Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-03-2008, 13:47   #1846
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

MP's start to apply pressure over Phorm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...t_westminster/

That should send the shares into a nosedive
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2008, 13:52   #1847
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
MP's start to apply pressure over Phorm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...t_westminster/

That should send the shares into a nosedive
You beat me to it! This is good news.

Keep spreading the word!!!
Old 28-03-2008, 14:11   #1848
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaygee View Post
Virgin hasn't answered the most important five words in the language, "What's in it for me?".
And there was me thinking the most important five words were "so, your place or mine" and it was the three important words we were all looking for.
Old 28-03-2008, 14:20   #1849
3x2
Inactive

3x2 is on a distinguished road3x2 is on a distinguished road

While it is good that some MP's think this is something to ask questions about it's hardly the rush to defend constituents that some of us had hoped for. You might have thought that a proposal to wire-tap millions of their voting constituents (so close to an election) might have generated a bit more interest in The House.
Old 28-03-2008, 14:30   #1850
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

Consumers have widespread concerns around privacy and data protection
http://www.ofcomconsumerpanel.org.uk/news/270308.htm

Doesn't specifically mention Phorm, but even so, it's very relevant.

What's the betting that Phorm PR will use this report to support their pro-personal privacy policy as the Phorm software doesn't store personal info (while carefully neglecting to mention that it intercepts, scans, and profiles as much as it can).
Old 28-03-2008, 15:33   #1851
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

ORG and FIPR meet with Phorm:

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...et-with-phorm/

Nothing Richard Clayton and I saw yesterday appeared to contradict the legal analysis issued by FIPR last week, analysis that raised questions as to Phorm’s legality under section 1 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act. But the Phorm issue is far more likely to be decided upon in the court of public opinion than in a court of law.
Old 28-03-2008, 15:39   #1852
Paddy1
cf.addict

Paddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxminx View Post
What's the betting that Phorm PR will use this report to support their pro-personal privacy policy as the Phorm software doesn't store personal info (while carefully neglecting to mention that it intercepts, scans, and profiles as much as it can).
I've been thinking about this random number that they use to aggregate your browsing habits. Surely if this number is allocated to a specific person/browser/account then it is, by definition, "personal data". The fact that it is randomly generated is irrelevant and is perhaps being used as a smoke screen. What, really, is the difference between your PHORM number, IP number or your national insurance number, other than the fact that a person may have multiple PHORM numbers. Indeed, a person may have multiple IP's but they are still considered personal information.

If this is true, and IANAL, then they are, in fact, storing your aggregated browsing history against your personal PHORM number. The only issue may be whether or not a person can be identified by it. Could we make this it public, say by publishing it, and in doing so, cause PHORM to be in breach of the DPA (even more)?
Old 28-03-2008, 15:47   #1853
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/19/phorm_8020_pi/

But how does that work. You tripwire the servers and only one code base can be used. What happens when the code changes. A full review again?
Old 28-03-2008, 16:20   #1854
3x2
Inactive

Quote:
http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...et-with-phorm/
Nothing Richard Clayton and I saw yesterday
OK but again - engaging with Phorm. I'm getting tired of various organisations clouding the issue. I don't want an explanation of Phorm's technology. No matter how they spin things - IT'S A WIRE TAP.
Old 28-03-2008, 16:21   #1855
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x2 View Post
OK but again - engaging with Phorm. I'm getting tired of various organisations clouding the issue. I don't want an explanation of Phorm's technology. No matter how they spin things - IT'S A WIRE TAP.
Trust me, it isn't - Echelon is.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 28-03-2008, 16:32   #1856
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
Trust me, it isn't - Echelon is.
Yep, that's scary...
Old 28-03-2008, 17:04   #1857
3x2
Inactive

It's Friday so on a brighter note - oop's Phorm seems to have dropped another 100 points in the last half hour
Old 28-03-2008, 17:36   #1858
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1 View Post
I've been thinking about this random number that they use to aggregate your browsing habits. Surely if this number is allocated to a specific person/browser/account then it is, by definition, "personal data".
I've been wondering the same thing. Apparently, however, the number they assign you refers to a specific 'ad-channel', which they assign to you based on the keywords in pages you've looked at. You look at gardening websites, they assign you to the gardening ad-channel by giving you that specific ad-channels id number (or a number that identifies a specific selection of ad-channels, based on your browsing).

I'll stand corrected on that one!

My thought though is that no matter how random the number is, it refers to the type of ads they serve to your computer, so It must be personal, if not to you, then certainly to your computer!
Old 28-03-2008, 17:45   #1859
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1 View Post
I've been thinking about this random number that they use to aggregate your browsing habits. Surely if this number is allocated to a specific person/browser/account then it is, by definition, "personal data". The fact that it is randomly generated is irrelevant and is perhaps being used as a smoke screen. What, really, is the difference between your PHORM number, IP number or your national insurance number, other than the fact that a person may have multiple PHORM numbers. Indeed, a person may have multiple IP's but they are still considered personal information.

If this is true, and IANAL, then they are, in fact, storing your aggregated browsing history against your personal PHORM number. The only issue may be whether or not a person can be identified by it. Could we make this it public, say by publishing it, and in doing so, cause PHORM to be in breach of the DPA (even more)?
I've seen a quote from someone in Phorm this week that the cookie number is actually Pseudorandom. I would imagine that in cryptography circles, that particular word gets a hearty laugh, a nudge and a wink.
Old 28-03-2008, 18:43   #1860
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x2 View Post
I can understand how you feel but I personally do want an explanation of their technology. I have pushed hard in my confrontations with the PR team on a few blogs for them to come forward and give some real crystal clear technical answers to the technical questions put to them.

Does that mean that I somehow want to find some sort of compromise with Phorm? Hell, no, it doesnt. I want Phorm to go out of business and drag other companies like them over the abyss with them. It just means that at last we will be getting decent answers. Lets remember, to quote a good old fashioned cliche, "the devil is in the details."

If they do actually come forward and stop spinning and give detailed, non-obfuscated answers to the questions posed to them then maybe, just maybe, there will be a smoking gun in there. Something we can use to truly land a killer blow. At the very least, if they do this, hopefully it will mark a change in direction and the end to all this disingeniuos PR spinning.
Closed Thread