Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | not exactly networking but?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

not exactly networking but?

Old 27-07-2007, 10:37   #1
jojo3972
Inactive

jojo3972 is an unknown quantity at this point
not exactly networking but?

im getting virgin in next week and just wanted to know if i could just plug my boyfriends xbox wire into the back of the modem so he can play online and is it as simple as that just plug in and away u go the modem will let him connect, i am going to need a router at sum point but i have got bt home hub payed up till september so im gonna use that for my wireless laptop and other xbox untill then and just use virgin for main pc and wired xbox thnx in advvance jojoxx
jojo3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2007, 10:43   #2
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: not exactly networking but?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo3972 View Post
im getting virgin in next week and just wanted to know if i could just plug my boyfriends xbox wire into the back of the modem so he can play online and is it as simple as that just plug in and away u go the modem will let him connect, i am going to need a router at sum point but i have got bt home hub payed up till september so im gonna use that for my wireless laptop and other xbox untill then and just use virgin for main pc and wired xbox thnx in advvance jojoxx
That will work fine, remember you will need to register the modem first so you will need to use a PC, then power off the modem and then connect the xbox and then power back on.

each time you want to swap between the PC and the xbox you will need to power the modem off and then back on
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 11:05   #3
jojo3972
Inactive

so can i not use the pc and xbox at the same time then cos thats no good lol cos i use pc while he uses xbox if thats the case il have to get router now lol i cant do without my pc thnx for reply tho jojox
Old 27-07-2007, 11:39   #4
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo3972 View Post
so can i not use the pc and xbox at the same time then cos thats no good lol cos i use pc while he uses xbox if thats the case il have to get router now lol i cant do without my pc thnx for reply tho jojox
The cable modem has only one ethernet connection at the back so if you want to use more than one device at the same time yes you will need a router.

They are cheap enough now, around £35 will get a decent one
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 15:11   #5
jojo3972
Inactive

hmmm ok thnx will grab a router b4 wed then thnx for all ur advice jojox
Old 27-07-2007, 15:16   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

If you get your Virgin Broadband via cable, make sure you buy a cable broadband router and not an ADSL as it will not work otherwise.

Amazon often have some good prices on routers.
I'd recommend the linksys ones.
You will not need a wireless router if you are close by and want to connect the devices by ethernet network cable. A standard cable broadband router will be fine.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 21:00   #7
ClockworK
Inactive

ClockworK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JoJO
I did exactly what you want to do. I had VM installed on saturday and asked a few questionson here about connecting Xbox & PC etc. I bought the Lynksys router, wrt54gs-uk, from PCworld, A tip for you, if you buy from PCworld choose the item online and use the "collect@store" option, I saved about £20 doing it that way ! So I connected PC to VM modem and registered online, really easy took about 5-10 mins, then turned PC and modem off. Then connected Xbox360 to router and PC to router, turned em back on and within about 5-10 mins I was online and LIVE ! So very easy.
Cheers
Vance
ClockworK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 12:33   #8
jojo3972
Inactive

thnx for that advice about getting router online at pc i like to save pennies lol i was going to get that linksys one as have looked round this forum and found that 1 to b the best, i already have the router to work with bt the linksys one b4 i got the bt home hub and it was fab never had a problem relay only wen kids pressed the reset button and linksys advice line showed me how to do it no probs, they have quite a good help line do linksys even tho they are indian or summet very helpfull, altho wen i first installed it months ago it wasnt as easy as it said lol hope this time like urs clock it only takes 10 mins or so fingers crossed il get bk next week wen i have done it i hope lol thnx everyone jojox