Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:29   #571
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Sorry but I disagree with the it’s obviously worse comment. There are many people who suffer from both mental or physical disabilities who are a lot tougher than so called able bodied people.

Stop stigmatising that the bullying of people who suffer from disabilities is somehow worse, it’s not. As before it’s abhorrent in all its forms
It is worse for the reasons outlined and the law recognises this; downplaying it helps nobody. If you watched the programme you will have seen that Mencap are calling for the extension of Hate Crime legislation to deal with internet abuse.

I do recommend that you take a look and hear from those affected and the professionals that care for the disabled.

---------- Post added at 09:29 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Well I'd like to know if anyone of the public intervene? That's when I step in..If I come across it. Doesn't happen in this seaside village because we welcome everyone to come and spend their money and there are a fair few people of all ages living here who are disabled in some way. We also welcome those with mental disabilities as well as those with assistance dogs.
If more people were like the people in your village Maggy, many, many people would have a better quality of life.

Nobody intervened, but I don't know if passers by ignored the incident or if it's because there wasn't any other members of the public present at the time.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 09-02-2019 at 10:33. Reason: Added extra info after a phone call to answer Maggys question.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2019, 13:33   #572
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It is worse for the reasons outlined and the law recognises this; downplaying it helps nobody. If you watched the programme you will have seen that Mencap are calling for the extension of Hate Crime legislation to deal with internet abuse.

I do recommend that you take a look and hear from those affected and the professionals that care for the disabled.[

If more people were like the people in your village Maggy, many, many people would have a better quality of life.

Nobody intervened, but I don't know if passers by ignored the incident or if it's because there wasn't any other members of the public present at the time.
And what about those that aren't disabled?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 13:38   #573
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:

Stop stigmatising that the bullying of people who suffer from disabilities is somehow worse, it’s not. As before it’s abhorrent in all its forms

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 14:05   #574
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
And what about those that aren't disabled?
The programme segment that I recommended to the poster (to hear what it's like first hand from those with learning disabilities who have been attacked both on and offline) and referred to was specifically about disabled people.

I agree that it's unacceptable for anyone to be bullied, but my point is that the effects are likely to be worse for someone who has difficulty understanding the world at the best of times.

If two people were mugged/attacked, one disabled and the other not, it must be far more upsetting & frightening to someone who is nearly blind with a cognitive issue as opposed to someone who can see and process the situation.

About a year ago a friend, who is almost blind, got mugged for his mobile phone. He begged them for his SIM card for his contacts and they gave it back to him.

He promptly went to the police station and the police were able to locate them because their fingerprints were on it
Old 09-02-2019, 14:18   #575
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The programme segment that I recommended to the poster (to hear what it's like first hand from those with learning disabilities who have been attacked both on and offline) and referred to was specifically about disabled people.

I agree that it's unacceptable for anyone to be bullied, but my point is that the effects are likely to be worse for someone who has difficulty understanding the world at the best of times.

If two people were mugged/attacked, one disabled and the other not, it must be far more upsetting & frightening to someone who is nearly blind with a cognitive issue as opposed to someone who can see and process the situation.

About a year ago a friend, who is almost blind, got mugged for his mobile phone. He begged them for his SIM card for his contacts and they gave it back to him.

He promptly went to the police station and the police were able to locate them because their fingerprints were on it
What about elderly or children? There are some what you would consider normal adults who after a mugging or bullying are not the same person for a while if at all. I dislike this labelling of people as it just segregrates people even more.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 14:22   #576
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:

What experiences do you have of someone with learning difficulties being attacked?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 09-02-2019, 15:43   #577
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
What about elderly or children? There are some what you would consider normal adults who after a mugging or bullying are not the same person for a while if at all. I dislike this labelling of people as it just segregrates people even more.
The elderly and children are also classed as vulnerable.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
What experiences do you have of someone with learning difficulties being attacked?
Examples have already been provided.
Old 09-02-2019, 15:55   #578
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:

I do recommend that you take a look and hear from those affected and the professionals that care for the disabled.

How do you know that I don’t suffer from a disability?
Old 09-02-2019, 16:29   #579
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Examples have already been provided.
None then.

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Quote:
Posts in this tread are seemingly powered by assumptions.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 09-02-2019, 16:37   #580
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I don't.

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Quote:
None then.

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Posts in this tread are seemingly powered by assumptions.
Examples were provided today, I suggest you read them.
Old 09-02-2019, 16:42   #581
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Richard you don’t seem to appreciate or understand that the way you’re talking, it comes across as someone who thinks able bodied and those that suffer from disabilities should be treat differently. Something that the vast majority of people who suffer from disabilities simply don’t want
Old 09-02-2019, 16:45   #582
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Richard you don’t seem to appreciate or understand that the way you’re talking, it comes across as someone who thinks able bodied and those that suffer from disabilities should be treat differently. Something that the vast majority of people who suffer from disabilities simply don’t want
Whether disabled people should be treated the same as non disabled people depends upon the context. Sometimes it is appropriate to do so and at other times it's appropriate to treat them more favourably. It would never be appropriate to treat them less favourably.
Old 09-02-2019, 16:46   #583
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:

Examples were provided today, I suggest you read them.
So you have no experience of being someone with learning disabilities getting attacked? Have I got that right?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 09-02-2019, 16:48   #584
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
So you have no experience of being someone with learning disabilities getting attacked? Have I got that right?
I do not propose to repeat myself again.
Old 09-02-2019, 16:48   #585
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Being disabled myself you are very correct in your assumption.