Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV Hub - SD/HD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tuning a New Remote Control

Old 13-08-2020, 16:51   #1
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough
Tuning a New Remote Control

I have a Goodmans TV model LD1971D and a Virgin Media Tivo box.

After working perfectly for years, my remote control developed a fault. I phoned 150 and in a few minutes the agent very kindly dispatched a new one. It arrived within 4 days, a brand new white one.

However, after many tries I simply cannot get it to tune in to my Goodmans TV.
Everything works except the Mute and Volume. I hit 5-6 codes which switched off my TV, but none of these tuned in the Volume and Mute. The search eventually stopped when I ran out of the data base content.

Can anybody offer a solution as to how I can tune in this new set ?

I followed this procedure -

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

When I first got my Tivo box some 10 years ago, I put a thread on here and mentioned that the remote control would not tune into my Goodmans TV.
A Virgin Media employee and a Forum member on here immediately recognised the problem and asked "Is it a black logo handset ?" I said YES - he instantly knew that would not work and dispatched me a white logo handset. It tuned in immediately and has been working OK ever since until now.

Why there should be a difference between black and white logo handsets is beyond my comprehension.
Different suppliers ? Even so, the data base should be the same for all. But it obviously was not and could be my problem now.

Last edited by beaker17; 13-08-2020 at 16:56.
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2020, 18:26   #2
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Tuning a New Remote Control

Hi beaker17. Just had a quick delve into the CF archives and found an old thread that said the remote codes for a Goodmans TV were :_

Quote:
The codes for goodmans are
0335 0064 0100 0285 0037 0292 0544 0207 0318 0363 0399 0402 0515 0527 0392
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/arch...p/t-39600.html

Fingers crossed. 999 numbers to check must have been very hard going.
Old 13-08-2020, 19:35   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
When I first got my Tivo box some 10 years ago, I put a thread on here and mentioned that the remote control would not tune into my Goodmans TV.
A Virgin Media employee and a Forum member on here immediately recognised the problem and asked "Is it a black logo handset ?" I said YES - he instantly knew that would not work and dispatched me a white logo handset. It tuned in immediately and has been working OK ever since until now.
I wonder who that was?

Quote:
Why there should be a difference between black and white logo handsets is beyond my comprehension.
Different suppliers ? Even so, the data base should be the same for all. But it obviously was not and could be my problem now.
Yes, they were different suppliers. Each manufacturer has their own database. Unfortunately it's going to be hard to repeat the trick. Those white logo remotes are long gone.

Try the remote control programming app in the Help section on your TiVo. There's a chance it will know a code for your TV.

Another possibility is that a V6 remote might have a code for it, if you can source one.

Or buy a One For All remote? (Other generic remotes are available)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 20:10   #4
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Hi beaker17. Just had a quick delve into the CF archives and found an old thread that said the remote codes for a Goodmans TV were :_

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/arch...p/t-39600.html

Fingers crossed. 999 numbers to check must have been very hard going.
Thank you so much.
I tried all those codes with no luck. I also went through the Help procedure on Tivo and none of the codes matched - run out when the handset light flashed red.

I entered the old code that my existing handset originally accepted years ago and has worked OK ever since - 1720.
The new handset would not accept it ! The operating code 1720 is NOT on its data base.
Verdict - the new handset is not suitable for my Goodmans TV.
Do I tell Virgin it will not program ?

Last edited by beaker17; 13-08-2020 at 20:39.
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 20:52   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thank you so much.
I tried all those codes with no luck. I also went through the Help procedure on Tivo and none of the codes matched - run out when the handset light flashed red.

I entered the old code that my existing handset originally accepted years ago and has worked OK ever since - 1720.
The new handset would not accept it ! The operating code 1720 is NOT on its data base.
Verdict - the new handset is not suitable for my Goodmans TV.
Do I tell Virgin it will not program ?
How about this, white logo as well. Remote
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 21:09   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Try doing channel down instead on step 4
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 22:07   #7
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Try doing channel down instead on step 4
I did both channel up and channel down with no luck - reached end of data base each time - handset flashed red.

This new handset does not have the correct code included in its data base.
Old 14-08-2020, 12:41   #8
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Answer -

Virgin's Goodmans code list -

Universal Goodmans code list -

They are different ! My code 1720 is included on the Universal list but NOT on the Virgin list.
Old 14-08-2020, 12:55   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

As already suggested buy the correct remote off eBay for £5ish if virgin can't provide one.