Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media DNS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media DNS

Old 11-04-2019, 16:25   #1
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Services: Amazon Prime Video Netflix Discovery+ apple Tv and xbox
KillerCroc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media DNS

hey guys im using the virgin media public dns for gaming on the ps4 and pc but the ping is still pretty low same with google and cloudflare i was wondering if virgin have and dns servers just for gaming and if not what are your recomendations
KillerCroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2019, 16:55   #2
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media DNS

DNS won't make any difference for gaming - Only web browsing. Latency isn't affected by DNS server settings.

How high is the latency you're seeing out to Google (8.8.8.8), for example?

Regardless, it certainly won't hurt to set the WAN DNS on your router to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8.
Virgin servers aren't that fantastic.

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 17:01   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
Regardless, it certainly won't hurt to set the WAN DNS on your router to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8.
It might do if you have a V6 box. Some functions of the V6, such as Netflix, rely on you using the VM DNS servers.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 17:13   #4
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It might do if you have a V6 box. Some functions of the V6, such as Netflix, rely on you using the VM DNS servers.
Seems fine on my V6 setup

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 17:32   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Depends where you set it I guess. Setting DNS on a specific device won't affect it.

Set it in a 3rd party router so all devices pick it up automatically and you could. All depends what the V6 looks at at the time and for what reason.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:35   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCroc1 View Post
hey guys im using the virgin media public dns for gaming on the ps4 and pc but the ping is still pretty low same with google and cloudflare i was wondering if virgin have and dns servers just for gaming and if not what are your recomendations
you should never use VM's dns if you don't have to. You pay for the privilege of being able to use a proper router for a reason!
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 18:38   #7
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Depends where you set it I guess. Setting DNS on a specific device won't affect it.

Set it in a 3rd party router so all devices pick it up automatically and you could. All depends what the V6 looks at at the time and for what reason.
From what little I've used Netflix on this box, it's not worth it anyway. Dedicated netflix app or even casting is better.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 19:00   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

What issues have you had? For me it's exactly the same as on my Smart TV, so I tend to use them interchangeably depending on which remote I'm using.
Old 13-04-2019, 13:07   #9
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
No they don’t - certainly not Netflix.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 16:06   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
No they don’t - certainly not Netflix.
Yes they do. The Netflix keys are obtained via a host address that only exists in the VM servers. If you have V6 Netlflix working with a different DNS server, the box must have picked up the keys before the DNS was changed.

Here's an example of the problem:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...3373471/page/3

There are also other functions of the V6 that depend on the VM DNS.
Old 13-04-2019, 19:17   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

well that is just **** and one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard of. They are just causing themselves more problems.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 20:37   #12
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yes they do. The Netflix keys are obtained via a host address that only exists in the VM servers. If you have V6 Netlflix working with a different DNS server, the box must have picked up the keys before the DNS was changed.

Here's an example of the problem:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...3373471/page/3

There are also other functions of the V6 that depend on the VM DNS.
May I check on something? Is Netflix via V6 delivered over the Coax or over the Ethernet link? If the former, then I'd have to give way on this; if the latter, then I'm right because my router's DNS has never been VMB's.

Old 13-04-2019, 21:32   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
well that is just **** and one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard of. They are just causing themselves more problems.
I agree. It's done for commonality with other Liberty Global countries, but it's very poor system design IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
May I check on something? Is Netflix via V6 delivered over the Coax or over the Ethernet link? If the former, then I'd have to give way on this; if the latter, then I'm right because my router's DNS has never been VMB's.
It is delivered through the broadband. If you are right that you have never been on VM DNS, I can't explain why it is working. (Feel free to PM me your V6 serial number if you want me to investigate)
Old 13-04-2019, 21:56   #14
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
I agree. It's done for commonality with other Liberty Global countries, but it's very poor system design IMO.

It is delivered through the broadband. If you are right that you have never been on VM DNS, I can't explain why it is working. (Feel free to PM me your V6 serial number if you want me to investigate)
A year ago the V6 was installed onto my existing LAN which has always used Google DNS. Thanks for the offer, it's not of great importance in the scheme of things even though I'm technically inquisitive.

Old 15-04-2019, 15:34   #15
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Services: Amazon Prime Video Netflix Discovery+ apple Tv and xbox
KillerCroc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the response its not virgin but its the servers that playstation (sony ) own they are just crap
KillerCroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote