 06-12-2018, 14:46   #8
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

I'm using Tesco Mobile and calls/data/texts been gone since breakfast time.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 17:05   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

GiffGaff and Tesco Mobile use the O2 network.
Old 06-12-2018, 17:41   #10
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
GiffGaff and Tesco Mobile use the O2 network.
I know, I have a friend who works for O2 (Telefonica) I'll be having stern words.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:06   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Not expected to be fully fixed until tomorrow morning.
Old 06-12-2018, 20:38   #12
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Both giffgaff and O2 seem to be working now.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 21:43   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Both giffgaff and O2 seem to be working now.

mines been out all day, I get the very occational data but it goes.

I have heard that some people have lost phone as well.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26   #14
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

And now I'm getting endless repeat text messages from my daughter who is on Tesco Mobile which uses O2..How do I stop it?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:01   #15
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
And now I'm getting endless repeat text messages from my daughter who is on Tesco Mobile which uses O2..How do I stop it?
Change your number.

Move house too, just to be safe.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote