Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 18:13   #7936
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
None of these look like particularly efficient mechanisms of recouping £4.5bn and making profit over and above that. I assume their calculators weren't working before they decided to not make a substantive bid for the rights in 2018.

Easy to give something away when you got the rights for peanuts.

The mistake is believing that Amazon are some kind of benign philanthropic organisation out there to give away free football, or that even if they were the UK would be their main target market and not the US, Germany or other major markets. Anyone spending £4.5bn on football rights is going to recoup the majority of that £4.5bn through selling a premium sports subscription.

Amazon already have 6.7m Prime subscribers - the low hanging fruit - and this number would need to be substantially driven up as a 'loss leader' to recoup the cost of the rights.
Exactly!

Amazon’s global content budget for 2020 is estimated to be $7 Billion... so they will then go and spend another $2 Billon or so per year on top? For one territory alone? And give it away in the Prime Subscription and bank on selling some merchandise as a way of recouping? Plus not forgetting that selling highlights and free to air matches would likely be for the EPL to sell and not Amazon?

I’ll never say never but let’s not be silly that somehow they would then give that kind of investment away on the possibility - the possibility - of an uptick of new Prime subs and a few football tops! 😂😂 You spend that kind of money on football because you intend to make it back!

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

Also worth reading this to get an idea about Amazon’s approach...

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...rts-media.aspx
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2020, 18:57   #7937
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

That’s an excellent read Phunk. Much higher quality than the usual blogs we get round here.
Old 11-08-2020, 19:43   #7938
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
You possibly can, but as you cannot record from NowTV it would be useless for my needs (and a lot of others I am sure)

Streaming getting involved in Sports Rights is bound to increase the cost to the user, as sky/BT will try to retain their shares whilst streamers will have to bid big to capture anything apart from low-hanging fruit.

In the medium term (say 10-15 years) customers will need to pay more for what they currently get as linear tv/streaming battle it out

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

You really are talking through your ar*e - sky and BT both paused my sports subs for over 3 months as there were no EPL matches on.

Despite taking no money, the sports channels remained available so I was able to view past recordings and also watch live matches as they became available without any payment.

Additionally, when EPL restarted, I was treated to over 20 extra EPL matches on Sky and 15 or so extra on BT - at no extra cost.

Hardly fits with your assessment of Sky!
They didn't do this through the goodness of their hearts! They simpy wanted to avoid people cancelling their subscriptions.

We all know why Sky and BT showed the free matches, and that was a one-off decision related to the Coronavirus emergency.
Old 11-08-2020, 19:52   #7939
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They didn't do this through the goodness of their hearts! They simpy wanted to avoid people cancelling their subscriptions.

We all know why Sky and BT showed the free matches, and that was a one-off decision related to the Coronavirus emergency.
Nor indeed, do Amazon do it through the goodness of their hearts. They want to sign people up to Prime. It’s a business.

You’re introducing emotive terminology, baselessly, to portray the status quo as bad and streaming as good. I don’t really understand why you relentlessly pursue this agenda on the forum. I’m sure I’m not the only one who finds it somewhat tiresome.

Sky charge “sky high” prices and could reduce the price to make it more accessible. Amazon, of course, will. Baseless nonsense, and I’m sure a free market capitalist such as yourself must see that such a theory is not on solid economic grounds.

Unless of course you don’t think the pay-tv market has sufficient competition and would support Government intervention and further regulation. While I’d welcome it, I don’t see how that benefits the consumer to tie one hand behind the back of Sky/BT to hand the rights to Amazon on the cheap. Indeed, it’d be bad for the League, quality of their product, and all that jazz.
Old 11-08-2020, 21:05   #7940
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Nor indeed, do Amazon do it through the goodness of their hearts. They want to sign people up to Prime. It’s a business.

You’re introducing emotive terminology, baselessly, to portray the status quo as bad and streaming as good. I don’t really understand why you relentlessly pursue this agenda on the forum. I’m sure I’m not the only one who finds it somewhat tiresome.

Sky charge “sky high” prices and could reduce the price to make it more accessible. Amazon, of course, will. Baseless nonsense, and I’m sure a free market capitalist such as yourself must see that such a theory is not on solid economic grounds.

Unless of course you don’t think the pay-tv market has sufficient competition and would support Government intervention and further regulation. While I’d welcome it, I don’t see how that benefits the consumer to tie one hand behind the back of Sky/BT to hand the rights to Amazon on the cheap. Indeed, it’d be bad for the League, quality of their product, and all that jazz.
I quite agree.

Additionally, several times in the past couple of years I have purchased something through Amazon. Every time I have declined the Prime option, but every time apart from the most recent I have very quickly received an e-mail welcoming me to prime.

Several points,

1) if I purchased enough off the internet I might take prime
2) are they really allowed to retain my card details and sign me up using that card?
3) I definitely haven't given them permission to do so
4) they obviously do this because the last time I bought something through them, they didn't even ask for my card details!
5) how do I get them to remove my card details?
Old 13-08-2020, 10:44   #7941
Chris James
cf.member

Chris James is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I quite agree.

Additionally, several times in the past couple of years I have purchased something through Amazon. Every time I have declined the Prime option, but every time apart from the most recent I have very quickly received an e-mail welcoming me to prime.

Several points,

1) if I purchased enough off the internet I might take prime
2) are they really allowed to retain my card details and sign me up using that card?
3) I definitely haven't given them permission to do so
4) they obviously do this because the last time I bought something through them, they didn't even ask for my card details!
5) how do I get them to remove my card details?
1) Log on
2) Open "Your account"
3) Scroll down to the last box - "Membership & Subscriptions"
4) Open the "Membership and Subscriptions" option
5) This will show whether your membership is 'active'
6) Toggle 'membership options' for options
7) If active, will show membership expiry date
8) Click 'Advanced controls' for further options re credit cards

Remember you can cancel subscription at any time and still retain existing benefits. I want mine for tennis but every time I renew for a year I immediately cancel it so it does not auto renew. I think the only way you can remove your credit card is to close your account rather than have it in limbo. When you open an account they ask for a credit card so those details are retained so you cannot have an account without credit card details being held. Unlikely but if the credit card is about to expire you could choose not to update the expiry details to get round it!

Last edited by Chris James; 13-08-2020 at 10:48. Reason: Update
Old 13-08-2020, 13:18   #7942
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris James View Post
1) Log on
2) Open "Your account"
3) Scroll down to the last box - "Membership & Subscriptions"
4) Open the "Membership and Subscriptions" option
5) This will show whether your membership is 'active'
6) Toggle 'membership options' for options
7) If active, will show membership expiry date
8) Click 'Advanced controls' for further options re credit cards

Remember you can cancel subscription at any time and still retain existing benefits. I want mine for tennis but every time I renew for a year I immediately cancel it so it does not auto renew. I think the only way you can remove your credit card is to close your account rather than have it in limbo. When you open an account they ask for a credit card so those details are retained so you cannot have an account without credit card details being held. Unlikely but if the credit card is about to expire you could choose not to update the expiry details to get round it!
Another option is use a pre paid card with Amazon only top it up as you need too aka renewing prime or purchasing from Amazon.
Old 13-08-2020, 14:42   #7943
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Another option is use a pre paid card with Amazon only top it up as you need too aka renewing prime or purchasing from Amazon.
Sounds like a good option, I will investigate thanks - rarely use Amazon (or buy anything online to be fair) so that could be a good option.
Old 13-08-2020, 15:30   #7944
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Sounds like a good option, I will investigate thanks - rarely use Amazon (or buy anything online to be fair) so that could be a good option.
I use the cashplus card for online purchases, it's basically mastercard but pre paid.
Old 13-08-2020, 17:09   #7945
Chris James
cf.member

Chris James is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Even with that I think you need to supply credit card details at the start of registration even if you don't use it for purchases (from what I can remember when I joined eons ago) so they will still store Raider999's details. As a footnote (so Raider999 has a right to be concerned) an Amazon purchase was made with my Credit Card for around £35 a couple of months ago which Amex immediately picked up as a suspected fraud which meant I had to be sent a new card. How that was pursued from their end I have no idea but it was an annoyance.
Old 16-08-2020, 22:40   #7946
jfman
Architect of Ideas

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...08040291310214

Interesting snippet in Amazon being investigated for price controls in Germany is that it is the second largest market to Amazon behind the United States.

Those Bundesliga clubs and indeed all citizens of the Federal Republic, must be salivating at the thought of the national game being bought up for billions and given away free so Amazon can sell some kits and other tat. They’ll remember that first season like the year they broke down the Wall.
Old 17-08-2020, 09:56   #7947
Richardr
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, Braodband
Richardr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Interesting snippet in Amazon being investigated for price controls in Germany is that it is the second largest market to Amazon behind the United States.

Those Bundesliga clubs and indeed all citizens of the Federal Republic, must be salivating at the thought of the national game being bought up for billions and given away free so Amazon can sell some kits and other tat. They’ll remember that first season like the year they broke down the Wall.
Similar to an extent to the position in England, Amazon took over some rights in the previous Bundesliga deal cheaply when they weren't especially wanted (in the German case when Eurosport had bought up some games and decided to offload them).

The latest rights going forward have recently been auctioned, and Amazon have nothing going forward - Sky and DAZN have them.

German Rights News
Old 19-08-2020, 00:35   #7948
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:

Not sure where you get the footy connection from that link?

From what i can see Amazon blocked some retailers from charging 300 euros for a bog roll (or something like that)
Old 19-08-2020, 02:36   #7949
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Always entertained by input to this thread. I’ll just shrug my shoulders for now...
Old 19-08-2020, 23:39   #7950
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Always entertained by input to this thread. I’ll just shrug my shoulders for now...
Closed Thread