Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media DNS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media DNS

Old 24-04-2019, 10:15   #16
kev445
cf.member

kev445 is on a distinguished roadkev445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media DNS

The only downside I can think of, by not using Virgin’s DNS, is that you will bypass their CDN network.
kev445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2019, 11:36   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev445 View Post
you will bypass their CDN network.
Which isnt the best anyway. I remember back in 2010 there were massive long term issues with youtube. You have got to remember that companies like VM are solely concerned with £££, everything is done on the cheap and you can always get better.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 21:51   #18
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Which isnt the best anyway. I remember back in 2010 there were massive long term issues with youtube. You have got to remember that companies like VM are solely concerned with £££, everything is done on the cheap and you can always get better.
While I don't disagree, I don't think they're still having issues with their in-network CDN caches.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 09:06   #19
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Can't say i've had issues with youtube / Netflix for years, I also haven't used Virgin's DNS for years but i dont think that stops you using their caching anyway?...
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 20:47   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

it doesn't per se but without the dns servers pointing you to that address you would have to know what the ip address is and do some tinkering to force your device to use them over the ones google directs you to.
Old 25-04-2019, 21:11   #21
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Google's CDN isn't at all shabby. I'd trust it to perform better than VM's.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 21:23   #22
General Maximus
Ran Away

Exactly, that is why i dont understand why people are so content with vm' carp. It doesnt matter whether we talk about the shub, dns, cdn, wifi apps etc, everything they put their hand to is half a job and shit.
Old 25-04-2019, 22:33   #23
paul0363
cf.member

paul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nice

Quote:
it doesn't per se but without the dns servers pointing you to that address you would have to know what the ip address is and do some tinkering to force your device to use them over the ones google directs you to.
Not necessarily since Google (and OpenDNS) implemented this.
paul0363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 23:40   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

And you think VM are a participant? I don't think so. The whole point of them having a CDN is to benefit them in terms of cost or potentially provide a richer experience for their customer base. They aren't interested in serving non-paying non-VM customers.

I think you have misunderstood how the technology works.
Old 30-04-2019, 18:56   #25
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
And you think VM are a participant? I don't think so. The whole point of them having a CDN is to benefit them in terms of cost or potentially provide a richer experience for their customer base. They aren't interested in serving non-paying non-VM customers.

I think you have misunderstood how the technology works.
Sorry Max, I think it's you that's misunderstood this tech.

The way CDN's work is by having the content you need as close to you as possible. This means having data centres all around the world. This also means placing servers inside a network if you can, for best results. When we say "Virgin's CDN servers", we don't mean servers owned by Virgin, we mean servers owned by the respective CDN provider (A top-tier like Akamai or Cloudflare, or directly from the likes of Netflix and Google/Youtube) that have peered inside Virgin's network (And others).

It's win/win for everyone here - the CDN providers provide a better service (Which means you, the consumer, get a better service - something you'll care about when visiting sites such as youtube) and the ISP requires less egress (Bandwidth outside of their network).

The problem is, how do you know which of those data centres is (geographically) close to you? How do you know if your ISP has a cache inside its network? That's where DNS comes into it and typically, your ISP's DNS will point you to their own peered CDN if they can.

A few years ago, the likes of Google DNS had no way of really knowing where, geographically, you were. This means that when you use those DNS servers instead of Virgin's, you might get routed to a CDN cache that's actually much further away - which means more latency, which also means more bandwidth outside your local node (Which means potential for hitting more congestion). The article above specifically details with how they "fix" this problem so that even if you're using a 3rd party DNS server, you've got a better chance of getting the "right" CDN cache.

It has nothing to do with Virgin offering out their own caches to 3rd parties or anything like that. That's not even possible.
Old 30-04-2019, 19:08   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

Okay i misunderstood the detail. So you are saying that when peeps like ourselves with proper routers use google's dns servers google will know that we are VM customers and point us to the cdn on VM's network?
Old 30-04-2019, 19:29   #27
SimonB79
Inactive

SimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Virgin Media DNS

Quote:
Okay i misunderstood the detail. So you are saying that when peeps like ourselves with proper routers use google's dns servers google will know that we are VM customers and point us to the cdn on VM's network?
I love abit Cloudflare myself!!!! 👍 works wonders on both my Virgin & Vodafone connections! 🤓
SimonB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 22:51   #28
paul0363
cf.member

paul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nice

Quote:
Essentially, yes!
paul0363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 23:31   #29
Kushan

Quote:
Yup, assuming they've configured things correctly! It's a relatively recent change though (Past few years) but as long as you're getting great streaming performance, that's all that matters.
Old 16-05-2019, 01:46   #30
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Test of the DNS Servers... on this test, the best performers were:
1. Superhub 2 providing near zero cached response time
2. VM Primary, better uncached then the SH2, VM Secondary pretty good too
3. Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 - ABSOLUTE BEST for DOTCOM test, best of the rest for uncached.
I guess my best maximum config would be the SH2 as primary, and 1.1.1.1 as backup, though unless the underlying VM DNS is having a bad day, there's not much wrong with the bonus local cache of the SH2 - unless you dislike NXdomain trapping. Cloudflare does not trap, but according to the scan neither does OpenDNS - ah, they used to trap but now they don't.

Matth is offline   Reply With Quote