Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | London's rising Murder Rate

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

London's rising Murder Rate

Old 08-07-2018, 18:43   #61
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: London's rising Murder Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If the Mayor of London can't sort this, the May government should simply increase the penalties significantly. She will have to build more prisons, though.
Where will the money to build and run the prisons come from? More taxes or more borrowing?
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2018, 18:45   #62
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Where will the money to build and run the prisons come from? More taxes or more borrowing?
The overseas aid budget, mate.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 18:55   #63
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post

You said Manchester was less violent than London. It isn't. It has a murder murder rate and has had larger increases in violent crime than London.
You are selectively picking on one trend of crime, overall crime has still fallen and London is not as safe as Manchester, especially given all the stabbings and shootings London has had this year, London over took New York earlier this year for the first time in history - that is bad.

I maintain that London has got worse under Sadiq Khan. He is under achieving.

https://www.quora.com/In-the-UK-how-...ared-to-London

The above link indicates Manchester is safer than London on the Peace Index.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 19:03   #64
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
You are selectively picking on one trend of crime, overall crime has still fallen and London is not as safe as Manchester, especially given all the stabbings and shootings London has had this year, London over took New York earlier this year for the first time in history - that is bad.

But does it matter? The answer is to toughen sentences and build more prisons, coupled with proper rehabilitation programmes within those prisons with appropriate measures to prevent drugs and mobile phones from being smuggled in.

Not really understanding why this is so difficult. These criminals are blighting society and need to be dealt with. They won't be, of course, because the bleeding heart liberals will stand in the way. Why are we still listening to them?
Old 08-07-2018, 19:13   #65
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

I am talking about violent crime and murders. I don’t know what the ‘peace index’ is and besides it dates from before Khan become Mayor.

Also New York has since taken the leader over London again. It's why you should be careful taking small datasets.

Last edited by Damien; 08-07-2018 at 19:22.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 21:04   #66
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I'm not sure this is the most constructive of debates as we should be proud of our great British cities which are flourishing now after some areas went through periods of decline after WW2.

However, for the sake of helping us all move forwards on this debate, I found this graphic from Sun Online. It has used Home Office figures to show the areas where people are most at risk of offences such as robbery, burglary and sex crimes. The article is from June 2017 but the age of the data is not stated.

It puts Greater Manchester 3rd (78.4) and London 4th (75.6).
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/385025...urglary-arson/

In terms of Sadiq Kahn's impact, he's only been in power for a couple of years so there's an insufficient length of time to benchmark any impact negative or positive he may have made yet so people's views will be just that.
Old 08-07-2018, 21:16   #67
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I'm not sure this is the most constructive of debates as we should be proud of our great British cities which are flourishing now after some areas went through periods of decline after WW2.

However, for the sake of helping us all move forwards on this debate, I found this graphic from Sun Online. It has used Home Office figures to show the areas where people are most at risk of offences such as robbery, burglary and sex crimes. The article is from June 2017 but the age of the data is not stated.

It puts Greater Manchester 3rd (78.4) and London 4th (75.6).
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/385025...urglary-arson/

In terms of Sadiq Kahn's impact, he's only been in power for a couple of years so there's an insufficient length of time to benchmark any impact negative or positive he may have made yet so people's views will be just that.
WW2? You are scraping the barrel a bit there, Andrew, that was 73 years ago! Christ!

All we actually need is tougher sentences, no early releases, and rehabilitation programmes in our prisons. It's not that difficult. Hardly rocket science!

Most crimes are carried out by the same old offenders.
Old 08-07-2018, 21:26   #68
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

It's interesting how you don't apply this same assessment of time when it comes to the current occupant of the White House....
Old 08-07-2018, 21:32   #69
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
WW2? You are scraping the barrel a bit there, Andrew, that was 73 years ago! Christ!

All we actually need is tougher sentences, no early releases, and rehabilitation programmes in our prisons. It's not that difficult. Hardly rocket science!

Most crimes are carried out by the same old offenders.
Lol, I'm just describing the revival of our cities. Re-read.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Quote:
It's interesting how you don't apply this same assessment of time when it comes to the current occupant of the White House....
Lol, it's Trump supporters who take credit for the booming economy when everyone else says you need ton wait a few years for a genuine comparison!
Old 08-07-2018, 21:38   #70
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I thought Trump wasn't relevant to this thread??
Old 08-07-2018, 22:43   #71
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I thought Trump wasn't relevant to this thread??
Stop nitpicking Stephen, it doesn't become you. He isn't. Because the obvious thing is, this thread is about London....
Old 08-07-2018, 23:30   #72
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Who is nitpicking. You are always first to say he isn't relevant when someone else mentions his name.

Last edited by Stephen; 08-07-2018 at 23:41.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 23:36   #73
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Who is not picking. You are always first to say he isn't relevant when someone else mentions his name.
Geez stop arguing this is getting pathetic - you read too much in to things - he is not relevant to this discussion, it's obvious it isn't, I made a fleeting comment about him and you throw what I said earlier in the day to you. Smacks of desperation to me to try and trip me up, it won't work so pack it in.
Old 08-07-2018, 23:46   #74
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

No one is arguing.

People are just posting evidence and you are choosing to ignore them and continue to claims it's all down to Khan, when one man cannot be responsible to the rise in violent crime.

Also nobody is desperate or trying to trip anyone up.
Old 08-07-2018, 23:59   #75
Mick
Cable Forum Team

No evidence has been posted that I see, where I am wrong and I am not saying anyone else is wrong by the same token - Crime has fallen in England and Wales except violent crime, but overall, all other crimes has fallen.

I would not feel safe in London compared to Manchester, I know because I live in Manchester. The moped gangs, acid attacks that have happened a lot in London - there has not been many of them in Manchester and I know that for fact because I have Manchester Evening News notifications.

We are not going to agree on Sadiq Khan - I think he is a crap Mayor, who is very responsible for policing priorities, there is obvious strong resentment against him allowing the Trump baby blimp, given the massive amount of money raised in short time for a Khan baby counter protest.