Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2019, 15:01   #5461
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That will change in time...
Like an MOT certificate only a reflection of reality on the day it was written.
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2019, 15:17   #5462
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Confirmation here that Netflix is still saying that they will not carry commercials.No sport, either.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...rt-commitment/
i was mildly impressed by amazons coverage of the tennis. One has to wonder though what the viewing figures are for some of the more obsecure matches. I assume about 100 people or so....surely its a loss provider then?
Old 24-06-2019, 15:44   #5463
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That will change in time...
Link...?
Old 24-06-2019, 15:57   #5464
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Link...?
https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...ually-show-ads

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/...r-netflix.aspx

https://www.emarketer.com/content/ne...ion-inevitable

https://medium.com/swlh/is-netflix-w...s-8e24b3f38454
Old 24-06-2019, 17:19   #5465
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Interesting, Den, thank you. I would certainly go along with the view of one of those commentators who said that there could be an ad-supported tier alongside its existing ad-free subscription service. Although that would enhance their revenues, Netflix themselves are saying they won’t do it. I will continue to believe them until they say otherwise, but of course if they are knocked sideways by new alternative streaming services, that could force a change of mind.

In the meantime, their subscriptions continue to increase worldwide, which is what they are banking on to make their economic model work.
Old 26-06-2019, 00:51   #5466
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

The streaming war (to be) continues:

https://seekingalpha.com/news/347377...streaming-2021

Widely expected but now official: NBCUniversal (NASDAQ:CMCSA) will be taking back popular sitcom The Office from Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) in 2021, when its contract ends, to bring the program to its upcoming streaming service.

The Office, which ran on NBC from 2005 to 2013, is reportedly Netflix's most-watched show.

It will get a five-year exclusive run on NBCU's new service when it arrives in a couple of years.

NBC's ad-supported streaming offering is set to launch in the first quarter next year. It's expected to be free for pay TV subscribers and cost about $10/month for cord-cutters.

After hours: Comcast +0.7%; Netflix +0.1%.

Updated 6:19 p.m.: Netflix makes an ad-related point in a tweet: "We're sad that NBC has decided to take The Office back for its own streaming platform — but members can binge watch the show to their hearts' content ad-free on Netflix until January 2021."
Old 26-06-2019, 11:07   #5467
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Which clearly shows how watched some of Netflix's third party content is , they paid $100 million a year for Friends and offered $90 million a year for The Office.
Old 26-06-2019, 13:40   #5468
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Which clearly shows how watched some of Netflix's third party content is , they paid $100 million a year for Friends and offered $90 million a year for The Office.
This is why I don't understand why so many people are so convinced that Britbox will fail.The popularity of archive material should not be underestimated.
Old 26-06-2019, 14:09   #5469
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
This is why I don't understand why so many people are so convinced that Britbox will fail.The popularity of archive material should not be underestimated.
UKTv and iPlayer availability for a year after broadcast would be my guess.
Old 26-06-2019, 14:17   #5470
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Whilst archive material is popular with some, I wonder how much they will be prepared to pay for it?
Old 26-06-2019, 15:00   #5471
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Archive material is great for pulling punters in, but there are limits to its appeal. When I first got Netflix I dug straight in to Star Trek; the kids love Friends and Fawlty Towers. But much of the archive material is stuff I wasn’t interested in when it was broadcast and I’m still not interested in it now. The only reason we’re still subscribing 2 years later is that they keep adding new material.
Old 26-06-2019, 15:26   #5472
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
UKTv and iPlayer availability for a year after broadcast would be my guess.
Britbox will carry much more, though, as well as new stuff.

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Whilst archive material is popular with some, I wonder how much they will be prepared to pay for it?
At about a fiver a month, it's hardly going to break the bank.

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Archive material is great for pulling punters in, but there are limits to its appeal. When I first got Netflix I dug straight in to Star Trek; the kids love Friends and Fawlty Towers. But much of the archive material is stuff I wasn’t interested in when it was broadcast and I’m still not interested in it now. The only reason we’re still subscribing 2 years later is that they keep adding new material.
I am completely with you on that.

About 20 years ago, I really enjoyed watching Star Trek - Deep Space Nine and Voyager, but now they just seem outdated and uninteresting. On the other hand, although Fawlty Towers has dated a bit, it's still funny. It's one of the few series that I've seen more than once, but I probably won't watch it again now, unless I put it on for the grandkids.

Like you, the value of Netflix for me is the originals, which are being added to every week.
Old 27-06-2019, 09:33   #5473
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Samsung has begun rolling out the promised Apple TV VOD app to its compatible smart TVs via a software update. It appeared in the list of recommended apps on my home screen yesterday.

I haven’t had a long look at it yet but I can’t see myself subscribing until there’s a large amount of bundled content. However I’m interested to see whether they offer more reasonable rental prices for films. Amazon Prime and Rakuten, which are both available through my TV, usually ask silly money for even quite old films a lot of the time, if they even offer rental at all - often it’s purchase only. If Apple are prepared to be a true online video library they’ll clean up.

Last edited by Chris; 27-06-2019 at 09:36.
Old 27-06-2019, 10:08   #5474
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Digital prices are generally aligned across providers most of the time. Doing a spot check last night all the films I've got on my 'To Watch' list cost the same on both Apple TV and Rakuten TV.

However where Apple is better than Rakuten is for the Digital to Buy films. They tend to come with iTunes extras that you can watch on iOS devices and on computers.

And some of the purchase prices aren't that far away from twice the rental price, so it's sometimes better value to buy than to rent. And unfortunately, I'd trust Apple or Amazon to be around longer than Rakuten for purchased content.
Old 27-06-2019, 13:44   #5475
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Well, I didn't see this coming!

https://advanced-television.com/2019...nels-join-my5/

Pluto TV channels join My5

Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN) has announced a content partnership between Channel 5’s VoD service My5 and Pluto TV in the UK, with the launch of Pluto TV Drama, Pluto TV Movies and Pluto TV Food channels on My5.
Closed Thread