Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 07-02-2019, 20:54   #556
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
What numbers

Its a forum, you made an incorrect statement in a post - I replied. Thats how a forum works.

Ive been a member 15.5 years.
You have been a member 13 years, so perhaps you mean yourself ?

I have work to do so sure.

Remember, If you are so unhappy here, you can always leave, no one is stopping you.
I haven't said I'm unhappy here. I Just take it for what it is now.
Old 07-02-2019, 21:45   #557
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
So something isn't allowed here then. I get the point he might be able to be mentioned in different topics, but I bet that topic would be soon moderatored for being off topic if it went on too long. Seems a silly rule to have that we aren't allowed a thread on him, yet your allowed to call people all names under the sun because you don't agree with them (not forum related, just people in general to do with the EU). I think that's partly were peanut is going with this and I agree with him if it is.
No it's not a silly rule to have, none of our rules are silly.

If I gave the nod for a new Trump topic, within the week, it would be hundreds of posts of argumentative hate, "Trump's a moron, Trump's a orange buffoon, Trump's an idiot and so on...

Boring. The forum can do without that kind of crap and I rightfully closed the Trump thread because of the following:

My thread.

And.... the following clause in our sites terms of use:

We may, for content management purposes, close a thread. This would usually be because the discussion in the thread is not moving along, users are not covering new points, or that the discussion is going around in circles. We would also consider whether the discussion is interesting or motivates participation in the context of the forum subject matter.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 22:07   #558
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
No it's not a silly rule to have, none of our rules are silly.

If I gave the nod for a new Trump topic, within the week, it would be hundreds of posts of argumentative hate, "Trump's a moron, Trump's a orange buffoon, Trump's an idiot and so on...

Boring. The forum can do without that kind of crap and I rightfully closed the Trump thread because of the following:

My thread.

And.... the following clause in our sites terms of use:

We may, for content management purposes, close a thread. This would usually be because the discussion in the thread is not moving along, users are not covering new points, or that the discussion is going around in circles. We would also consider whether the discussion is interesting or motivates participation in the context of the forum subject matter.
Yet you'll gladly let someone openly admitting to breaking the law on your site link below, I think that's kind of the point peanut was making, nothing seems consistent on here.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...0&postcount=43

Last edited by Mythica; 07-02-2019 at 22:35. Reason: Clarity.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 22:17   #559
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

You’ve lost me completely.

And on that note, back on topic.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:45   #560
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

After a meeting with the Health Secretary, Instagram have vowed to take action to try to prevent the encouragement of suicide & self harm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47160460

It's a start
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:54   #561
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Removing anything that encourages self-harm is indeed a very good thing IMO

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 13:56   #562
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
A regulator to oversee foreign sites hosted on foreign servers by foreign companies beyond UK jurisdiction?

One can really see that working.
There's an interesting article here about this:

https://theconversation.com/regulate...an-that-103797

It was also mentioned on the news yesterday that they are thinking of bringing in an international law.

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Whatever people's views on the way that Katie Price conducts her personal life, she has been doing some marvellous work behind the scenes to put in place measures to protect disabled people (and others) from online abuse:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46951232

MP's have concluded that self regulation does not work (my own submitted evidence showed how it's more likely to be the disabled person that is labelled as a trouble causer, too thin skinned etc). The result is that it's more likely to be the disabled person who is driven off the site (which is often their only means of social interaction), than the perpetrators of the harrassment, discrimination etc.

MP's are now supporting calls to make innapropriate online comments (often thinly veiled, but purposely crafted to be as dehumanising, derogatory and degrading as possible) to the disabled a hate crime and a criminal offence. It is noted that much of what is written online by these cowards wouldn't dare be said verbally or face to face; 'keyboard warrior syndrome if you like. I assume that they still think that the internet is totally anonymous and that they can hide behind a username.

If would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who signed this petition, you really are helping to make a difference to the people whose already difficult lives are blighted by these vile individuals; thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Sadly, Katie Price (KP) is having to put her son Harvey into care because his conditions (autism, Prader-Willi syndrome and increasing sight impairment) are no longer manageable at home.

KP said it was his autism and overeating that were the main problems as sufferers often go
Into a 'meltdown', meaning that IT equipment, windows etc have been smashed and her other children are now afraid of him.

It must be a heartbreaking decision for anyone (particularly a parent) to have to make, but one good thing is that she is to use the time freed up to fight for Harvey (and others) to be able to use the internet without suffering from abuse etc.

https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin...-a4061531.html
Old 08-02-2019, 22:14   #563
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Earlier this evening on 'Do The Right Thing' (Channel 5), Esther Rantzen and a charity worker from 'Skills for People', said that over 80% of those with learning disabilities (things like ADHD, autism, dyslexia etc) had experienced bullying in all it's forms, mentally, physically, sexually, and financially.

This bullying has taken place online and offline at places like bus stops etc.

I was aware that those with these conditions faced this treatment, but am shocked that it's this high
Old 08-02-2019, 22:56   #564
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Earlier this evening on 'Do The Right Thing' (Channel 5), Esther Rantzen and a charity worker from 'Skills for People', said that over 80% of those with learning disabilities (things like ADHD, autism, dyslexia etc) had experienced bullying in all it's forms, mentally, physically, sexually, and financially.

This bullying has taken place online and offline at places like bus stops etc.

I was aware that those with these conditions faced this treatment, but am shocked that it's this high
Bullying in any form is unacceptable. Regardless of who it’s aimed at
Old 09-02-2019, 07:41   #565
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
+1
Old 09-02-2019, 09:04   #566
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from RichardCoulter:

but am shocked that it's this high
Depends how you phrase the question.

For example if you ask "Have you ever been bullied in any way because of your condition?" you inevitably will get a very high figure.

Compared to "Have you been bullied because of your condition in the last week?"

Obviously bullying in any way is reprehensible.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:42   #567
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Depends how you phrase the question.

For example if you ask "Have you ever been bullied in any way because of your condition?" you inevitably will get a very high figure.

Compared to "Have you been bullied because of your condition in the last week?"

Obviously bullying in any way is reprehensible.
l don't doubt that some people with conditions get bullied but there are many with no conditions who get bullied as well IMO as bullying comes in many forms and disguises.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:50   #568
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
True, but the effects are obviously worse for someone with a mental disability or illness. Those with learning disabilities stand out more because of how they look or conduct themselves and tend to attract bullies.

Mencap had a day out for adults with learning disabilities in Blackpool recently. Whilst outside Wilkinsons one member of the party was pushed to the ground. She suffered superficial cuts etc and had to be checked out by the hospital because she banged her head, but the mental and emotional scars will take much longer to heal.

Her carer tells me that she keeps mentioning it all the time and trying to work out what happened and won't go out on her own to take the dog out as she used to. Her little piece of independence has been taken away from her because some youths wanted a cheap laugh.

The police say that it has been logged as a hate crime, but there's little they can do because she is nearly blind and there were no CCTV cameras in the area.

If anyone wants to see the article that was on last night, it's here and, IIRC, it's about halfway through:

https://www.my5.tv/do-the-right-thin...on-2/episode-5

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 09-02-2019 at 09:56. Reason: VOD link added.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:55   #569
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Well I'd like to know if anyone of the public intervene? That's when I step in..If I come across it. Doesn't happen in this seaside village because we welcome everyone to come and spend their money and there are a fair few people of all ages living here who are disabled in some way. We also welcome those with mental disabilities as well as those with assistance dogs.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:08   #570
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
True, but the effects are obviously worse for someone with a mental disability or illness. Those with learning disabilities stand out more because of how they look or conduct themselves and tend to attract bullies.

Mencap had a day out for adults with learning disabilities in Blackpool recently. Whilst outside Wilkinsons one member of the party was pushed to the ground. She suffered superficial cuts etc and had to be checked out by the hospital because she banged her head, but the mental and emotional scars will take much longer to heal.

Her carer tells me that she keeps mentioning it all the time and trying to work out what happened and won't go out on her own to take the dog out as she used to. Her little piece of independence has been taken away from her because some youths wanted a cheap laugh.

The police say that it has been logged as a hate crime, but there's little they can do because she is nearly blind and there were no CCTV cameras in the area.

If anyone wants to see the article that was on last night, it's here and, IIRC, it's about halfway through:

https://www.my5.tv/do-the-right-thin...on-2/episode-5
Sorry but I disagree with the it’s obviously worse comment. There are many people who suffer from both mental or physical disabilities who are a lot tougher than so called able bodied people.

Stop stigmatising that the bullying of people who suffer from disabilities is somehow worse, it’s not. As before it’s abhorrent in all its forms