Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Securing wireless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Securing wireless

Old 25-07-2007, 22:32   #1
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Question Securing wireless

Having read the guides I've noticed that using wireless security WPA or WEP seems to cause some slowdown on the connection. Im wondering if using MAC filtering would be a more effective way ? in conjunction with hiding the SSID ??
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2007, 23:34   #2
prince_zeepress
Inactive

prince_zeepress is on a distinguished roadprince_zeepress is on a distinguished road
Re: Securing wireless

MAC filtering would certainly prevent unauthorised connections. However the connection would still be unencrypted so traffic could be potentially intercepted.
prince_zeepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 23:45   #3
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_zeepress View Post
MAC filtering would certainly prevent unauthorised connections. However the connection would still be unencrypted so traffic could be potentially intercepted.
That was my thinking, that with hiding the SSID and MAC filtering would negate the requirement for WEP/WPA encryption and therefore potentially help to increase the wireless throughput
Old 25-07-2007, 23:56   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
That was my thinking, that with hiding the SSID and MAC filtering would negate the requirement for WEP/WPA encryption and therefore potentially help to increase the wireless throughput
How much throughput do you want (and what do you want if for)? Wireless (@ 54 Mb/s ideally) is still considerable faster than your internet connection, so disabling WEP/WPA won't speed up your browsing/downloads. If you're interested in moving large files over your network swiftly you would gain much more by ditching wireless altogether and going with old-fashioned Cat-5.
Old 26-07-2007, 00:07   #5
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
How much throughput do you want (and what do you want if for)? Wireless (@ 54 Mb/s ideally) is still considerable faster than your internet connection, so disabling WEP/WPA won't speed up your browsing/downloads. If you're interested in moving large files over your network swiftly you would gain much more by ditching wireless altogether and going with old-fashioned Cat-5.
Due to the added data parsed with encryption if your network connection is 20mb EVEN if you have 54mbps wireless you WILL lose capacity anywhere between 1-3mbps

Cisco have a paper on it somewhere, I'll dig it up, i was reading up on it for some stuff at work
Old 26-07-2007, 00:18   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Personally,I wouldn't compromise my security for a few mbs (relative to 20) though. But I'm on a 4 meg connection (and a very light downloader), so there's not that much flowing through my network anyway.
Old 26-07-2007, 00:22   #7
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Personally,I wouldn't compromise my security for a few mbs (relative to 20) though. But I'm on a 4 meg connection (and a very light downloader), so there's not that much flowing through my network anyway.
I think its me being a perfectionist if im paying for 20mb i want as much of it as i can get
Old 26-07-2007, 00:26   #8
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I think its me being a perfectionist if im paying for 20mb i want as much of it as i can get
In that case, do remember to turn security back on once traffic shaping kicks in