Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 01-11-2021, 09:33   #406
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Well, change is inevitable, which some of you don't want to hear.

Forget Sky Glass, I think people will see through that in the end....().

This TV is more like it, and that is more what I had in mind when I spoke of the TV of the future. Hopefully, it will cross the Atlantic soon, and so far, this would be my next TV of choice.

I need to read more about it, though, but it looks good to me.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/amazon...sale-at-amazon
Old 01-11-2021, 11:50   #407
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

This TV is more like it, and that is more what I had in mind when I spoke of the TV of the future. Hopefully, it will cross the Atlantic soon, and so far, this would be my next TV of choice.

JVC released TVs with amazon fire tv ages ago.

Amazon is great if you have Prime and Netflix and know how to use Downloader . The lower end prices however seem reasonable but looking the 65 inch model is $1k. For £550 you can get a Hisense 65 inch with Prime Netflix and Freeview play and for £30 add an android box if you want one. Both Sky Glass and Amazon Omni can easily be beat on price and Hisense make great TVs
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:10   #408
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

What’s so unique about it ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 13:07   #409
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
What’s so unique about it ?
I need to read more to answer that. But if it enables you to add watchlists across the streaming services, this is what I am really looking for. I have been unable to establish whether or not that is the case as yet.

My TV of choice will put the emphasis on streaming services rather than live TV (which Amazon TV does) while still making live TV an option through IPTV. I am not sure if an aerial is required for the Amazon TV, though, which although not ideal, is not a game-changer for me.

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

This Guardian article points to the increasing number of people (not only the young) who are streaming now, and the fact that broadcasters are having to adapt quickly. It as published earlier this year, but I have only just noticed it.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...hannels-doomed
Old 01-11-2021, 13:34   #410
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Betteridge’s Law of Headlines…

Quote:
"Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.
As Andrew Marr said
Quote:
If the headline asks a question, try answering 'no'. Is This the True Face of Britain's Young? (Sensible reader: No.) Have We Found the Cure for AIDS? (No; or you wouldn't have put the question mark in.) Does This Map Provide the Key for Peace? (Probably not.) A headline with a question mark at the end means, in the vast majority of cases, that the story is tendentious or over-sold. It is often a scare story, or an attempt to elevate some run-of-the-mill piece of reporting into a national controversy and, preferably, a national panic. To a busy journalist hunting for real information a question mark means 'don't bother reading this bit'
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 13:37   #411
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I need to read more to answer that. But if it enables you to add watchlists across the streaming services, this is what I am really looking for. I have been unable to establish whether or not that is the case as yet.

My TV of choice will put the emphasis on streaming services rather than live TV (which Amazon TV does) while still making live TV an option through IPTV. I am not sure if an aerial is required for the Amazon TV, though, which although not ideal, is not a game-changer for me.

This Guardian article points to the increasing number of people (not only the young) who are streaming now, and the fact that broadcasters are having to adapt quickly. It as published earlier this year, but I have only just noticed it.

I’m all in with streaming I don’t use traditional pay TV any longer that said I’m still not sure what that TV would offer over what I already get with my Chromecast or Apple TV 4K ?
Old 01-11-2021, 13:45   #412
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

The Chinese (TCL, Hisense) and Turkey's Vestel have between them been knocking out Amazon and Roku TVs for a while now. The US market TVs in this article don't offer IPTV so don't seem as advanced as Sky Glass, just business as usual.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 14:33   #413
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Betteridge’s Law of Headlines…

Quote:
"Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.
As Andrew Marr said
Quote:
If the headline asks a question, try answering 'no'. Is This the True Face of Britain's Young? (Sensible reader: No.) Have We Found the Cure for AIDS? (No; or you wouldn't have put the question mark in.) Does This Map Provide the Key for Peace? (Probably not.) A headline with a question mark at the end means, in the vast majority of cases, that the story is tendentious or over-sold. It is often a scare story, or an attempt to elevate some run-of-the-mill piece of reporting into a national controversy and, preferably, a national panic. To a busy journalist hunting for real information a question mark means 'don't bother reading this bit'
H’mmm…more research required?

http://www.climate.gov/news-features...global-warming
Old 01-11-2021, 15:11   #414
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
For £550 you can get a Hisense 65 inch with Prime Netflix and Freeview play and for £30 add an android box if you want one. Both Sky Glass and Amazon Omni can easily be beat on price and Hisense make great TVs
Well I have no idea about Hisense TV's but I can definitely agree with the rest of this.
I have two Android TV boxes, primarily used to watch all my downloaded episodes (via Kodi) but both also have Amazon Prime and Netflix set up on them (one daughter has Prime, another has Netflix). No need for expensive dedicated TVs.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 17:56   #415
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
However, Hugh's quote said vast majority of headline questions could be answered with a no, not every one.
Old 01-11-2021, 19:19   #416
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
However, Hugh's quote said vast majority of headline questions could be answered with a no, not every one.
Don’t tempt me!
Old 01-11-2021, 19:22   #417
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Don’t tempt me!
Old 02-11-2021, 13:19   #418
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:

With the exception of Sky Glass and it’s Playlist feature and that’s got lots of issues currently I’m yet to come across any device that allows you to add watchlists across the streaming devices although I’m happy to be corrected.
Old 02-11-2021, 13:30   #419
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
With the exception of Sky Glass and it’s Playlist feature and that’s got lots of issues currently I’m yet to come across any device that allows you to add watchlists across the streaming devices although I’m happy to be corrected.
you ever heard of Trakt

TBH this would only help if you steered away from regular options and went down the android box route
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 13:49   #420
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Well, the TiVo enables you to do this across live TV channels, Netflix, Prime and StarzPlay, and what I am looking for is a means of accomplishing this from a provider such as Amazon.

Once this happens, I will be looking to ditch VM TV.