Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 14-07-2010, 19:51   #121
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

I think you'll now testify as to how close the sats are together and how easy it is to get the wrong sat.. Honestly could you have done it without a signal meter?

glad you;re now happy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2010, 09:22   #122
norf
Inactive

norf is an unknown quantity at this point

without a meter, no chance, lucky my dad had one included in the kit he bought
norf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 13:39   #123
valian
Inactive

valian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we just bought a ross hd system, and were quite anxious to get it setup quickly as the conservatory is going up Monday so we wont' be able to get easy access to the dish. I contacted them about foreign channels as I was also interested in the Greek channels. They responded and told me that the Greek channels are on 38E where as most Enlglish channels are located at 29E. They suggested 3 ways this could be achieved,1) two dishes and LNBs (one for each satellite) plus a DiSEqC switch (to automatically select between LNBs)

2) one dish with two LNBs (one for each satellite) and a Mono-Bloc mounting system (allowing for accurate placement of LNBs to receive two different beams) plus a DiSEqC switch (as above)

3) a single dish and LNB plus a DiSEqC dish motor (to allow the receiver to turn the dish to face the required satellite
Must say it seems to be getting a little complicated, or is it easy enough and economical enough to get one of the motors?
I did do a search on the motors but see them as DISEQC 1.2 or 2 (have e-mailed them back requesting which one would work).

I guess what I'm asking is will we really be able to put it up ourselves? We did by a signal finder as well. Also will we really get all the channels?
We live in Bournemouth so I have to try and source a motor from somewhere nearby. Appreciate any and all info.
valian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 14:48   #124
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You need a dual mounting unit that will allow two seperate LNB's on the same dish (just that 10degree's is quite an odd split to use a dual LNB) This then can very easily be controlled via a simple diseqc switch.

One thing though that would worry me is the footprint of the sat at 38E. If the footprint is concentrating on SE europe then you might need a very large dish to get even a reasonable signal here in the UK. Will see if I can find the footprint for the sat in question

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

Looking at the sat maps you should be fine with a 60cm dish

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/hellas2.html

The sat in question is HellasSat2 at 39E, looking at the listing though half of the channels are encrypted

http://www.lyngsat.com/hellas2.html
Old 19-08-2010, 15:06   #125
valian
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
You need a dual mounting unit that will allow two seperate LNB's on the same dish (just that 10degree's is quite an odd split to use a dual LNB) This then can very easily be controlled via a simple diseqc switch.

One thing though that would worry me is the footprint of the sat at 38E. If the footprint is concentrating on SE europe then you might need a very large dish to get even a reasonable signal here in the UK. Will see if I can find the footprint for the sat in question

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

Looking at the sat maps you should be fine with a 60cm dish

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/hellas2.html

The sat in question is HellasSat2 at 39E, looking at the listing though half of the channels are encrypted

Thanks for that, like I said true novice here so any and all info is greatly appreciated. (Including translating lingo, such as footprint?). By saying most of the channels are encrypted, does that mean I won't be able to see them?
Thought it best to get a motor so that we can manipulate the dish from inside, now wondering if it's worth it? I presume the LNB is the item that faces the dish? Looks like a microphone? LOL, I did say you are dealing with a total novice.. Although my husband is better at things like calculations and degrees etc., but both of us don't know anything about sats and signals.
Old 19-08-2010, 15:16   #126
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The footprint is the area on the surface of the planet where the satellite aims its broadcasts. Some example footprint diagrams are to be found on the first link Kymmy provided above.

The closer to the edge of the footprint you are, the larger your dish needs to be in order to collect an adequate signal. However judging by the footprint diagram for Hellas2 your standard Sky or Freesat dish should be adequate.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 15:19   #127
Kymmy
Inactive

Sowwy, I do tend to be a bit techie with stuff like this
Old 19-08-2010, 15:21   #128
valian
Inactive

Took a look at lynsat-maps as you linked. How can you tell if something is encrypted?
Old 19-08-2010, 15:25   #129
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The encryption status of channels on Hellas2 is on Kymmy's second link:

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Sowwy, I do tend to be a bit techie with stuff like this
Just as well you have a virtual brother to translate for you.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 15:47   #130
valian
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The encryption status of channels on Hellas2 is on Kymmy's second link:

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Just as well you have a virtual brother to translate for you.

LOL thanks Chris, appreciate your and Kimmy's help. I did take a look at the lings site. I can see the table with the name frequency,etc. but as I'm not familiar with the jargon I'm not sure what tells you whether something is encrypted. Ie; I don't know what the letters A mean etc. Appreciate your patience..
Old 19-08-2010, 17:17   #131
Kymmy
Inactive

If it's got an in the SYSTEM ENCRYPTION column then it's not encrypted
Old 26-08-2010, 18:04   #132
sammy1990
Inactive

sammy1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

how do u get scrabble channal off
sammy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 18:07   #133
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy1990 View Post
how do u get scrabble channal off
You don't like the Scrabble channel? It sounds riveting, hours and hours a day watching people playing Scrabble, awesome!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 18:10   #134
Kymmy
Inactive

I prefer the Sudoku channel myself
Old 26-08-2010, 18:28   #135
sammy1990
Inactive

sammy1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

no its ppl play scrabble the channal will not pay anything
sammy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote