Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:09   #2086
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
One disappointing thing is that people are still buying Phorm shares. Someone bought 1208 shares at 10:31am this morning. Maybe Phorm staff/directors trying to shore up the shares?
Where are you seeing that? I am only seeing 3 trades so far today, one at 08:05 a 208 hare "sell"; one at 08:17 a 500 share "buy" and one at 10:31 a 500 share sell. The total comes to 1208 but over 50% of that was from the 2 dumps.

Alexander Hanff
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2008, 12:41   #2087
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Posted on virginmedia.feedback earlier this morning

turbo wrote:
Just announced on BBC24 news ( 10.23am) that the information Commissioner has declared BT's testing of Phorm with customer data is a clear case of intercepting data , and further action is being taken...

Is anyone able to confirm this.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:47   #2088
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Where are you seeing that? I am only seeing 3 trades so far today, one at 08:05 a 208 hare "sell"; one at 08:17 a 500 share "buy" and one at 10:31 a 500 share sell. The total comes to 1208 but over 50% of that was from the 2 dumps.

Alexander Hanff
Mea Culpa. I made a mistake. You are right Alexander.

That zoiezoie is really getting on my nerves on the iii comments board. Anyone think I am out of line with the posts I have made to that board as Stazi Phormistan?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:47   #2089
bliss
Inactive

bliss is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone just see channel 4 news? They were grilling a BT spokesperson over PHORM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:53   #2090
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt88man View Post

turbo wrote:
Just announced on BBC24 news ( 10.23am) that the information Commissioner has declared BT's testing of Phorm with customer data is a clear case of intercepting data , and further action is being taken...

Not on BBC web site a lot of hot air / I think / he thinks but nothing that firm
Old 03-04-2008, 13:00   #2091
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Not on BBC web site a lot of hot air / I think / he thinks but nothing that firm
Cheers - I couldn't find anything either.
Old 03-04-2008, 13:00   #2092
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I am desperately trying to confirm this from another source but I can't find anything yet and nothing on ICO web site either. BUT if it is true this is a MAJOR piece of news. If ICO declare it is an unlawful interception then surely criminal charges -must- follow as there is no provision under the law for this to be diverted through litigation. There is an option under the guidelines for RIPA to litigate in addition to criminal charges but not instead of.

I hope we find some confirmation soon.

Alexander Hanff
Old 03-04-2008, 13:01   #2093
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt88man View Post

turbo wrote:

I saw the item on news24. I need to correct something.

The IC has NOT said that BT's testing of a new advertising protocol was illegal, a privacy expert said that, what the report went on to say was that the IC are now investigating.

Worth noting too that the report NEVER mentioned Phorm by name. The news piece was done by Julia Caesar.
Old 03-04-2008, 13:07   #2094
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
I saw the item on news24. I need to correct something.

The IC has NOT said that BT's testing of a new advertising protocol was illegal, a privacy expert said that, what the report went on to say was that the IC are now investigating.

Worth noting too that the report NEVER mentioned Phorm by name. The news piece was done by Julia Caesar.
The IC doesn't need to state it was illegal, all the IC needs to confirm is whether or not there was an interception. If there was then this would logically have to go before a Judge (and Jury) in order for a judgement of guilt (and thus illegality). So if the IC has stated this was an interception as the News24 headline suggest, then it is a very significant headline.

Alexander Hanff
Old 03-04-2008, 13:09   #2095
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

for anyone that preferes to use a 3rd party player such as VLC directly on your other OS heres a working direct mms URL
mms://wm-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/news/media_acl/mps/fix/news/business/video/163000/bb/163377_16x9_bb.wmv

lol, you were spying on your customers......
mms://wm-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/news/media_acl/mps/fix/news/business/video/163000/bb/163376_16x9_bb.wmv

from Elreg "
Bootnote

Friends tell us BT will get a grilling on Channel 4 News today."
so keep your eyes open

cant find the clips if they exist yet?

Concerns over data pimping deal
Last Modified: 04 Mar 2008
By: Channel 4 News

http://www.channel4.com/news/article...g+deal/1703547
Old 03-04-2008, 13:12   #2096
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
That zoiezoie is really getting on my nerves on the iii comments board. Anyone think I am out of line with the posts I have made to that board as Stazi Phormistan?
Oh Goddess forbid that people who didn't know anything about investing before now should start educating investors about the real issues surrounding Phorm! I often thought city types lived with their heads inserted up their posteriors - this goes a long way to confirming it.

Sadly I can't reply to her comments yet. Got to wait 48 hours until I'm approved The real world is impacting on zoiezoie's little dream world and she's going to scream and scream and scream until she's sick!
Old 03-04-2008, 13:13   #2097
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have just submitted a question to 'Question Time' have your say.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ay/default.stm

I assume the main issues are decided beforehand but if a few more peeps on here submit questions relating to this issue it may elevate it somewhat.
The more mainstream publicity the better.
Old 03-04-2008, 13:16   #2098
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7325451.stm

The BBC now have it on their website.
Old 03-04-2008, 13:16   #2099
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
The IC doesn't need to state it was illegal, all the IC needs to confirm is whether or not there was an interception. If there was then this would logically have to go before a Judge (and Jury) in order for a judgement of guilt (and thus illegality). So if the IC has stated this was an interception as the News24 headline suggest, then it is a very significant headline.

Alexander Hanff
Alexander, my point was to correct a factual inaccuracy in the news report that was quoted by the poster, I am not passing my opinion on the outcome of any investigation that the IC will make.
Old 03-04-2008, 13:25   #2100
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

OK, I just got off the phone with Catie MacDonald from the ICO press office and the findings are frankly shocking.

Apparently ICO are -not- investigating Phorm at all, they are reviewing documents they asked Phorm to send them but it was reiterated over and over again that there is definitely no official investigation by ICO with regards to Phorm.

Furthermore, there is no investigation with regards the BT secret trials of 2006 and 2007 in any capacity whatsoever.

I asked why ICO are not investigating the BT and it was just reiterated that the only thing regarding the Phorm technology that ICO are doing is reviewing documents requested from Phorm.

I just had a call back from ICO and was told that RIPA is nothing to do with ICO and falls under the umbrella of the Home Office.

This is shocking news given the reports in the press over the past month claiming ICO are investigating. They were not very happy to talk to me at ICO either and stated I was not permitted to quote them and would not even give me a name until I first gave them my name, address and phone number. This was despite me explaining that I am a student at University studying privacy issues as part of my Sociology major (which I can prove with half a dozen academic papers I have written over the past 15 months on privacy issues).

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread