Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

*ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)
Closed Thread

Old 16-03-2005, 18:07   #81
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

Well one burning question even NTL customer service don't seem to know is if uploads are included in the usage limits.
I have been told on different occasions that they do not, but then i have also been told they do as well.
Come on NTL try to get these details right so we can all see how you compare with the other providers.
We can all determine then if its worth staying or going elsewhere
Advertisement
Old 16-03-2005, 18:35   #82
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

The truth is, they don't know. They're still waiting to see what other ISP's do, before jumping in, hence the wait to later in the year.
Old 16-03-2005, 18:44   #83
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling
The truth is, they don't know. They're still waiting to see what other ISP's do, before jumping in, hence the wait to later in the year.
Who says they don't know? They may have looked at the results of their ADSL2+ trials and decided to put all the heavy users on to that with a 18Mbps connection and figured if they did that they didn't need caps.
Old 16-03-2005, 19:22   #84
Griffin
Inactive

Well i had my doubts as to the sanity of NTL when they told me they could do sky tv cheaper than sky could, which is amazing considering they buy their programming from sky in the first place. If they go ahead & enforce the Caps then it will only confirm my original doubts. Incidently my sky package on sky has consistently been at least £8 per month cheaper than ntl's equivalent.
Gives you all an idea of their advertising
Old 16-03-2005, 19:25   #85
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
Incidently my sky package on sky has consistently been at least £8 per month cheaper than ntl's equivalent.
And are you including the cost of a telephone line in your calculations?

If you are I'd be very interested in the package you have.
Old 16-03-2005, 19:33   #86
Griffin
Inactive

even adding the cost of line rental my package still comes out under the ntl one as i got ntl for the phone anyway.
best thing when they do their calculations they always assume you have a bt line if you have sky
Old 16-03-2005, 19:39   #87
Derek
Inactive

Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
even adding the cost of line rental my package still comes out under the ntl one as i got ntl for the phone anyway.
best thing when they do their calculations they always assume you have a bt line if you have sky
Then what is your package? I'm not aware of any difference of that much in the two companies pricing.
Old 16-03-2005, 19:52   #88
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo
Quote:
Then what is your package? I'm not aware of any difference of that much in the two companies pricing.

I dunno who he's with for telecoms, but I suspect it's not BT.
Old 16-03-2005, 19:55   #89
Derek
Inactive

Wink Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle
I dunno who he's with for telecoms, but I suspect it's not BT.
Quote:
as i got ntl for the phone anyway.
*Ahem* I think it might be Ntl for the phone line
Old 17-03-2005, 07:53   #90
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

Hi, just wanted to ask, i have got NetMeter, which is fantastic for letting me keep track, i just wondered if when calculating my 3gb month cap, do i count Upload and Download?
Old 17-03-2005, 07:55   #91
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

I thought it was download only but since I stopped trying to keep up with this thread I'm not sure.
Edit:
And since reading this in the AUP again I'm still convinced it's downstream/ download only
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUP
ntl: home's broadband and dial-up services are intended for normal recreational or educational use by individuals and families and our pricing and network architecture have been designed accordingly. Customers who use the services more heavily than a normal home user will reduce the performance of the network for other customers.

"Normal use" of the service is defined as up to 1 gigabyte downstream of data transfer daily (which equates to approximately 200 music tracks, 650 short videos, 10,000 pictures or around 100 large software programmes downloaded per day).

* Excludes customers who subscribed to ntl's 1 Mb Broadband service with 3 Gigabyte monthly usage allowance on, or after, 8th March 2005. For more information about the 3 Gigabyte monthly usage allowance that applies to this service, click here.
Old 17-03-2005, 17:13   #92
Tindo
Inactive

Tindo is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what we need from NTL: http://www.btyahoo.com/broadbandusage_holding

They even have this:
8. How do I access the usage monitoring tool?

For BT Broadband users, from 1st May 2005 you will be able to monitor your monthly usage by logging into www.bt.com/youraccount and clicking on the Broadband Usage section. If you haven't already signed up as a bt.com user you will need to do so first by visiting this web-site.

For BT Yahoo! Broadband users from 1st May you will be able to monitor your monthly usage by signing in to bt.yahoo.com and visiting the "My Account" area of the site.
awesome......
Old 17-03-2005, 17:19   #93
purenuman
Inactive

Services: SKY+ & NTL 2mb
purenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tindo
This is what we need from NTL: http://www.btyahoo.com/broadbandusage_holding

They even have this:
8. How do I access the usage monitoring tool?

For BT Broadband users, from 1st May 2005 you will be able to monitor your monthly usage by logging into www.bt.com/youraccount and clicking on the Broadband Usage section. If you haven't already signed up as a bt.com user you will need to do so first by visiting this web-site.

For BT Yahoo! Broadband users from 1st May you will be able to monitor your monthly usage by signing in to bt.yahoo.com and visiting the "My Account" area of the site.
awesome......
I think NTL plan similar for 'when' the 1mb hard cap is in operation......
Old 17-03-2005, 17:31   #94
gurgeh
Inactive

gurgeh is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok was thinking about the whole cap thing in the shower the other day and it struck me that introducing a cap is completely pointless.
The way i see it, its not how much an individual downloads that affects performance, its how many individuals download at once. Lets use a traffic analogy for this - A person who drives 200 miles around a city between the hours of 2am and 5am will have virtually no affect on the congestion of that city. However if that same person drove 20 miles between 8 and 8.30 then they would be adding to the gridlock along with the thousands of other ppl who choose to take their journey at that time. Suerly its the same with the ntl network. if a small no. of ppl download 10 gigs through the small hours, the network should be fine, but if evrybody downloads their allotted 1gig in the same couple of hours then we have slowdown. so whats the point in the cap?
i download quite a lot of stuff some days, but as soon as its gets to 6pm i set the pc doing some other stuff so as to free up some bandwidth for the ppl who've just got in at that time. I think ntl would do far better to simply encourage ppl to download sensibly or at least introduce on and off peak caps ( similar to plusnet ).
i must say i've had quite a good connection from ntl for the few years i've been with them aznd it would be a shame if myself and many others had to leave because of these misguided caps.
Old 17-03-2005, 17:40   #95
pazor
Inactive

pazor is an unknown quantity at this point

question..what do ntl do when you do abbuse the download cap.
they call you and ask you to stop ? and if you carry on downloading ?
do they drop your connection ?
Old 17-03-2005, 17:54   #96
purenuman
Inactive

purenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazor
question..what do ntl do when you do abbuse the download cap.
they call you and ask you to stop ? and if you carry on downloading ?
do they drop your connection ?
Nothing!

Later in the year they are going to drop your speed on the 1mb if you go over.

Even this may change in time.......
Old 17-03-2005, 18:15   #97
Rone
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Rone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by purenuman
Nothing!

Later in the year they are going to drop your speed on the 1mb if you go over.

Even this may change in time.......
And do they drop the price for that month\time period?
That would help the billing department no end i'm sure. I've read into this, but theres no mention of price adjustment.
But how could they charge almost £40pm [say your on 3meg] and they find you do'nt stop d\loading and have to "keep" you on a lower tier, say 1meg.
The phrase about opening a can of worms , springs to mind.
Old 17-03-2005, 18:42   #98
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Who said anything about any potential speed drop affecting billing in any way?
The BT approach will drop customers to I think 128kbps for the rest of the month, no change of pricing, you've had what you paid for now you get what you are given for the rest of the charging period.

In fact no operator that's following this approach will give people discounts, that's like saying 'here have your 3Mbps 40GB, then when you're done have an unmetered 300k / 1Mbit / whatever for the rest of the month, get your 40GB done quickly enough and save a packet!' hrmmm nah.
Old 17-03-2005, 18:53   #99
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
Who said anything about any potential speed drop affecting billing in any way?
The BT approach will drop customers to I think 128kbps for the rest of the month, no change of pricing, you've had what you paid for now you get what you are given for the rest of the charging period.

In fact no operator that's following this approach will give people discounts, that's like saying 'here have your 3Mbps 40GB, then when you're done have an unmetered 300k / 1Mbit / whatever for the rest of the month, get your 40GB done quickly enough and save a packet!' hrmmm nah.
but Igni according to ntl its 1 gig a day 2mb and 1 gig a day 3mb so you can't get to 40 gig a month.
Old 17-03-2005, 19:01   #100
purenuman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rone
And do they drop the price for that month\time period?
That would help the billing department no end i'm sure. I've read into this, but theres no mention of price adjustment.
But how could they charge almost £40pm [say your on 3meg] and they find you do'nt stop d\loading and have to "keep" you on a lower tier, say 1meg.
The phrase about opening a can of worms , springs to mind.
The price would not change!

At the moment they have only spoken about hard capping the 1mb so none of the cap talk is relevant to 2&3mb.

NTL said 2&3mb will stay the same i.e. 1 gig a day guideline and you will be contacted if your excessive use impacts on other users.... No speed or tier drop etc.
Closed Thread