Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-06-2008, 20:07   #8986
NewsreadeR
Inactive

NewsreadeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hi all

Ged here from SkyUser, just to say 'Keep up the good work on fighting Phorm'

What you have managed to do to help grow awareness is absolutely awesome.

Two things, Glenn and I have decided to do to help you fight your case:

1) Added the 468x60 banner to our rotation, to help more people become aware

2) We would like to donate £50 to the fund for purchasing Adwords

Alexander - You rock!

EDIT: Alex - Have donated this to your Paypal Account, its in my wife's name - (Joanne)
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2008, 20:10   #8987
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly_Giraffe View Post
Thanks everyone for the very positive response to the flyer.

Thanks also to Hank and Privacy Matters for their suggested amendments. I've incorporated all of these in a revised (hopefully final) version, available at:
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Flyer.pdf

I've also renamed the Factsheet and you can now find it at:
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Factsheet.pdf

I'll link to them from the site later tonight at which time I'll take down the earlier versions (which have version numbers).

A thought - would it be useful for have addresses on the flyer as suggested by Blackbeak? I could add them on the back e.g. the BT contacts from http://www.inphormationdesk.org/ispcontacts.htm
and Writetothem etc
my website has been updated with the link to the pdf's

peter
Old 15-06-2008, 20:12   #8988
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Think to only type of people who say yes are ever ill informed or so hip they they be the same type who gladly except a rfid chip to be inserted, cos someone told them it`s cool.
Old 15-06-2008, 20:35   #8989
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly_Giraffe View Post
{snip}
A thought - would it be useful for have addresses on the flyer as suggested by Blackbeak? I could add them on the back e.g. the BT contacts from http://www.inphormationdesk.org/ispcontacts.htm
and Writetothem etc
Putting some resources on the back wouldn't hurt at all. Page 1 stands on it's own as a flyer. If people have access to duplex printing they can print the reverse. If they do not have access, they can just print out the first page.

I shall take 100 to work tomorrow and leave in strategic places. This flyer is more effective than my previous attempts.

Provided we do so sensibly and legally, there are lots of things we can do with this.

Put one in your car rear windscreen. You might need to cut it horizontally to maintain vision.

How about putting one under car windscreen wipers in your local Tesco's? A damn site more useful than the 'get rich quick' stuff that normally appears.

Start putting them through letter-boxes.

I think we probably have missed a trick during the lull. We have been trying to get this into the main-stream media rather than taking it to the general public ourselves. We need to remember that the internet is not the only means of communication open to us.
Old 15-06-2008, 20:41   #8990
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
Putting some resources on the back wouldn't hurt at all. Page 1 stands on it's own as a flyer. If people have access to duplex printing they can print the reverse. If they do not have access, they can just print out the first page.

I shall take 100 to work tomorrow and leave in strategic places. This flyer is more effective than my previous attempts.

Provided we do so sensibly and legally, there are lots of things we can do with this.

Put one in your car rear windscreen. You might need to cut it horizontally to maintain vision.

How about putting one under car windscreen wipers in your local Tesco's? A damn site more useful than the 'get rich quick' stuff that normally appears.

I think we probably have missed a trick during the lull. We have been trying to get this into the main-stream media rather than taking it to the general public ourselves.
Ok hows about your local chippy counter, the ones round here allow you leave fliers, also local shops sometimes do as well.
on the fun side anyone got a hot air balloon to drop a few from above.
Old 15-06-2008, 20:47   #8991
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post

thanks!

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Reminder, these letters are essential and even urgent (given the EC visit to London on Friday). If you've got time this evening to jot a letter please do... Credit to Hank for the list.

- Letter to The The Interception of Communications Commissioner
(follow up to the response from a local Police directing that IoCC is responsible for investigating breaches of RIPA 2000)

- Copy of above to Lord Northesk (who asked The Home Office who is responsible)

- Copy of the above to Lord Spithead (from Home Office who said it is the Police or other relevant law enforcement agency's responsibility to investigate)

- Letter to Vivian Reding, member of the EU commission who might be interested in what our government is or is not doing to ensure the laws of the land are applied

- Letter (fax? given the short timescales) to Meglena Kuneva EU Commisioner, who is attending the EC meeting in London on Friday and who's interests include consumer protection, proper law enforcement, and tackling people who wish to cheat and defraud consumers

- Letter to Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer (Lib Dem, House of Lords) expressing grave concern that she has apparently met with a 'Wolf in sheeps clothing' and simply referencing the history of Phorm as 121Media with a non-technical short explanation of what rootkits are.
Old 15-06-2008, 20:53   #8992
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I think we probably have missed a trick during the lull. We have been trying to get this into the main-stream media rather than taking it to the general public ourselves. We need to remember that the internet is not the only means of communication open to us.
ditto.
Although we've been this route before (a couple of months ago when things were moving very fast), it was a bit half-hearted and other events took precedence. Armed with this new 1 page non technical flyer (thx PG) its time to spread the word to the masses.

Lets Rock'n'Roll boys and girls.
Old 15-06-2008, 21:20   #8993
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Hmm interesting article re K*nts Nemesis - http://www.hothardware.com/News/Goog...ling_Detector/ . Quote "We're trying to develop tools, software tools...that allow people to detect what's happening with their broadband connections, so they can let [ISPs] know that they're not happy with what they're getting -- that they think certain services are being tampered with," Google senior policy director Richard Whitt said this morning during a panel discussion at Santa Clara University, an hour south of San Francisco.

Well if Webwise/phorm is not 'tampering' I don't know what is.
Old 15-06-2008, 21:28   #8994
mark777
Inactive

mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
{snip}
Reminder, these letters are essential and even urgent (given the EC visit to London on Friday). If you've got time this evening to jot a letter please do... Credit to Hank for the list.

- Letter to The The Interception of Communications Commissioner
(follow up to the response from a local Police directing that IoCC is responsible for investigating breaches of RIPA 2000)

- Copy of above to Lord Northesk (who asked The Home Office who is responsible)

- Copy of the above to Lord Spithead (from Home Office who said it is the Police or other relevant law enforcement agency's responsibility to investigate)

- Letter to Vivian Reding, member of the EU commission who might be interested in what our government is or is not doing to ensure the laws of the land are applied

- Letter (fax? given the short timescales) to Meglena Kuneva EU Commisioner, who is attending the EC meeting in London on Friday and who's interests include consumer protection, proper law enforcement, and tackling people who wish to cheat and defraud consumers

- Letter to Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer (Lib Dem, House of Lords) expressing grave concern that she has apparently met with a 'Wolf in sheeps clothing' and simply referencing the history of Phorm as 121Media with a non-technical short explanation of what rootkits are.
The coming week is so important. To add to Pete's comments, what about the reports of trials starting in the Times?

The Times is very chummy with phorm so is likely to have confirmed things with them. A false rumour might increase the phorm share price for a day or so, but when it does not materialise, the price will drop further, yet again.

I suspect a trial will start next week.

The more people we can make aware of the issue next week, the better.

Imagine what will happen if there are 'technical' problems with the trial when the EU is in town?

Now is the time to dig deep into the pockets for stamps, printing, adwords etc. and to start walking around putting leaflets through letter-boxes and under windscreen-wipers.
Old 15-06-2008, 21:31   #8995
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin L-Smythe View Post
I cant but feel that after reading todays posts that the hard core of the group tend to overlook the less involved...

read by many but acknowledged by one other.Then late in the day repeated by Hank.

QUOTE=Hank;34575978]Good. It would be a shame for someone who seems to have some intelligence not to learn from so many others that they were wrong.

Deception, Blackbeak, is what Phorm and Webwise is ALL about.

It has to be sold to consumers using deception because there is very little good to be gained by the consumer and plenty to lose. That's why Webwise has been and will continue to be "sold" as giving users security with its anti-phishing piece (the anti-phishing alreday freely available in IE7 etc and therefore just not needed)

Hank

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

oh-oh... we're goin to be victims of their trial again?

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4137799.ece

After a troubled beginning, Phorm’s time may finally have come. The firm tracks the websites that internet users visit and serves them relevant display advertising. So far Virgin Media, Talk Talk and BT – where the latest trial of the technology begins this week – have signed up, keen to get a slice of the online advertising pie.

Significant concerns about Phorm remain. A 20% slide in its thinly traded, volatile shares this year stems from the fact that it is a long way from delivering on its promises. Phorm’s sales are still negligible.

However, the talk is that boss Kent Ertugrul will shortly sign up an overseas internet service provider, too.

Whether his business model gains traction or not, the shares look ready to bounce back.
Info clearly missed by focusing on a Blog and as many have stated the good info is here ,and I can only apologise to zwade that his first and impotant post went unoticed lets keep it tight and read everything.[/quote]

not "Info Clearly missed" mearly to many other things to be doing, and actually doing them in relation to this ISP/Phorm/DPi matter, not just the blog,after all that was old news to me #8895

i have read those posts and infact i did manage to make time to comment on the timeonline here #8968

also spit reading several of the newer posts pages and did intend revisiting when time allowed, 61 web pages open right now (advanced Browser)mostly Phorm related right now....

i did see zwade's post at the time he posted, but i must apologise to him in not seeing a new members first post and given my usual zwade, i must try harder .

so
zwade

and even Blackbeak (even if you chose not to reply to my request, or modify your text...)

but tdadyslexia was there to do welcome zwade also #8932

and OC we cant forget davethejag for his Excellent 13-06-2008, 11:51 #8797 "
Hi, I had an idea about a World War 2 poster but I could not paste it (not very good with this sort of stuff!) I was looking at "A Walls Have Ears" type thing and came accross this. (below) Perhaps it could be modified by some clever person (copyright permitted) for our cause. Here is the link -

http://www.propagandaposters.us/poster11.html

Dave

" Idea....

that is indeed turning out to be one of our best PR plans as time passes.....

theres a mass of WW2 propaganda that puts todays adverts creators to shame, that our artists can indeed use, and take inspiration from for any moden day (so called) soundbite...

and finally OC theres that payed bloke on the tv that cant agree with what Phorm say, that being 80/20Thinking Simon and his interesting posts below

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/se...archid=2352560
Old 15-06-2008, 22:06   #8996
Blackbeak
Inactive

Blackbeak is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBear View Post
Great article, and thank you for listening to the concerns of the people here.

One thing I would change, though, is to remove the "acutely paranoid" comment as it is rather offensive IMHO.

OB
Sorry no offense meant. I was joking as popper suggests. It's removed.
Old 15-06-2008, 22:14   #8997
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:

printing double sided is easy if you have two A4 PDFs , print off say 100 front pages and then just put them through again after turning them over and refeeding them to print the back page....theres also many old free banner printing apps around that can take an A4 image or text and arrange the print que to enlarge it to whatever size you like, then just tape them to gether and put on the back of your window blinds in the office for instance and pull them down again when you go home....the ideas are plentiful but the content is rather thin on the ground right now, for instance i was hopeing for some webcam/phonecam 30 second video protesting to start showing up on http://www.youtube.com/group/AntiPhorm by now.....once the content is made available , people can start using it for all sorts of interesting sounbites clips etc...
Old 15-06-2008, 22:20   #8998
mark777
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
{snip}
theres a mass of WW2 propaganda that puts todays adverts creators to shame, that our artists can indeed use, and take inspiration from for any moden day (so called) soundbite...
{snip}
I would go further than that. I think it would be a good theme for the demo.

I've pointed out in a previous post that the issues that get the votes on the Downing St. petition site seem to be patriotism and saving money (on motoring). Anyone want to dispute that the car tax petition won't soon overtake our one?

We already have a wealth of WW2 derived artwork.

The point of having to defend your rights stands out. You have to fight for your freedoms and fight against those who will take them away.

Nobody could accuse us of being 'geeks', in fact anyone being critical of the thrust of the demo would have to be very careful of what they said. Full stop.

Sometimes 'The Few' make a difference although I would never compare us with what they did.
Old 15-06-2008, 22:40   #8999
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
Hi all

Ged here from SkyUser, just to say 'Keep up the good work on fighting Phorm'

What you have managed to do to help grow awareness is absolutely awesome.

Alexander - You rock!

EDIT: Alex - Have donated this to your Paypal Account, its in my wife's name - (Joanne)
Hi NewsreadeR and to the Forum old friend, I am glad to see you over here, I will pop over to SkyUserRadio in the next week or 2, see you soon.
Old 15-06-2008, 22:49   #9000
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Many people sacrificed their lives in the last century to protect and earn the few rights we have, including freedom to communicate privately. I feel a strong responsibility to protect those rights.

One for our American friends;

Closed Thread