Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Desperate... Random disconnection.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Desperate... Random disconnection.

Old 29-07-2007, 14:45   #1
wbafanclub
Inactive

wbafanclub is an unknown quantity at this point
Desperate... Random disconnection.

Hi all.

I have been with telewest(virgin) for a long time now, having broadband from the beginning. The problem started when I decided that I wanted to go wireless with a pc and a laptop and a wireless router connected to the modem. I cannot remember the first router that I used but I kept having random disconnections. It might take a few days but it would disconnect. Back then all I could do was reset the router and modem and start again, for someone with little experience quite a chore. However five different routers down the line I am now quite an expert at doing this. I also downloaded network magic recently which I thought would stop the problem. I was wrong. I have a dynamic ip address and it works perfectly until it disconnects. A lot of people seem to have the same or similar problem but some people seem to run perfectly . The fact virgin have stopped supporting routers make me think that it is a problem that cannot be fixed but if anybody has any ideas I would so much appreciate it.
wbafanclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2007, 14:57   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Desperate... Random disconnection.

to Cable Forum

What router are you using, what speed of Virgin Media service do you have, and what sort of applications have you got running?

Virgin have not stopped supporting routers, they never started supporting them, as in offering help in their setup. They've always been allowed, it's just VM won't talk about them as they throw so many extra permutations into the connection setup that it's too much for their call centre staff.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 15:04   #3
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: Desperate... Random disconnection.

First thing you need to do is change the wireless channel you are using, you may be on the same channel as one of your neighbours.

Also do you have a wireless videosender or anything that uses bluetooth. If you have, do the dissconnections hapen when you using either of these(a microwave oven may also be the cause, but much less likely).
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote