Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Would a router be a benefit to me??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Would a router be a benefit to me??

Old 13-05-2019, 16:44   #1
jalzoo
cf.addict

Services: 300mb Homeworks+ SH3
jalzoo has a spectacular aura about themjalzoo has a spectacular aura about themjalzoo has a spectacular aura about themjalzoo has a spectacular aura about them
Would a router be a benefit to me??

Hello,

I'm back with virgin again after a year with being with a vdsl2 provider. Couldn't deal with 80mb when for the same price i could get 350. Anyway!, I'm in two minds on if i should get a router or just stick with superhub in router mode. At the moment i'm using the SH3 in router mode and quite frankly my connection and wifi have been superb. I'm just wondering as most of my hardware is hard wired will getting a 'gaming' router be of any gain to me if i only use hard wired?. I don't want to blow £300 for a router if the only thing im going to gain is faster wifi and other than phones the kids are the only ones that use wifi to watch there kids programmes and youtube.

If i do get a router i was thinking of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Arc...gateway&sr=8-7
jalzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2019, 17:27   #2
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road
Re: Would a router be a benefit to me??

Doesn't sound like it will be. The main gain will be wifi.

Why does that product have a description for a pedometer?
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 17:57   #3
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

17 per cent of the reviews for this product are 1 or 2 star, some specifically mentioning VM Superhub 3
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 18:05   #4
jalzoo
cf.addict

jalzoo has a spectacular aura about themjalzoo has a spectacular aura about themjalzoo has a spectacular aura about themjalzoo has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86 View Post
Doesn't sound like it will be. The main gain will be wifi.

Why does that product have a description for a pedometer?
LOL didn't notice that
Old 14-05-2019, 11:20   #5
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Reviews cover all devices on the page, can be hard to figure out which reviews to which device sometimes.
Old 14-05-2019, 16:04   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalzoo View Post
my connection and wifi have been superb
Quote:
should get a router or just stick with superhub in router mode.
This is the first time I have ever said this but you should stick with the shub in router mode. Pretty much any third party router you get is going to be better than the shub but in order to benefit from it you actually have to have a reason to need it. Apart from better wifi performance which you don't need (and you linked to a triband router ) there are other benefits such as usb ports for hosting networked storage, remote storage access and network printers.

If finances permit I would always recommend to anyone that they invest in their own router because if you use the internet a lot you are investing in quality and performance on one of the most important pieces of equipment in your house. That being said, you don't need to spend £300 on a router, I have got the one below and it is fantastic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC6...s%2C141&sr=8-3

I cannot stress enough that is you think there is even an inkling that you think your wifi use is going to increase in the future by way of wireless printers, tablets, laptops etc I would highly recommend spending the extra £40 and going for the twin pack for AI Mesh.

In the short term an immediate and significant benefit for you if you did get your own router is being able to set your own DNS servers; it is a god send.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 21:21   #7
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
This is the first time I have ever said this but you should stick with the shub in router mode. Pretty much any third party router you get is going to be better than the shub but in order to benefit from it you actually have to have a reason to need it. Apart from better wifi performance which you don't need (and you linked to a triband router ) there are other benefits such as usb ports for hosting networked storage, remote storage access and network printers.

If finances permit I would always recommend to anyone that they invest in their own router because if you use the internet a lot you are investing in quality and performance on one of the most important pieces of equipment in your house. That being said, you don't need to spend £300 on a router, I have got the one below and it is fantastic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC6...s%2C141&sr=8-3

I cannot stress enough that is you think there is even an inkling that you think your wifi use is going to increase in the future by way of wireless printers, tablets, laptops etc I would highly recommend spending the extra £40 and going for the twin pack for AI Mesh.

In the short term an immediate and significant benefit for you if you did get your own router is being able to set your own DNS servers; it is a god send.
AI Mesh is fine if you don't mind wasting most of the router resources of the 2nd of your pair of AI Mesh routers. I did try adding an additional RT-AC86U to my existing RT-AC88U. Converting it to AI mesh mode disabled so many of the features you would want to have in an excellent second router. If boosting WiFi signal / quality is the priority why not add a really cheap router to act as an access point to supplement the SHub?

Last edited by roughbeast; 14-05-2019 at 21:45.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 21:40   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
why not add a really cheap router to act as an access point to supplement the SHub?
You can still do that if you got the twin pack. You are getting the second router for £40 and you can put it in access point mode.
Old 14-05-2019, 22:22   #9
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
You can still do that if you got the twin pack. You are getting the second router for £40 and you can put it in access point mode.

I know the cost makes sense when you buy a pair, but to see all those other router features, such as media streaming using the USB 3, go to waste, does my head in. In my case the RT-AC86U was an addition to what I already had. That's an extra £200ish.

What I would like to see is an Aimesh kit with one powerful versatile router coupled with much cheaper dedicated Aimesh routers, with very few of those common router features that are only going to go to waste.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 11:00   #10
jalzoo
cf.addict

Didn't realise my Netgear D7000 was compatible with cable as it has a built in VDSL modem!!, However it is!. Hooked everything up last night and my ring doorbell is getting a much better signal now lol. Apart from that no difference really a bit more range and faster wifi speeds.
Thanks for your replies guys.
Old 15-05-2019, 17:41   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Didn't realise my Netgear D7000 was compatible with cable as it has a built in VDSL modem!!.
It is just like the shub, a combi modem/router.
Old 18-05-2019, 17:02   #12
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I know the cost makes sense when you buy a pair, but to see all those other router features, such as media streaming using the USB 3, go to waste, does my head in. In my case the RT-AC86U was an addition to what I already had. That's an extra £200ish.

What I would like to see is an Aimesh kit with one powerful versatile router coupled with much cheaper dedicated Aimesh routers, with very few of those common router features that are only going to go to waste.
I mean, you can mix and match the various Asus routers so it's not so bad but I understand where you're coming from. The sad part is that even if such a "basic" AIMesh AP existed, it would probably have the same internals anyway.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 18:40   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I bought a Netgear Nighthak X6 triband router.

I can control it form my phone anywhere in the world (with a data connection)

I also plugged into it a Fingbox this will block any new device until I grant access vai the email it sends me.

I can doo loads of stuff the the SH3 won't allow me.

But I have the funds to buy what I want, and accept thet other don't