Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25-06-2008, 15:51   #10111
3x2
Inactive

3x2 is on a distinguished road3x2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
"We’re also going to help out making a website about easy encryption - both for your harddrives and your net traffic."

From Peter Sundes' blog, which can be found HERE

Every little helps, everyday the erosion builds, everyday their model fails a little more as the knowledge spreads..
If BTPhorm go ahead and many of us turn to encryption I think we should run a pool on when some clueless minister (Jacqui?) suggests that encryption should be outlawed on the net.

The problem for HMG is that it would interfere with data retention policies. My records would probably show that I only ever visit one site. My encrypted proxy - in another country.

Yet another reason for HMG to outlaw Phorm and the other parasites.
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2008, 15:51   #10112
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
could it be stephen hawking uses a computer to synthesize speech as he can't talk himself?
Nope.

I quoted it because we just need to keep spreading the word, but there is real irony there, trust me.
Old 25-06-2008, 15:53   #10113
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
"ıt doesn't have to be like this.....
all we need to do is make sure we keep talking."

-Stephen Hawking

Finally got a Mighty Floyd reference in.

Ok, who can spot the delicious irony relating to the quote I just used?
Isn't Stepehn Hawking the person who passed with honours and has an illness something not sure if it was motor something seem to remember him in the news a lot.
Old 25-06-2008, 16:02   #10114
NTLVictim
Inactive

NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Isn't Stepehn Hawking the person who passed with honours and has an illness something not sure if it was motor something seem to remember him in the news a lot.
He has motor neurone disease and despite this holds Newtons chair as the Lucasian professor of mathematics at Cambridge, he is regarded as the greatest scientific mind since Newton or Einstein.

I like his books.

We haven't found the irony yet...sorry mods, just a bit of morale boosting.
Old 25-06-2008, 16:05   #10115
Sue Miller
Inactive

Sue Miller will become famous soon enoughSue Miller will become famous soon enoughSue Miller will become famous soon enough

Quote:
- Letter to Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer expressing grave concern that she has apparently met with a 'Wolf in sheeps clothing' and simply referencing the history of Phorm as 121Media with a non-technical short explanation of what rootkits are.

Dear Cable Forum,

Since I spoke in the Lords about data protection, I have learnt more about the gaps in the regulations covering organisations such as Phorm and their webwise system. I agree that there are serious questions to be answered about information interception through ISPs and its implications for web users and website owners.

I am grateful to several forum members for contributing to my understanding of the next steps that can be taken in legislation.

Data protection and privacy are increasingly under threat in this country, partly because the internet is awash with people’s personal information. The general public has, like me, a pretty basic understanding of the technology, so it has been especially useful to have such a lively correspondence following the debate. Thank you for working hard to bring to light the issues involved in this case. While the Lords may not seem to you to be a natural place to debate questions of online data security, I assure you that the Liberal Democrats in both Houses will work hard to ensure the better regulation of data protection both off- and on-line.

Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer
Liberal Democrat Home Affairs Spokesperson
Old 25-06-2008, 16:15   #10116
3x2
Inactive

3x2 is on a distinguished road3x2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
While the Lords may not seem to you to be a natural place to debate questions of online data security
More worrying is that it seems to be the only place that debate is taking place.
Old 25-06-2008, 16:17   #10117
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Miller View Post
Dear Cable Forum,

Since I spoke in the Lords about data protection, I have learnt more about the gaps in the regulations covering organisations such as Phorm and their webwise system. I agree that there are serious questions to be answered about information interception through ISPs and its implications for web users and website owners.

I am grateful to several forum members for contributing to my understanding of the next steps that can be taken in legislation.

Data protection and privacy are increasingly under threat in this country, partly because the internet is awash with people’s personal information. The general public has, like me, a pretty basic understanding of the technology, so it has been especially useful to have such a lively correspondence following the debate. Thank you for working hard to bring to light the issues involved in this case. While the Lords may not seem to you to be a natural place to debate questions of online data security, I assure you that the Liberal Democrats in both Houses will work hard to ensure the better regulation of data protection both off- and on-line.

Reading this sent shivers down my spine I suddenly feel we are getting somewhere, I know things move slowly but a light has just started to shine.

Many thanks for posting this and if you are the lady my gratitude for coming here to post we do appreciate all who are willing to listen..
Old 25-06-2008, 16:18   #10118
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Dear Cable Forum,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for keeping an open mind about the issue.

Your posting here is greatly appreciated.
Old 25-06-2008, 16:18   #10119
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Dear Cable Forum,

HI and welcome and what a great first post.
Old 25-06-2008, 16:23   #10120
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dear Cable Forum,

Thanks for that, what a nice day this is turning out to be
Old 25-06-2008, 16:28   #10121
NTLVictim
Inactive

Quote:
Dear Cable Forum,

I like her already...and Welcome, Sue!
Old 25-06-2008, 16:34   #10122
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
{snip}
{snip}
Many people believe that there is already sufficient legislation for this to be stopped.

For some reason, it's just not being used.
Old 25-06-2008, 16:40   #10123
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

I guess the lady is too modest to post it herself: http://suemiller.org.uk/
Old 25-06-2008, 16:49   #10124
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Dear Cable Forum,

Thank you for taking the time to come along here and post; your interest in this matter is most welcome.

OB

btw. I've never waved a placard at a baroness before.
Old 25-06-2008, 16:50   #10125
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
I guess the lady is too modest to post it herself: http://suemiller.org.uk/
It was posted by Sue Miller I appreciate the fact Sue came to cable forum to post the reply for us instead of somone posting it or summerising the reply.
Closed Thread