Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Long shot question RE cab fixes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Long shot question RE cab fixes

Old 05-02-2021, 18:29   #1
ash45
cf.member

Services: Gig1
ash45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Long shot question RE cab fixes

This is a long shot but someone who works for them may know the answer

someone left the VM cabinet open that serves my house and about 11.30PM Wednesday night my broadband went off and when ive walked past the cab going to the shop some scrote has decided to pull all the fibre cables out that goto the properties (FTTP area),

i rung VM up to tell them it the BB was out (b4 id seen inside the cab) and they just said they know of an outage in the area and it will be 24-72 hours for someone to investigate.

Ive not seen anyone as of yet go look and the cabs still open but does anyone know if this is an easy or hard fix and roughly how long it will take to be back online?.

currently using tethering but the signal isnt the best here and going from 500meg down to 1-3 is pretty shocking to the system lol (1st world problems i know)

not the best pic as it was night time but this is what it looks like inside

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12__rDGKOJqWhpt4sSorkvz9dzj2jf1YU/view

Part of me wants to go plug the cables back in (the cables seem to have labels with addresses on so i know which ones mine) see if it works again but i wouldn't have a clue if they have to go into a specific port and could end up causing more problems and delays so im being good and not touching what's not mine to touch haha

Thanks in advance Ash

Last edited by ash45; 05-02-2021 at 18:40. Reason: added a comment
ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2021, 18:33   #2
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: long shot question RE cab fixes

Shame it didn't have a 30,000 volt feed
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 18:36   #3
ash45
cf.member

Re: long shot question RE cab fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Shame it didn't have a 30,000 volt feed
yes lol it is a shame, i said to my m8 hopefully karma has struck and who ever did it got home to no broadband because i can bet who ever has done it hasn't got a clue what it actually is and just mindlessly likes to vandalise things but we all know people like that never seem to get their karma lol
Old 05-02-2021, 19:45   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Long shot question RE cab fixes

Words should be had with whoever left it open as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 20:25   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Looks like the connectors have been pulled off, not a easy fix, will require multiple reblows. A regular tech won't be able to do that either, you should get an appointment booked ASAP.

An outage might not come through either as there are so few customers on that cab
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 21:03   #6
ash45
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Looks like the connectors have been pulled off, not a easy fix, will require multiple reblows. A regular tech won't be able to do that either, you should get an appointment booked ASAP.

An outage might not come through either as there are so few customers on that cab
im supposed to have one in the morning between 8-12 even if they cant do anything about it at least it might escalate things a bit quicker lol

i had a good nosy inside it and the cables (would the be called patch cables?) that have been pulled out only seem to be about a meter or so long wrapped round plastic and they connect between those green ports on the floor and the green panel at the top, one end seems to screw in the bottom ones and other end of the cables have little green clips on them into the top panel (well at least did have) so am hoping it will be just a case of replacing those cables and not any major ones in the floor or anything guess ill know a bit more tomorrow lol

Thanks for the reply

Last edited by ash45; 05-02-2021 at 21:05. Reason: changed sentence